Edge Dining Questions

17 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

.....This is our second X cruise, the first on Solstice and we were not enamored with the buffet quality plus we not only had to deal with chair hogs at the pool, but we also had to deal with table hogs.  We actually saw people just sitting there playing solitaire, reading a book over coffee, and even a family playing games during the peak of the meal service....

Perhaps mainstream cruising is not for you! 😉

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 11:49 AM, ScottC4746 said:

So, we are both not a fan of buffets and specialty restaurants We have a problem paying for meals on a cruise) and this is our first cruise on The Edge for 7 nights to Alaska roundtrip from Seattle in May.  I have done some home work and looks like to avoid the buffet and specialty restaurants here is what I found being in Concierge Class and not doing room service:

Breakfast: 

Cosmopolitan Restaurant, Eden Cafe (Grab and go), and maybe Grand Plaza Cafe, mostly pastries

Lunch:

Cosmopolitan on sea days only, Eden Cafe (grab and go), Grand Plaza Cafe finger sandwiches, Eden, and Mast Grill for burgers.

Dinner:

Normandie, Tuscan, Cosmopolitan, and Cypress Restaurants, Mast Grill burgers.

Am I missing anything.

One reason we avoid the buffet is quality.  This is our second X cruise, the first on Solstice and we were not enamored with the buffet quality plus we not only had to deal with chair hogs at the pool, but we also had to deal with table hogs.  We actually saw people just sitting there playing solitaire, reading a book over coffee, and even a family playing games during the peak of the meal service.  We are two and one of us had to hold the table (making us just as bad) while the other got food.  By the time the other got through the line, the first was done and went for seconds so we never really got to eat together.  Someone suggested leaving a book or jacket, which in my opinion makes as just as guilty as table/chair hogs.

Any suggestions.

Grand Plaza Cafe=Cafe Al Bacio. I have never seen sandwiches here, only pastries.

Otherwise everything you list is correct--there is a pizza place at the back of the buffet from 11AM until late.

Not a huge fan of buffet except for breakfast (particularly love the omelet station).

BUT I will say that I find the quality of the buffet on Eclass to be very good.

I do recommend trying it once before passing judgement.

• 1 month later...

We are on the August 30 cruise to Alaska. The last night there is an excursion to Victoria Gardens. Arrival time back to the ship is late, meaning we couldn’t have dinner in Luminae or the MDRs. Are there any options other than room service? How late is the OVC generally open?

29 minutes ago, Syd58 said:

We are on the August 30 cruise to Alaska. The last night there is an excursion to Victoria Gardens. Arrival time back to the ship is late, meaning we couldn’t have dinner in Luminae or the MDRs. Are there any options other than room service? How late is the OVC generally open?

Pizza and pasta is available late 

On 3/10/2024 at 9:49 AM, ScottC4746 said:

So, we are both not a fan of buffets and specialty restaurants We have a problem paying for meals on a cruise) and this is our first cruise on The Edge for 7 nights to Alaska roundtrip from Seattle in May.  I have done some home work and looks like to avoid the buffet and specialty restaurants here is what I found being in Concierge Class and not doing room service:

Breakfast: 

Cosmopolitan Restaurant, Eden Cafe (Grab and go), and maybe Grand Plaza Cafe, mostly pastries

Lunch:

Cosmopolitan on sea days only, Eden Cafe (grab and go), Grand Plaza Cafe finger sandwiches, Eden, and Mast Grill for burgers.

Dinner:

Normandie, Tuscan, Cosmopolitan, and Cypress Restaurants, Mast Grill burgers.

Am I missing anything.

One reason we avoid the buffet is quality.  This is our second X cruise, the first on Solstice and we were not enamored with the buffet quality plus we not only had to deal with chair hogs at the pool, but we also had to deal with table hogs.  We actually saw people just sitting there playing solitaire, reading a book over coffee, and even a family playing games during the peak of the meal service.  We are two and one of us had to hold the table (making us just as bad) while the other got food.  By the time the other got through the line, the first was done and went for seconds so we never really got to eat together.  Someone suggested leaving a book or jacket, which in my opinion makes as just as guilty as table/chair hogs.

Any suggestions.

We have had the experience of a couple asking to join our table while we were having lunch at the spa cafe, just to unload a bag of Mexican train tiles on the centre to the table.  Very inconsiderate.  They have game rooms and other areas on the ship for these activities.  Please respect other guests who would like to enjoy a nice meal.