Civitavecchia port/ship to train/bus?

CanuckonaBoat

We need to get from our ship in Civitavecchia to either the bus OR train to go to Rome - Can someone please take me step-by-step about how this works? 

I have tried to research this -  but have some questions:

• How far does the shuttle pick you up from your ship to take you to Largo della Pace (entrance of the port?) ?
  • Is there any PRIVATE transfer that I can book that will pick up directly at the ship and take us to the train station in Civitavecchia?

I need to minimize the number of changes with 2 kids and 4 suitcases. 

Thank you! 

Posted (edited)

It would be absurdly expensive to pay for private transport to go one or two miles (depending on your berthing location).

The free port shuttle bus takes you to Largo della Pace, which is one mile on foot from the train station.

For six euro per person you can take the port mobility bus directly from your ship/the cruise terminal (again, depending on berthing location) to the train station.

Civitavecchia Train Station | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

Edited by euro cruiser

22 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

It would be absurdly expensive to pay for private transport to go one or two miles (depending on your berthing location).

The free port shuttle bus takes you to Largo della Pace, which is one mile on foot from the train station.

For six euro per person you can take the port mobility bus directly from your ship/the cruise terminal (again, depending on berthing location) to the train station.

Civitavecchia Train Station | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

It has been a while, but we have previously walked from our pier to the train station.  Depending on the docking location that can be about the same distance as walking from Largo della Pace (have done this too).  Not sure if they still let folks walk through the port (we will be there next month and might check it out).  

Thanks for posting about the 6 Euro bus. I do not recall that option (in the past) and it sounds convenient.  I guess the devil will be in the details (i.e. how often does it really run).  We still miss the free bus to the fort.

Hank

20 hours ago, Hlitner said:

It has been a while, but we have previously walked from our pier to the train station.  Depending on the docking location that can be about the same distance as walking from Largo della Pace (have done this too).  Not sure if they still let folks walk through the port (we will be there next month and might check it out).  

Thanks for posting about the 6 Euro bus. I do not recall that option (in the past) and it sounds convenient.  I guess the devil will be in the details (i.e. how often does it really run).  We still miss the free bus to the fort.

Hank

I was under the impression cruise shuttle pick up and drop off was near the fort, where the small kissing statue is. I watched a recent YouTube video where they boarded a bus there that took them to the terminal. Is it in Largo Della Pace instead? 

IMG_2621.jpeg

Euro Cruisers can certainly speak to the issue.  But, the history of this port is that several years ago there were free shuttle buses that moved between a stop close to the Fort (an easy walk to the train station).  Then a few short years ago, the authorities changed the design of the port entrance and stopped the free shuttle buses to the fort.  The buses (still free) were re-routed to a newly built bus stop outside the port at the Largo Della Pace.  From this bus stop folks could walk or take a different shuttle bus to the train station (this bus had a small fee) which is about one mile distant.  

The last time we were at the port the entrance by the Fort was still open (for pedestrians) but there was no longer a shuttle bus from that area to the various piers.  Since we have not been to this port in about 2 years, I cannot be sure of the current situation.  Since we are talking about Italy, I also look at the various official web sites with a healthy degree of skepticism.  For us, as very independent travelers/cruisers, we rely on trusted RECENT sources (such as Euro Cruiser, Cruisemom, etc) and our own eyes.  The ideal solution, for many of us, would be if the free shuttle bus simply made a stop near the Fort before (or after) proceding to Largo della Pace.  But that makes too much sense, so we do not hold out a lot of hope.

I also mentioned that we have previously walked in and out of the port to the various piers.  It can be a long hike (perhaps a mile) depending on the pier.  The port used to have a marked walkway and we never had an issue except one time when the port police stopped us as we neared one of the internal security gates (which also have a pedestrian walkway).  The policeman spoke no English, we speak no Italian, so after a few hand gestures (after all, it is Italy) we continued on our way :).

For us it is all just business as usual.  When we return to the port (next month), if the weather is good, we will walk off our ship and do whatever feels right at the time :).

Hank

Hank

We were there last October. The shuttle pick up was at the port side of the Fort (see map).

We were docked about the farthest away from town, but walked all the way to the  Fort. The pedestrian walkway is clearly marked. Nobody tried to stop us.

IMG_2230.png

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, BBWC said:

We were there last October. The shuttle pick up was at the port side of the Fort (see map).

We were docked about the farthest away from town, but walked all the way to the  Fort. The pedestrian walkway is clearly marked. Nobody tried to stop us.

IMG_2230.png

Wow that’s where I originally was planning on going, which is very convenient next to our hotel. It’s confusing because the port website and google maps say the shuttle is at Largo Della Pace. The YouTube video I watched recently showed it was by the fort, and google maps also says it’s by the fort. Maybe both locations have free shuttles to the terminal. 

Edited by Thisguylikestocruise

9 minutes ago, Thisguylikestocruise said:

Wow that’s where I originally was planning on going, which is very convenient next to our hotel. It’s confusing because the port website and google maps say the shuttle is at Largo Della Pace. The YouTube video I watched recently showed it was by the fort, and google maps also says it’s by the fort. Maybe both locations have free shuttles to the terminal. 

We walked by Largo Della Pace. There did not appear to be shuttles any more.

