Gratuities at Specialty Restaurants

Guest Snaxmuppet
5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

It's a price increase without a doubt.  They could have raised the CG price to $46 and left things the way they were (hidden gratuity; non-refundable).  This new way just seemed to stir the pot among guests.  As it is they increased the meal price from $33.05 to $39 and now make the gratuity explicit (which a lot of guests would have been oblivious to in the past). 

IMO, advantage guests and disadvantage waiters because certain number of guests would have been more inclined to tip extra in the old system, being unaware of the baked-in tip amount.  (Notwithstanding some who would choose to tip extra anyway).  I imagine now that the 18% is explicitly added - as with a bar drink - that more guests will be satisfied they have tipped enough and additional cash won't be forthcoming.

It is not a gratuity it is a service charge. Very different. Gratuities go to the staff (reportedly)... a service charge would not go into the CA pot for the staff... it likely goes just to Princess.

Now, it may be that the semantics are just wrong and it actually is a gratuity but given that Princess have used the term service charge and not gratuity/CA/tip then I assume it is not a gratuity.

I find it very confusing when they talk of gratuities and service charges. They seem at times to be the same thing and at others to be different. I think the key point here is that gratuities are removeable and optional (even if added automatically) whereas service charges are not 

5 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

It is not a gratuity it is a service charge. Very different. Gratuities go to the staff (reportedly)... a service charge would not go into the CA pot for the staff... it likely goes just to Princess.

Now, it may be that the semantics are just wrong and it actually is a gratuity but given that Princess have used the term service charge and not gratuity/CA/tip then I assume it is not a gratuity.

I find it very confusing when they talk of gratuities and service charges. They seem at times to be the same thing and at others to be different. I think the key point here is that gratuities are removeable and optional (even if added automatically) whereas service charges are not 

Very true.  But, it is odd they have a service charge on a cover charge.

Never heard that before.  SMH

44 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Very true.  But, it is odd they have a service charge on a cover charge.

Never heard that before.  SMH

The cover charge is for the upgraded meal.  I don't see it as any different than buying an upgraded liquor at the bar - the bartender and waiter do the same work, but the bottle poured from sets the price and we are charged 18% on the price difference.  the 18% is non-refundable.

5 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Call it what you will or split hairs over definitions perhaps, but the 18% is non-refundable and goes into a tip pool.  All bar service works this way and the 18% is non-refundable.

Princess is not pocketing all this money or they would not have thousands of friendly crew members.

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Call it what you will or split hairs over definitions perhaps, but the 18% is non-refundable and goes into a tip pool.  All bar service works this way and the 18% is non-refundable.

Princess is not pocketing all this money or they would not have thousands of friendly crew members.

No but they may be pocketing some of it... we would never know 🙂