Japan on the Millennium - See Kyoto via Osaka

Mom39

16 hours ago, sunfun1433 said:

I am going to Japan on Millenium May 27 and when is Osaka, I found a hotel called "The Bridge Hotel" that I have booked. I am traveling with another friend and my son who is 22 and her grandson who is 21. We will take the train and check out Kyoto but we have booked this hotel to be near the foodie areas at night. This hotel also has free ramen, ice cream and cocktails for a certain time each night. The night we stay, they have a "kimono hour" where you can try them on. (They do this Mondays and Thursdays).

Sounds like fun!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mom39 said:

Thank you.  Good to know.  If it isn't really authentic, maybe all I need is an afternoon tea with a Geisha the next day in Osaka...

I doubt  you will find authentic geisha or maiko in Osaka.  Osaka is almost the opposite of Kyoto.  Down home, funny, gritty, not much of fine culture but I love the place for that reason and so do many people in Japan.  Great with street food.  

I do not know how long you are spending in Kyoto/Osaka area, but if few nights, perhaps stay a night at Granvia right in Kyoto station.  They have many great restaurants in the station itself.  For the night, take a cab to Gion area and stroll around the  street esp near Kamo River.  You may get a glimpse of geisha and maiko going to private tea houses to entertain. Lots of older restaurants, drinking establishments and tea houses in that area. It will be safe. 

good luck.  

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 8:53 PM, Mom39 said:

I have a bad knee (can't walk too much) and would appreciate advice on the best way to see the Geisha culture in Kyoto during while docked in Osaka.

We're booked on the Celebrity Millennium r/t Tokyo on June 8, 2024.  REALLY looking forward to this 12-night cruise with my teenager.  I booked early and managed to take advantage of discounts of up to 50% on shore excursions.  I'm worried about Osaka because I don't want to miss out on seeing the best of Kyoto. The ship will be overnight in Osaka and I look forward to visiting Osaka.  But, I'm worried.  We're currently booked on a Celebrity tour but I don't think it will include any of the Geisha culture in Kyoto and that's something I really want to see.  I'd hate to cancel our tour as it is now a lot more expensive, but, again, I really want to see the Geisha culture in Kyoto, or at least I think I do.  Here's our excursion description ($326 for the two of us for this 9-hour tour because I bought it during a special sale):   Explore Kyoto, the capital of Japanese culture. First stop: Kiyomizu-dera Temple. Head inside for a guided tour after soaking in the magnificent panoramic view of Kyoto city. Next, visit the famous Golden Pavilion, one of Japan's most popular attractions. And don't miss the gorgeous mirror reflection of the temple on the still pond in the garden - it's one of the most stunning scenes you'll ever see. Get to know this brilliant, vibrant city. Then you also visit Nijo castle which is a part of world heritage in Kyoto.

Now, a tour operator recently sent me a quote but they want a whopping $1.4K to take the two of us to Kyoto: 

• Arashiyama Area

> Bamboo Forest

> Togetsu-Kyo Bridge

• Kinkakuji Temple (the Golden Pavillion)
  • Ginkakuji Temple (the Silver Pavilion)
  • Kiyomizu-dera Temple
  • Stroll Higashiyama District if time permits
  • Dinner & Tea Ceremony with Maiko at Nihonbunka-An

And, I'm thinking about just using the train and seeing Kyoto by ourselves.  But, I'm not sure aboutwalking and whether we'd be missing out on a lot by just doing the old town and the Geisha activities.  

So, I'd really appreciate some feedback/advice, particularly if anyone has done the tour we are booked on through Celebrity and/or had a special tour in Kyoto.

Thank you.  

There is a wonderful show on NetFlix, Somebody Feed Phil, the new season is airing now and he does a great 45 minute segment on Kyoto, focus on the wonderful food and the Geisha.  Be fun to watch knowing you will be going there.

Thank you everyone.  I canceled my Celebrity tour for Osaka and booked the Kyoto hotel for our single overnight in Kyoto via Osaka.  I think this was the right decision for us.  I'm still working on planning our day but am happy to report that the  Hotel Granvia Kyoto——-June 11, is only $120.  Thank you everyone.

We have bee to Japan 3 times and already booked a fourth cruise for next year. Love Japan! BUT all the attractions involve walking a stairs !!! 
So I am nor sure about your handicap. The Geisha area is Gion and there are daily performances at the Gion Corner Theater. But yes, it is touristy 🤷🏻‍♂️

We do have some experience to contribute... and some travelogues for you as teasers.

