Martinis at high tea?

Wedgie Wedgie

20 minutes ago, Wedgie Wedgie said:

Is this frowned upon?

Bar Service is not offered in the Queens Room.

Champagne is only offered at the Champagne High Tea.

Unless you bring your own drink into the Tea Service on your own.

I believe that drinking martinis would be an odd look during Afternoon Tea…the Commodore Club would be a better venue for mid-afternoon Martinis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to be pedantic, but it is Afternoon Tea, not high tea.

Afternoon tea is posh, with fancy little sandwiches and sweet cakes, served between about 3 and 5pm.

High tea is/was a more substantial often savoury affair, usually a meal taken later, at the end of a working day.

Although having said that, we Australians seem to have b*stardised yet another British term!  Many places in Australian cities offer exorbitantly priced "High Tea" where you will be served a similar spread to that which is served in the Queens Rooms on Cunard ships.

• Like 9

On 3/8/2024 at 12:45 AM, Wedgie Wedgie said:

Is this frowned upon?

Who's looking?

It's your holiday.

If you want a Martini, collect at the bar and take it with you if there's no bar service in the Queens Room.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, maggielou362 said:

Actually, on reflection I agree (again), Victoria 😄

Why not have a martini with tea, either afternoon or high?

Well, I would say because Martinis taste horrid. But, even if you adore them, don’t they make rather an odd taste combination with scones and cakes?

• Like 2

Well now I see your point of view too, exlondoner. I also personally think they're horrid, and tea is the only thing I would drink with scones and cakes, but I can't help agreeing with Victoria, if that's your poison, then go for it. No frowns at martinis from me, just not my "cup of tea" 🙄😆

I am such a fence sitter!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Well, I would say because Martinis taste horrid. But, even if you adore them, don’t they make rather an odd taste combination with scones and cakes?

I'm not a fan either or of a few things taste bud wise, but if folk are and they're on holiday, then go for it. No need to ask for opinions as there are bound to be many different ones offered.

No rules, spoken/unspoken traditional or otherwise are broken when drinking Martinis with afternoon tea!!!  😅

• Like 1

Hello,

I'm with Ernest Hemingway: One Martini is enough, two Martinis are too many, three Martinis are not enough.

Regards.

Cublet

• Like 3

I totally agree with all of the above posters who say "go for it"....it's your vacation and you should do what you'd like. A martini at tea would hardly be the strangest thing I've seen on Cunard!

Don't get me started on that thought......giggle!

• Like 1

I obviously wouldn't know the answer to the specific point about martinis, but there are sommeliers going around the Queens Room during tea, mainly trying to flog the champagne package. I suspect they will be OK to get martinis too, though it may take a few minutes to organise.

I would imaagine that some of the wait staff might try to accomodate but the arrival of the cocktail might be well after tea has left the Queens Room. First the waiter would have to recweive permission from his supervisor to leave the room and ry to find the nearest bar that is open at 3 pm, then wait for the surprise request and find their way back to the Queen's room. Best skip it.

8 hours ago, Mudhen said:

... A martini at tea would hardly be the strangest thing I've seen on Cunard!

Don't get me started on that thought......giggle!

Come on, Mudhen.

Spill the beans.

Or maybe start a new thread on the strangest things seen on Cunard.

All traditions have to start somewhere....and I'm pretty sure that Cunard would be happy to sell more martinis. Heck, I don't really like martinis but how cool to be sitting the Queens Room with a couple of egg salad sandwiches, a string quartet playing and have a martini delivered to your table on a silver tray, shaken, not stirred, of course.

Go for it Wedgie Wedgie.

Jack

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You'll never find a bigger martini drinker than me (extra dry Tanqueray, straight up, with a twist, please), but only as a pre-dinner drink. The idea of a martini at teatime is sickening. The flavors just don't harmonize; in fact, they clash horribly.

Of course, this is only my opinion. But I'm right!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are indeed, kind sir.  Although I like mine wet with an olive.  But at tea??? The sun isn't over my yardarm at that hour.

"where's the sun?"

"well over the yard arm sir"

"well pour the gin"

The Battle of the River Plate (1956).

2 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

You are indeed, kind sir.  Although I like mine wet with an olive.  But at tea??? The sun isn't over my yardarm at that hour.

"where's the sun?"

"well over the yard arm sir"

"well pour the gin"

The Battle of the River Plate (1956).

Exactly as I like my martinis, which I only ever drink on a cruise, but never before 6pm.  One of life’s little pleasures at sea.

Like I said Wedgie Wedgie , different opinions offered so you go for it as yours is the only opinion which counts here!  🙂

ps, my tipple of choice, L.I.I.T. of an afternoon would have me wobbling, two and I would need a nap until dinner!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Like I said Wedgie Wedgie , different opinions offered so you go for it as yours is the only opinion which counts here!  🙂

ps, my tipple of choice, L.I.I.T. of an afternoon would have me wobbling, two and I would need a nap until dinner!

Good heavens, I’ve just looked that up. I think one at any time of day would finish me off - probably for the entire voyage. Anyway, I often need a nap in the afternoon without the intervention of alcohol. Definitely a lightweight.

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Good heavens, I’ve just looked that up. I think one at any time of day would finish me off - probably for the entire voyage. Anyway, I often need a nap in the afternoon without the intervention of alcohol. Definitely a lightweight.

and I'd need the intervention of alcohol to induce a day time nap. 🙂

That or a really 'worthy' book to read, which is why I go for very lightweight holiday reading.

Talking of which, I hope QA has as good a library as her sisters. I might load my iPad and Kindle, just in case I'm disappointed. 🤞

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

and I'd need the intervention of alcohol to induce a day time nap. 🙂

That or a really 'worthy' book to read, which is why I go for very lightweight holiday reading.

Talking of which, I hope QA has as good a library as her sisters. I might load my iPad and Kindle, just in case I'm disappointed. 🤞

At least it has a library, helpful situated next to the Commodore Club. It doesn’t look terribly large.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

The idea of a martini at teatime is sickening. The flavors just don't harmonize

Of course, this is only my opinion. But I'm right!

Jim

Understandable opinion...

Edited by BklynBoy8