Gratuities at Specialty Restaurants

23 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes I'm aware.  Maybe you misunderstood my post.  The 18% was in effect when we cruised in January on the Regal but because we had prepaid prior to the announcement of the 18% charge, we were not charged the fee on our meal.  As I said it was discussed here when the announcement was made.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Nope! That would mean we would miss all that great food and service in the Reserve DR. No way are we giving that up! 😂

Ken, ya rare bird, welcome back. I enjoyed your thread 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SamFaniam said:

What if you have the premier package where two SD are included?  

We were on Discovery last week with premium package. Went to The Catch twice. There was no slip to sign, and there was no additional charge of tips to our folio.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Yes I'm aware.  Maybe you misunderstood my post.  The 18% was in effect when we cruised in January on the Regal but because we had prepaid prior to the announcement of the 18% charge, we were not charged the fee on our meal.  As I said it was discussed here when the announcement was made.  

Understood. Just posting it for others who have not seen it

on the PCL website.

27 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

LMK, because I usually buy my SD’s way ahead of time and I was charged in 2023.  
Not sure if that theory is right or not, could just be the implementation OB ships is inconsistent.  Wouldn’t be the first time!🤣

Will bookmark this discussion to share our experience in early April.

Although as you wrote there can be different experiences on different ships…they can be consistently inconsistent! 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I found the old (large!) thread where the new service charge was discussed.  Post #236 refers to a TA site that specifies if you prepaid for specialty dining prior to December 1, 2023 then you wouldn't be charged the 18% fee.  Reservations made and paid after December 1, 2023 would be assessed the 18% fee.  We prepaid well before that date and when we sailed in January 2024 we weren't charged.  I just wanted to report our experience.

Screenshot 2024-03-06 6.28.11 PM.png

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, c-boy said:

ya, cause I'm totally confused and now I need a drink 🍸

I am having a Sailing Through the Orchids which I first had at Crooners in January.  Though it is extremely difficult to find Spiced Pear Liquor so I bought Pear Liquor and spiced it myself.  

Gratuity is included in the up charge.l We don't care to triple tip. We've already tipped for the MDR we're not eating at and the gratuity is included in the service charge for the specialty restaurant. Twice tipped on the same meal. enough is enough. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

Gratuity is included in the up charge.l We don't care to triple tip. We've already tipped for the MDR we're not eating at and the gratuity is included in the service charge for the specialty restaurant. Twice tipped on the same meal. enough is enough. 

Since the gratuity is no longer included in the Specialty dining cover charge, eventually there is only one way you can avoid paying it.  Realistically Princess has increased the cover charge for Speciality dining.  

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I found the old (large!) thread where the new service charge was discussed.  Post #236 refers to a TA site that specifies if you prepaid for specialty dining prior to December 1, 2023 then you wouldn't be charged the 18% fee.  Reservations made and paid after December 1, 2023 would be assessed the 18% fee.  We prepaid well before that date and when we sailed in January 2024 we weren't charged.  I just wanted to report our experience.

Screenshot 2024-03-06 6.28.11 PM.png

12 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Gratuity IS included in the specialty restaurant up charge

So you don’t believe the post about an 18% service charge being added for reservations made after 12/1/23? Or don’t you agree that it’s a gratuity which it is & Princess is just calling it an 18% service charge?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

So you don’t believe the post about an 18% service charge being added for reservations made after 12/1/23? Or don’t you agree that it’s a gratuity which it is & Princess is just calling it an 18% service charge?

We book while on board and in January we were not charged the 18%

• Thanks 1

I booked in late December for our upcoming cruise and was charged the flat 39.00 & 35.00 rates for our reservations.  I'll be curious when we sail in a month if they hand us a folio at the end of our meal.  It's been very inconsistent over the years whether we're handed a folio to sign.  I feel like it's happened even if we pre-paid, seemingly just to give the opportunity to add additional tip. This goes back years.  I always wait around after dessert for a little while unsure if they're going to bring out a folio for me to sign but we only give so long before we get up and leave.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Gratuity IS included in the specialty restaurant up charge

3 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

IT's a separate 18% charge now.

@cruzsnooze, I guess you will eventually be paying two if you decide to dine where there is a cover charge.  I prefer to view it has an increase in the cover charge with a required service charge.  Personally I find Princess’s cover charges responsible compare to their competitors.

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

I booked in late December for our upcoming cruise and was charged the flat 39.00 & 35.00 rates for our reservations.  I'll be curious when we sail in a month if they hand us a folio at the end of our meal.  It's been very inconsistent over the years whether we're handed a folio to sign.  I feel like it's happened even if we pre-paid, seemingly just to give the opportunity to add additional tip. This goes back years.  I always wait around after dessert for a little while unsure if they're going to bring out a folio for me to sign but we only give so long before we get up and leave.

Nothing to sign anymore on Princess.  Medallion scan/tap is it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Nothing to sign anymore on Princess.  Medallion scan/tap is it. 

Yes.  If their computers are working, you just walk up and they verify your reservation.  You see the charge on your folio. If you prepay the SD, then you will see the 18% on your folio.

”Magic”   🤣

54 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes.  If their computers are working, you just walk up and they verify your reservation.  You see the charge on your folio. If you prepay the SD, then you will see the 18% on your folio.