Japan Millennium 2023

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2970853-celebrity-millennium-japan-10242023-liveish-report/

Japan Cherry Blossom Cruise HAL Westerdam 2019
https://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/HAL-Westerdam-Japan-01/hal-westerdam-japan-01.html

Japan Millennium 2017
https://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2024 at 6:51 PM, soccermommy said:

While we were in Tokyo we found a registered tour guide through TripAdvisor who worked with us before our trip to set up an all day tour based on our interests. As a result,  we saw the Imperial Palace, several gardens, hit a couple of tourist areas, a museum,  and ate at a restaurant in the Fish Market area frequented by locals which allowed us to try some of the freshest tuna we have ever had, and got a saki tasting. He was a lovely elder gentleman whose English was excellent and was probably the most organized guide I’ve ever met. I saw a number of tours on TripAdvisor which mention the guides are registered. I would highly recommend that as a good place to start.

Your Tokyo guide sounds wonderful.  Do you remember who it is and/or do you have his contact information?

On 3/10/2024 at 10:08 PM, Miaminice said:

We have bee to Japan 3 times and already booked a fourth cruise for next year. Love Japan! 

Thank so much for the links to your posts.  I will definitely be reviewing them in depth.

We will be going on a cruise next year that goes around Japan for 14 days (Yokohama to Yokohama) and the second leg goes to Vancouver.  The 1st leg goes to Kobe for one day.  We will also be in Yokohama for a day between the two legs.  I've been to Japan before but it was for work and it's been many, many years. I remember loving Kyoto so we're trying to figure out whether to spend our two days before the cruise in Kyoto or Tokyo.  We found direct flights to Osaka so it's not much harder to get to Kyoto than Tokyo.

If we went to Kyoto before the cruise then we were thinking we might see Nara & Osaka when docked in Kobe.   That would give us one day to see Tokyo when docked in Yokohama.  The other option of going to Tokyo before the cruise, we'd have a total of 3 days in Tokyo and we'd see Kyoto when in Kobe. 

What would you recommend?  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Carol

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, carolroad said:

Carol

That is a tough question... if you haven´t been to Tokyo before I´d do Tokyo pre cruise and Kyoto when in Kobe  - best of both worlds.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, carolroad said:

We are on a 13-day Best of Japan that does an overnight in Kobe and an overnight in Osaka.  Which makes touring  Kobe, Osaka, and Kyoto all reasonable.  So, i would recommend Tokyo/Yokohama pre-cruise.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, carolroad said:

Your Tokyo guide sounds wonderful.  Do you remember who it is and/or do you have his contact information?

Do you have details contact or information on the guide you usef

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2024 at 2:01 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Do an internet search. There are about a half dozen companies that do small group shore excursion tours at Japanese ports.  Also go to both the ports and your rollcall.   Likely something is already there.

Do you have any actual names of Tour companies?

I am on the May 27 r/t Tokyo.  Anybody else on that one?.

Most EVERY tour is sold out, so it looks like I will be hiring independents!

I am traveling solo.

Any suggestions?  I have been looking on line, but so far have not found any day tour companies that will come to the ship and take me on a tour of Kyoto.

I know they must exist.  I am hoping somebody here has some info.

2 hours ago, CrispenFairchild said:

I am traveling solo.

Any suggestions?  I have been looking on line, but so far have not found any day tour companies that will come to the ship and take me on a tour of Kyoto.

look at #31 for links with lots of info

14 hours ago, CrispenFairchild said:

I am traveling solo.

Did you try the Roll call for your cruise?

On 3/7/2024 at 5:06 PM, sunfun1433 said:

I am going to Japan on Millenium May 27 and when is Osaka, I found a hotel called "The Bridge Hotel" that I have booked. I am traveling with another friend and my son who is 22 and her grandson who is 21. We will take the train and check out Kyoto but we have booked this hotel to be near the foodie areas at night. This hotel also has free ramen, ice cream and cocktails for a certain time each night. The night we stay, they have a "kimono hour" where you can try them on. (They do this Mondays and Thursdays).

Sounds great!  Do you know how to get to the train station from the ship?

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone.  I ended up booking a guide/driver and he will pick us up at the port and drop us off at the port the next day following our night in Kyoto at the Hotel Granvia Kyoto.  The hotel concierge arranged the driver and I think the cost is reasonable.  The hotel is only $120/night and the concierge has been very helpful.  Helps me to look forward to Japan.  This situation isn't best for everyone but I figure it is worth the cost given the possibility of bad weather and knee pain 🙂. Plus, there's lots I want to see and I don't know if I'll make it back to Kyoto.

• Like 1