Posted (edited)

Part of the confusion arises because there are two completely different areas where cruise ships dock at Civitavecchia, about two and a half miles apart.

Berth #25, which is usually where the biggest ships are located, is over a mile north of the Largo della Pace entrance/exit.  You are not allowed to walk from this berthing location.

The rest of the cruise berths are out on the spit, near the fort/southern entrance/exit (Varco Fortezza).  You can walk from here into town, there are marked pedestrian walkways.  The furthest out quay is #13 north, from here to the train station is about one and three quarter miles on foot.  The closest in one is #12 south, from here to the train station is about one and a quarter miles on foot.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Part of the confusion arises because there are two completely different areas where cruise ships dock at Civitavecchia, about two and a half miles apart.

Berth #25, which is usually where the biggest ships are located, is over a mile north of the Largo della Pace entrance/exit.  You are not allowed to walk from this berthing location.

The rest of the cruise berths are out on the spit, near the fort/southern entrance/exit (Varco Fortezza).  You can walk from here into town, there are marked pedestrian walkways.  The furthest out quay is #13 north, from here to the train station is about one and three quarter miles on foot.  The closest in one is #12 south, from here to the train station is about one and a quarter miles on foot.

I’ll be on Odyssey in September. Royal Caribbean usually sends an email a couple weeks before the cruise with terminal information and directions. I’m assuming it’ll make it more clear what to do. 

For our cruise in July we ended at Civi and a few days before the end we got something in our room from Royal about them arranging transportation for various things so we went to guest services and they booked a shuttle to the train station for us. I do not remember the cost. It was so easy we had taken our luggage off the ship and saw one of the employees who had us wait until the other family who was apparently sharing with us arrived. The shuttle was right there as we walked out of the terminal and were dropped off right in front of the train station. Just had to buy our tickets and see which track the next train to Rome was on and get there and stamp our tickets in the green things along the way.

On 3/12/2024 at 2:13 AM, CynBeth6 said:

For our cruise in July we ended at Civi and a few days before the end we got something in our room from Royal about them arranging transportation for various things so we went to guest services and they booked a shuttle to the train station for us. I do not remember the cost. It was so easy we had taken our luggage off the ship and saw one of the employees who had us wait until the other family who was apparently sharing with us arrived. The shuttle was right there as we walked out of the terminal and were dropped off right in front of the train station. Just had to buy our tickets and see which track the next train to Rome was on and get there and stamp our tickets in the green things along the way.

Your cruiseline sounds organised! I hope that Disney does this even though it's our debarkation day. 

We are on Oasis OTS in May for a port stop and I'm finding it so confusing on how to get to the train station. I'm hoping it becomes obvious on the day.

If we give ourselves an hour from leaving our cabin to our booked train at Civitavecchia is that sufficient to navigate the various shuttles and walking? With a toddler in a stroller?

If you're taking a regional train there's no need, and no point, to booking ahead, just buy a ticket for the next departing train when you get to the station.  Or, better yet, buy the BIRG ticket at the station.  It's a different story for IC or Frecce trains.

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

If you're taking a regional train there's no need, and no point, to booking ahead, just buy a ticket for the next departing train when you get to the station.  Or, better yet, buy the BIRG ticket at the station.  It's a different story for IC or Frecce trains.

We've booked a Frecce train as its faster and you have a guaranteed seat, it was pretty much the same cost as the local service. Having a booked seat is something I value with a little one in tow!

• Like 1

I think that the biggest ships, like Oasis, all use berth #25 at Civitavecchia, which means you either take the free port shuttle to Largo della Pace or the 6 euro Port Mobility shuttle directly to the train station.  Largo della Pace is an easy walk of about 1.4 km/nine-tenths of a mile to/from the train station.  You could also pay for a local bus but by the time you find a place to buy the bus ticket and wait for the bus, you might as well just walk.

If you want to make a google map the train station is located at Piazzale Scipione Matteuzzi, 00053 Civitavecchia RM, Italy.    The Largo della Pace shuttle bus depot is just of Via Prato del Turco, 42°05'50.3"N 11°47'19.7"E on a google map.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I think that the biggest ships, like Oasis, all use berth #25 at Civitavecchia, which means you either take the free port shuttle to Largo della Pace or the 6 euro Port Mobility shuttle directly to the train station.  Largo della Pace is an easy walk of about 1.4 km/nine-tenths of a mile to/from the train station.  You could also pay for a local bus but by the time you find a place to buy the bus ticket and wait for the bus, you might as well just walk.

If you want to make a google map the train station is located at Piazzale Scipione Matteuzzi, 00053 Civitavecchia RM, Italy.    The Largo della Pace shuttle bus depot is just of Via Prato del Turco, 42°05'50.3"N 11°47'19.7"E on a google map.

Thank you that's so helpful. I think I was getting confused with all the different accounts of where the shuttles pick up from and go.

I don't know if you have a direct experience of that route but would you say an hour is sufficient to give us time to find the train etc?

Edited by SquishTheWhale

It's so hard to guess, but I would think an hour should be enough.  The main variable is how long it takes to get on a shuttle at the ship/terminal.  If you're early you can enjoy a coffee, or just walk along the waterfront promenade near the train station.

The only time I've used #25 we arrived by private transfer so I can't give you any personal experience with the shuttle.

• Thanks 1