Flexible transfers for late flights on Debarkation Day

This is just our 2nd Viking Cruise so don't have much experience with them. We haven't booked our air yet but I have researched and  flights from Buenos Aires it looks like most options are late, many being around 10:00 pm.  If we have transfers with Viking will they allow late Debarkations so as not to be spending hours at the airport?  I ask because we had a late flight from a cruise in Tahita and were allowed to stay on board till late afternoon when they took us to the airport.  Of course we had to vacate our cabin but we left our luggage in a lounge, and then could use on the facilities, have lunch ect.  

We are leaning towards booking our own air but purchasing Viking Transfers.  Would appreciate input from any of you who have had experience with this issue.  I should add I asked a few agents but they couldn't answer and suggested I talk to the air department but I can't do that unless we book with them.  

On our last cruise with Viking, we had purchased our own air.  A few days before the end of the cruise, Viking left a paper in our cabin so we could purchase a transfer. We wanted the latest time, which was 9:30am. On the transfer request form, this email is listed. Try asking them. optional.transfers@vikingcruises.com

A lot depends on the port where you are disembarking. Some ports require that the ship be completely cleared of departing pax before arriving pax can board. Sometimes, you can arrange to stay on-board. Sometimes, it depends on how many people have late flights.

Viking has a number of ways of dealing with evening departures. Hopefully, those who have done Buenos Aires with Viking will see this thread and share their experiences with you.

If the e-mail above doesn't have the information you need, try tellus@vikingcruises.com.

Also, consider arranging a day tour plus transfer to the airport (there is definitely plenty to see in Buenos Aires). You could use the roll call for your sailing to arrange such for a small group.

34 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

I should add I asked a few agents but they couldn't answer and suggested I talk to the air department but I can't do that unless we book with them.

Save yourself the frustration; the call center agents were wrong. Viking Air only books flights; it has nothing to do with transfers.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  When I first researched flights I only looked on Delta as that is our preference but just went back and looked at Travelocity and they do have a number of early afternoon flights (even one with Delta)  So, may not be an issue.  I did ask about a day tour that would end at the Airport but was told that isn't an options. Did this from London but not with the cruise line.  They took us from London to Stonehenge and then to the ship in Southampton. They also offered reverse with tour to end at the airport.  Good deal.  

Peregrina-I have seen many posts from you over the years and it always catches my eye because you are in Boston.  I grew up outside Boston but have been on the west coast for many years now. Whenever I see a reference to Massachusetts I am flooded with a wave of nostalgia for the 50's and 60's in rural New England.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ready to Sail! said:

This is just our 2nd Viking Cruise so don't have much experience with them. We haven't booked our air yet but I have researched and  flights from Buenos Aires it looks like most options are late, many being around 10:00 pm.  If we have transfers with Viking will they allow late Debarkations so as not to be spending hours at the airport?  I ask because we had a late flight from a cruise in Tahita and were allowed to stay on board till late afternoon when they took us to the airport.  Of course we had to vacate our cabin but we left our luggage in a lounge, and then could use on the facilities, have lunch ect.  

We are leaning towards booking our own air but purchasing Viking Transfers.  Would appreciate input from any of you who have had experience with this issue.  I should add I asked a few agents but they couldn't answer and suggested I talk to the air department but I can't do that unless we book with them.  

We had a Viking post cruise extension in Buenos Aires after our Expedition cruise that disembarked in Ushuaia. The charter flight from Ushuaia had a mix of passengers that were on the extension and those catching late flights home. Those leaving that night were taken to international departures for their multi-hour wait.

If you are disembarking In Buenos Aires, you will have a looong wait. If you have a Viking transfer, sometimes they will rent a hotel meeting room or before hours restaurant to wait in. They need to clear the ship to prepare for arriving passengers. I don’t think you can stay onboard later that 9:00 or 10:00 AM.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Yes, hanging out in an airport for 10-12 hours isn't an option for us. The time we were allowed to stay on,  the ship did not sail until the next day which is the case on this cruise so thought I would ask.  Actually spending that time in a meeting room or restaurant doesn't sound much better! 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Yes, hanging out in an airport for 10-12 hours isn't an option for us. The time we were allowed to stay on,  the ship did not sail until the next day which is the case on this cruise so thought I would ask.  Actually spending that time in a meeting room or restaurant doesn't sound much better! 

