How are the Swans doing 2024?

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Swans will be Minor Premiers with a game to spare.

Whew, for a minute there I thought the Swans were going to drop another game.

Just when I thought I understood all the lingo, you threw a new term in there. What is a Minor Premier?? Is it good? Are there also Major Premiers?

Go Swans!

• Like 1

Minor Premier is the team who finishes first in the regular season. (i.e before finals).

Premiers are the the team that wins the competition via the Grand final.

A US example would be conference winners prior to finals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Minor Premier is the team who finishes first in the regular season. (i.e before finals).

Ohhhh, now I get it. Thanks for that. I have now added to my knowledge of football down under. Maybe it will come up in trivia someday 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Do they get any sort of prize for that, apart from relying on comparable success from their AFLW side to win the Mcclelland trophy & prizemoney?

It  has long been an important honour, but also the easily forgotten one compared to the grand final winner. If there is no standalone prize for the AFL minor premier, there is no real difference to finishing 2nd apart from bragging rights.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Just bragging rights unless the both the Men's and Women's team do well. Then it is $1million.

That recent slump won't cost them the minor premiership, but maybe a cool million. Those extra points might have come in handy. Go the Swanettes!

• Like 2

On 8/17/2024 at 1:41 PM, arxcards said:

That recent slump won't cost them the minor premiership, but maybe a cool million. Those extra points might have come in handy. Go the Swanettes!

Yes, hopefully they can do well as well.

• Like 1

Only 9 teams can make the 8, and the minor premier is decided, so it looks pretty settled. Then I look at Geelong, who can have a big win and a bit of luck with other results and finish 2nd and a home semi. A loss could also see them finishing 8th.

A few games that matter this weekend, but hopefully Fremantle still has something to play for and the home and away season goes down to the final minutes.

• Like 2

As I read Leigh's messages, the suspense built up for me! So glad the Swans won. Is this considered a 'big win'? Seems like a 30 point difference might not be quite enough??

Go Swans!

The Swans now have 1st place secured with the win, 30 points is a big win in a final but as they had the game won by the 3rd quarter 49 point lead, they were resting and protecting some players for the final.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

The Swans now have 1st place secured with the win, 30 points is a big win in a final but as they had the game won by the 3rd quarter 49 point lead, they were resting and protecting some players for the final.

Thanks for this explanation Mic, very helpful. I hope they keep up the scoring and everyone gets healthy for the run thru the Finals.

Go Swans!

• Like 1