WiFi on the Signature and Vista Class ships.

I know that HAL has converted all of their ships to StarLink but I was wondering if the ships have also been upgraded to have routers throughout the ship and in your cabin.  Can I expect good internet performance sitting in my cabin or on my balcony.  I have been on other cruise lines that did not do a good job of providing internet coverage throughout the ship.  There was one ship that I had to have the IT team install a router in my cabin for decent performance.

I am considering some longer cruises on the Eurodam and the Noordam and poor internet performance in the cabin could be a deal breaker.

3 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I know that HAL has converted all of their ships to StarLink but I was wondering if the ships have also been upgraded to have routers throughout the ship and in your cabin.  Can I expect good internet performance sitting in my cabin or on my balcony.  I have been on other cruise lines that did not do a good job of providing internet coverage throughout the ship.  There was one ship that I had to have the IT team install a router in my cabin for decent performance.

I am considering some longer cruises on the Eurodam and the Noordam and poor internet performance in the cabin could be a deal breaker.

As a long time frequent cruiser (over 50 years) I would offer these words of advice.  If decent Internet is a strict requirement for your travel, do not get on any cruise ship!  Even the best Internet (which we have found with the newer Starlink systems) are prone to onboard failure, reception problems, outages, etc.  We were recently (December) on a large ship that had Starlink, and yet we had nearly two days of outages (due to onboard failures).  

I think many cruisers (including moi) look forward to the day when onboard Internet is as reliable and fast as we expect on land.  We are slowly (too slowly) getting to that point, but not there yet.

Hank

• Like 1

On our two cruises last year on the Oosterdam and Noordam, internet performance was adequate.  I use the internet primarily for e-mail  and documents.  I had to do several video conferences and scheduled them for port days to insure strong land based internet.   On the transatlantic in November on the Oosterdam, there seemed to be poor internet in the middle of the Atlantic.  

I understand that there always can be issues, but I have sailed several times on the Rotterdam and the Celebrity Edge, both with Star Link.  There were issues on both cruises due to legal agreements with StarLink and sometimes when the signal was blocked.

But when everything is working as designed should I expect the same level of internet performance on the Vista and Signature class ships that I have experienced on the Rotterdam.  I’m not looking to run a business or attend meetings, I’m just looking for entertainment.

It will really depend on how close your room and balcony is to the nearest repeater.  I have had a couple of rooms which have had a repeater on the ceiling and the speed has been great, but if I am depending on a router that is situated in the corridor or a room that is two or three away, then reception drops.

Needless to say, if you are in a poor reception area for Starlink then it really doesn't matter which ship you are on, but all other things being equal, reception levels should be similar.

• Like 1

Internet was good every time I used it on the Oosterdam in November, even in the middle of the Atlantic -- and I needed it for classes on Zoom.

My cabin was midship. I've found wifi to be very poor in cabins on other ships that were all the way forward or all the way aft.

• Like 1