When we finished in Buenos Aires, several people did a tour that then dropped them and luggage at airport for eve flights.  They booked via Viator.  I don’t know where you got the info that’s it not possible.  Check multiple sights even trip advisor, of even your travel agent.  It IS being done!  

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1

I probably wasn’t clear. What I meant is Viking isn’t offering this as far as I’ve seen.  I just haven’t researched independent sources yet but yes, know it is possible and we have done so ourselves. Just wanted to know our options with Viking first. Thank you, good to know it’s an option in BA. 

We are just returned from the reverse run of this itinerary (Buenos Aires to Santiago). A few days into the cruise, we were offered a choice of four different day long excursions in Santiago which all ended at the airport. We chose one that included Bicentennial Park and the Bahai Temple. We disembarked about 8:30 am and proceeded through customs and passport control.  We identified our luggage in the terminal and handed it off to porters who secured it in a locked truck for the day. 

We then boarded a coach for an all day tour of Santiago.  Our guide was knowledgeable and engaging.  We were fed a delicious lunch at a lovely restaurant overlooking the Bicentennial Park.  Around 5 pm, were dropped off at the airport where we reclaimed our luggage. The cost was $249 per person, IIRC. 

Our flight was not until 11:20 pm, so we still had several hours to kill in the airport.  The biggest downside was that we could not check in until 3 hours before our departure, so we spent a few hours sitting with our bags.  We had some dinner and people watched for a bit and then it was time to check in. In my opinion, it was better than spending 14 hours at the airport.  

Viking did offer a "hospitality room" at a hotel in Santiago for those pax with late flights. I am not sure what this looked like as we chose the other option. 

I hope this helps. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Thanks for the replies.  When I first researched flights I only looked on Delta as that is our preference but just went back and looked at Travelocity and they do have a number of early afternoon flights (even one with Delta)

Go back and look again.

Delta has the one non-stop from EZE to ATL.  What they also have are a number of code-shares on other carriers, including Aerolineas and LATAM - many of which have stops in South America before heading to the USA.

Further, I would never use Travelocity (or other OTAs) as any kind of definitive reference.

My own suggestion is that since you have traveled all that way to Argentina, don't rush home.  Spend a couple of days in Buenos Aires, a city that is both delightful and a bargain for USA citizens.

Also, it is quite easy to get to/from EZE airport.  Many companies provide "remis" private cars, with Tiende Leon as my favorite.

I  don't book with Travelocity, I just use it as a research site along with a few others. Get an Idea of what is available and then go directly with the airlines.  Delta has a number of non stops to either Altanta or LA which would be our choice since we live in No. Ca. We fly from Sacramento, which will be necessary for either ATL or LAX  

Your idea of a few days in BA certainly would be worth considering but our cruise is overnight in BA so I think that will be enough for us, getting a day to see the sights on the day we dock.    We are senior-seniors!  who are at the point that 18 days will probably be pushing our endurance.                                                                                                                                                            We are trying to keep it as simple and stress free as possible. Also, I think what I said was the first time I looked on Delta there were no flights other than later in the day.  My main concern at this point is not sitting 10-12 hours at an airport so hoping Viking had some options/flexibility with their transfers.  I will keep looking and hope to come up with some earlier flights.  

I couple of you suggested I contact optional transfers at Viking which I will do today.  Thank you everyone.  

