Alaska - Anchorage vs Seward

Danor71

My wife and 3 adult kids are flying into Anchorage before heading to Seward to board a cruise to Alaska.  We land on June 20 and ship leaves on June 21 8pm.  I am debating whether I should stay in Anchorage overnight and spend the next day visiting anchorage before grabbing a shuttle to Seward or immediately head to Seward after landing, sleep and spend the next day visiting Seward before boarding.

It’s out 1st time in Alaska.  I have not booked hotels yet and am discovering that I am very late in the process!

Thanks

Are all of you on the same flights?  Depending on what time your party arrives in Anchorage (and assuming the flights are on time) you may not find a shuttle willing to make the drive.  The drive to Seward from Anchorage is about 2.5 hours while the train takes about 4 hours.  

Look into the Kenai Fjords and the tours available.  Out of Seward.

My wife and I are flying in 2 days early to go to Seward to do this tour before we return to Anchorage to take a ride to Whittier for our cruise.   I have read some great things about Kenai Fjords.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SirTomster said:

Look into the Kenai Fjords and the tours available.  Out of Seward.

My wife and I are flying in 2 days early to go to Seward to do this tour before we return to Anchorage to take a ride to Whittier for our cruise.   I have read some great things about Kenai Fjords.

Yes - they are great. Al of the boat rides out of Seward are amazing.

Also - with kids, the Iditaride is great. https://ididaride.com

Thanks for the replies.  We arrive in Anchorage at 4pm all on the same flight.  I have reserved transport to Seward - 3hour trip either day of arrival or next day depending on what we decide.

I am wondering if your flights are on time (and these days that is a big "if") and your party all arrive at 4 PM will you be ready for the transfer to Seward.  Or will you be too tired to enjoy it?  While I prefer Seward over Anchorage in this case you may want to consider booking a hotel near the airport, go to bed early, and take an early transfer to Seward.

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

I am wondering if your flights are on time (and these days that is a big "if") and your party all arrive at 4 PM will you be ready for the transfer to Seward.  Or will you be too tired to enjoy it?  While I prefer Seward over Anchorage in this case you may want to consider booking a hotel near the airport, go to bed early, and take an early transfer to Seward.

My exact thought when I asked the questions. Plus, they have to claim their luggage...

You could spend the night in Anchorage and take the train or bus the next morning to Seward.  You would still have a lot of time to explore Seward before you board the ship.  The 6 hour Kenai Fjords trips are great, maybe Exit Glacier, maybe Sealife Center.  Lots of options.

In 2013, we got into Anchorage late afternoon. Next day we took train to Whittier and did the 26 Glacier tour, then back to Anchorage. Last day we took train to Seward (some of the most beautiful scenery we’ve ever seen-highly recommend!), then did a six hour Kenai Fjords tour, then got on the ship right in Seward.  Ship didn’t leave until 8 pm, so plenty of time!

Anchorage is, as I'm sure you know, a city. It has lots more restaurants and a great museum. Seward is more for the outdoor experience.  The train from Anchorage to Seward leaves really early in the morning. (if I recall correctly, about 6:30 a.m). The Kenai Fjords are indeed lovely, but if the weather is bad, boat excursions there cancel. When we went in September, it was raining hard with wind and choppy waters so the captain turned the boat around and took us back to the dock half-way through the outing. (We were refunded half of the fare and saw a big pod of Orcas, so it was still a worthwhile experience).  If I were you, I would check out the weather forecast before spending an entire day in Seward....we were told it rains there a lot!