”Magic”   🤣

Can it be removed if your not satisfied with the meal or service?

30 minutes ago, 555 said:

I suspect if you raise a big enough stink they will probably do it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 555 said:

Good question.  It just appeared on my folio the next day.

I left it on, however, I did leave a tip at the table.  Wish I had known about the tip ahead of time.  They really made out on that double tip!  Service was just okay.

I am sure you could call or see GS to remove IF it really is a gratuity and service was bad.  
I feel like it is just a price increase for the SD.

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Good question.  It just appeared on my folio the next day.

I left it on, however, I did leave a tip at the table.  Wish I had known about the tip ahead of time.  They really made out on that double tip!  Service was just okay.

I am sure you could call or see GS to remove IF it really is a gratuity and service was bad.  
I feel like it is just a price increase for the SD.

Our last meal in the Crown Grill was terrible but the service was still great. I suppose we should have said something at guest services but didn't. 

This is my rule of thumb for tipping. If the bill comes with an 18% service charge, I don't tip unless the service is so good that I would have left 20%. Then I tip around 2% just to get the tip to what I want it to be. It's not automatic; it depends on the service.

As for tipping cabin stewards and the like, I haven't been on a cruise since "crew appreciation" was part of the fare so I have no idea what I will do. I think it will depend on the service we get.

The very first cruise I was on, I didn't drink at all. So when I went up to the bar, I'd get a can of Diet Coke which was included in my fare. I still tipped the bartender a dollar (hey, it was over 40 years ago -- that was a lot of money back then). I figured that he shouldn't suffer just because I was a teetotaler. Now that an 18% service charge is included and we have the Plus package, I will probably only tip if there is something about the service that would have normally had me tipping more than 18% just like I do on land with restaurants and other services.

And, yes, I'm one of those crazy tip-happy Americans. I can't help myself. It was how I was raised. 😉 

Guest Snaxmuppet
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, 555 said:

They call it a service charge... not a gratuity... however, it does say this under the Crew Appreciation and Service Charge Policy found here...

https://www.princess.com/html/global/disclaimers/crew-appreciation/

A nonrefundable Service Charge of 18% of purchase will be automatically added to optional purchases of beverage packages, drinks, dining room and specialty dining, private group functions, and other elected products, services or amenities provided to guests that are not included in the Cruise Fare. 

I would take from that clause that if your speciality dining is an optional purchase outside any package or other entitlement (suite first night, 2 included with Premier) then it is added and is non-refundable.

I would also take that if your SD is included in a package then no charge will be added.

It also says...

If you pre-paid the Crew Appreciation and/or Service Charge as part of an all-inclusive or other applicable package: (i) the payments are bundled into your fare; (ii) the payments are nonrefundable from the time of purchase, except as part of the cruise fare, which refund shall be provided in accordance with our cancelation policy; and (iii) no additional amount will be added to your onboard account for the Crew Appreciation or for those Service Charges covered by such package.

You may have a different take on it and Princess may mean something else!

Edited by Snaxmuppet

49 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

They call it a service charge... not a gratuity... however, it does say this under the Crew Appreciation and Service Charge Policy found here...

https://www.princess.com/html/global/disclaimers/crew-appreciation/

A nonrefundable Service Charge of 18% of purchase will be automatically added to optional purchases of beverage packages, drinks, dining room and specialty dining, private group functions, and other elected products, services or amenities provided to guests that are not included in the Cruise Fare. 

I would take from that clause that if your speciality dining is an optional purchase outside any package or other entitlement (suite first night, 2 included with Premier) then it is added and is non-refundable.

I would also take that if your SD is included in a package then no charge will be added.

It also says...

If you pre-paid the Crew Appreciation and/or Service Charge as part of an all-inclusive or other applicable package: (i) the payments are bundled into your fare; (ii) the payments are nonrefundable from the time of purchase, except as part of the cruise fare, which refund shall be provided in accordance with our cancelation policy; and (iii) no additional amount will be added to your onboard account for the Crew Appreciation or for those Service Charges covered by such package.

You may have a different take on it and Princess may mean something else!

So the cover charge at the SD is subject to a service charge

of 18% on your check. Anyway, that’s how they word

it on the menu.

That really sounds like an increase in price to me.  Clear as mud.  Plus you don’t get a check anymore.  It goes on your folio.

Thanks for that post.  It makes sense why you are charged sometimes and not other times.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

So the cover charge at the SD is subject to a service charge

of 18% on your check. Anyway, that’s how they word

it on the menu.

That really sounds like an increase in price to me.  Clear as mud.  Plus you don’t get a check anymore.  It goes on your folio.

Thanks for that post.  It makes sense why you are charged sometimes and not other times.

It's a price increase without a doubt.  They could have raised the CG price to $46 and left things the way they were (hidden gratuity; non-refundable).  This new way just seemed to stir the pot among guests.  As it is they increased the meal price from $33.05 to $39 and now make the gratuity explicit (which a lot of guests would have been oblivious to in the past). 

IMO, advantage guests and disadvantage waiters because certain number of guests would have been more inclined to tip extra in the old system, being unaware of the baked-in tip amount.  (Notwithstanding some who would choose to tip extra anyway).  I imagine now that the 18% is explicitly added - as with a bar drink - that more guests will be satisfied they have tipped enough and additional cash won't be forthcoming.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2