6 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

I  don't book with Travelocity, I just use it as a research site along with a few others. Get an Idea of what is available and then go directly with the airlines.  Delta has a number of non stops to either Altanta or LA which would be our choice since we live in No. Ca. We fly from Sacramento, which will be necessary for either ATL or LAX 

If you say so.  DL doesn't fly from deep South America into LAX.  Their partner LATAM does, though with stops.  I'd wager that you are seeing DL codes on LATAM or Aerolineas flights, and with stops.

As for Travelocity for research....know that they will display consolidator tickets, along with itineraries that are cobbled together on separate tickets.  Caveat emptor.

Posted (edited)

FlyerTalker. You're obviously an expert on this subject and I do appreciate your expertize (and I am not being facetious).  I may take a different approach but having booked our flights myself for as long as possible on the internet, I do understand how international travel usually does involve a alternative or partner airline.  Most of our international trips have.  I haven't gone back to look but am sure you are correct about BA and Delta. At this point in life my initial searches are prioritized by least number of airports, and shortest overall travel time.   Hubby and I have agreed over the last 10 years at least that if are to continue travel as long as we can  comfort and airport experiences have to be a priority over cost.  My initial question was related to Viking and options for either transfers or excursion on Debarkation day  which would avoid long day at the BA airport IF we should need to book a late day flight. Just curious, did you work in the travel industry, or just well versed? Again, I am not being snarky.(so easy to misread tones on these sites and I admit when I first read your responses I thought you were mansplaining to me🤣)

Edited by Ready to Sail!
  • Like 2

Ready to Sail - just FYI…I used google flights.com to search options.  It appears there are options on American, United and Delta from Sacramento to Buenos Aires and vice versa. As you noted the flights from EZE to the U.S. leave late in the evening.  Latam has a flight leaving at 3:55pm with stops in Santiago, Chile and LAX.  

We disembarked Viking Jupiter 10 days ago in Santiago Chile and faced the same situation with a 11:55pm flight.  We left the ship at 8:15am.  Everyone had to disembark by 9am.  We arranged for a private tour through Tours by Locals with a drop off at the airport by 5:30pm.  We booked a room at the Holiday Inn Santiago airport so we could nap and shower before the long flight home.  We were only at the hotel for 4 hours so while a bit expensive for only a few hours it did help to rest and freshen up.  There may be similar options for you in Buenos Aires.

Enjoy your trip.  

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 2:51 AM, Ready to Sail! said:

Your idea of a few days in BA certainly would be worth considering but our cruise is overnight in BA so I think that will be enough for us, getting a day to see the sights on the day we dock.    We are senior-seniors!  who are at the point that 18 days will probably be pushing our endurance.                                                                                                                                                            We are trying to keep it as simple and stress free as possible. Also, I think what I said was the first time I looked on Delta there were no flights other than later in the day.  My main concern at this point is not sitting 10-12 hours at an airport so hoping Viking had some options/flexibility with their transfers.  I will keep looking and hope to come up with some earlier flights.  

I couple of you suggested I contact optional transfers at Viking which I will do today.  Thank you everyone.  

If you have not been to Iguazu Falls, I highly suggest you take the time and go.  It’s a short flight from BA through their domestic airport.  This really was a side trip of a lifetime.

When we did this trip (we have gone in both directions), Viking set up a hospitality center at one of the hotels in BA.  Those who had earlier flights went there, those with later flights got a tour.  
We flew AeroMexico to Seattle to Santiago through Mexico City the first time, Delta the second.  The Delta flight through ATL was a much longer day.  
For getting from Santiago to Valparaiso, we spent a few days in Santiago, then hired a private driver who took us to vineyards and wine tastings, we got a tour of Valparaiso, then dropped off at the ship.  In BA, we used the hospitality room to catch our domestic flight out of the airport (not EZE, it was a short cab ride) to Iguazu.  

12 hours ago, Harley57 said:

Ready to Sail - just FYI…I used google flights.com to search options.  It appears there are options on American, United and Delta from Sacramento to Buenos Aires and vice versa. As you noted the flights from EZE to the U.S. leave late in the evening.  Latam has a flight leaving at 3:55pm with stops in Santiago, Chile and LAX.  

