Rainforest? Tour or take a hike?

kajasmin

Hi. Alright, I think I've figured out everything except Ketchikan. My son is a natural resources and anthropology major. Very interested in both indgenious people as well as forests. We were thinking a rainforest hike, but I thought I read we could just do one on our own. I also see there is a Rainforest Sanctuary. What would you recommend? Any thoughts? We do a lot of hiking in Florida or when we vacation around the world. 

I think Skagway is the better port for hiking, and Ketchikan has more opportunities for totem poles and native Alaskan history.

The “Rainforest Hike” in Ketchikan that the cruiseline sells is really just a stroll through the forest with quick stops to see a totem pole and caged reindeer and raptors, so not really a hike, but it is a nice way to spend the morning. I thought it was geared more to kids and seniors.

Just FYI, for hikes in Ketchikan https://www.alltrails.com/lists/ketchikan-ak

Totem Bight State Historical Park would be a good source of cultural information.  Go online to the Ketchikan Visitor Center.  There are hikes out by Ward Cove.  You can take the public bus to totem bight and Ward Cove.  If you are on NCL your ship will dock near Ward Cove.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Totem Bight State Historical Park would be a good source of cultural information.  Go online to the Ketchikan Visitor Center.  There are hikes out by Ward Cove.  You can take the public bus to totem bight and Ward Cove.  If you are on NCL your ship will dock near Ward Cove.  

This is good advice - the rainforest hikes near Ward Cove and Ward Lake are beautiful and free and easy to do on your own. I like Totem Bight better then Saxman - it's a gorgeous area near the beach on the same road you take to get to Ward Lake. You might consider renting a car from Ketchikan Car Rentals - it's so easy to explore on your own that way and very cost effective. We have rented from them a number of times and it is great to have your own vehicle there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

This is good advice - the rainforest hikes near Ward Cove and Ward Lake are beautiful and free and easy to do on your own. I like Totem Bight better then Saxman - it's a gorgeous area near the beach on the same road you take to get to Ward Lake. You might consider renting a car from Ketchikan Car Rentals - it's so easy to explore on your own that way and very cost effective. We have rented from them a number of times and it is great to have your own vehicle there.

I like Totem Bight better also.

• Like 1

We hiked Ketchikan on our own and plan to do so again.  I saw the size of the group while we were hiking and if you like to hike, you may not like a long casual stroll with multiple stops.  Then again, you might.  

In Skagway, we rented e bikes and loved it.  We did hike after we were done with bikes for a couple of miles and enjoyed that as well.