We disembarked Viking Jupiter 10 days ago in Santiago Chile and faced the same situation with a 11:55pm flight.  We left the ship at 8:15am.  Everyone had to disembark by 9am.  We arranged for a private tour through Tours by Locals with a drop off at the airport by 5:30pm.  We booked a room at the Holiday Inn Santiago airport so we could nap and shower before the long flight home.  We were only at the hotel for 4 hours so while a bit expensive for only a few hours it did help to rest and freshen up.  There may be similar options for you in Buenos Aires.

Enjoy your trip.  

The hotel room option is a great suggestion.  I had read that Viking might take us to a hospitality room at at a hotel but that doesn't sound any better than being at the airport.  The other option I want to explore is leaving the ship the afternoon/evening before (of course on our own arranged shuttle)  I will need to talk to Viking about that. Actually my husband left a cruise a day early via helicopter in the Gulf of Alaska due to medical emergency with my FIL, but that's another story for another day and certainly not pre arranged!!! Thank you so much for the information about flights also.  I know there are plenty of options to explore. We have mileage program with Delta so try to use whenever possible. 

9 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

If you have not been to Iguazu Falls, I highly suggest you take the time and go.  It’s a short flight from BA through their domestic airport.  This really was a side trip of a lifetime.

When we did this trip (we have gone in both directions), Viking set up a hospitality center at one of the hotels in BA.  Those who had earlier flights went there, those with later flights got a tour.  
We flew AeroMexico to Seattle to Santiago through Mexico City the first time, Delta the second.  The Delta flight through ATL was a much longer day.  
For getting from Santiago to Valparaiso, we spent a few days in Santiago, then hired a private driver who took us to vineyards and wine tastings, we got a tour of Valparaiso, then dropped off at the ship.  In BA, we used the hospitality room to catch our domestic flight out of the airport (not EZE, it was a short cab ride) to Iguazu.  

We did think about the Falls but just looked at the Viking post cruise options which sounded awfully costly. We will at least consider doing on our own again.  I know our daughter regrets not going when she was in Peru  but chose  Machu Picchu as her highlight and no regrets there. Thanks for the airline info also.  We have actually been routed through Seattle on many international flights and to Alaska.  We will avoid Atlanta if at all possible.  Thank you for all the helpful information.  Seems like Viking doesn't have great options so will probably just do on our own even if just to the airport.  

9 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

We did think about the Falls but just looked at the Viking post cruise options which sounded awfully costly. We will at least consider doing on our own again.  I know our daughter regrets not going when she was in Peru  but chose  Machu Picchu as her highlight and no regrets there. Thanks for the airline info also.  We have actually been routed through Seattle on many international flights and to Alaska.  We will avoid Atlanta if at all possible.  Thank you for all the helpful information.  Seems like Viking doesn't have great options so will probably just do on our own even if just to the airport.  

We did Iguazu Falls on our own and it was far cheaper than Viking.  Unfortunately, I don’t remember what tour company we went with, but I seem to remember that it was about $600pp for flights, hotel, tour guide, ground transport…..both Brazil and Argentina sides.  Hotels were ok, nothing special.  That was ok, it was only 2 nights.
I just found the old email.  The tour site was Ecouruguay.com.  As I remember, they were fairly responsive to my emails with info.  However, this was in 2019 so can’t be sure they are not a Covid casualty.  
We went to Iguazu the evening we got off the ship.  Next morning Argentina side.  Next day Brazil side.  We had an evening flight into BA, caught a taxi to our hotel and spent the next few days seeing BA (highly suggest seeing the Opera Hall, it’s spectacular, and was incredibly disappointed that there were no shows while we were there).  

Thank you Mich.  I have made note of the company and if this is what we decide to do will certainly check with them.  We are still almost 10 months away from our sail date right now but final payment due soon.  We are just starting to think this trip through as far as pre and post days before we book our air, and of course all options before booking flights.  

Thank you for suggestion, and information.