Sun Princess - Spellbound question

I have a question about the new "Spellbound" dining/attraction dinner show. When I first read about this attraction I was very, VERY interested. I had never heard about The Magic Castle. When I googled the Hollywood, California location I found out that you purchase the drinks and dinner a la carte. This implies that you can, of course spend more or less depending on your drinks and entrees. 

My question is this. There are non-alcohol "mocktails" available at the California location which are naturally less expensive then the drinks with alcohol. I'm wondering if there would be a non-alcohol version of this on Sun Princess. I'm not trying to save money (although that's always nice) but I don't drink and would REALLY like to see this dinner/show!! I LOVE magic and this attraction really has me excited! Would the magicians still be able to create all of the smokey illusions with non-alcoholic drinks? Just wondering.

17 minutes ago, Strauss1020 said:

I have a question about the new "Spellbound" dining/attraction dinner show. When I first read about this attraction I was very, VERY interested. I had never heard about The Magic Castle. When I googled the Hollywood, California location I found out that you purchase the drinks and dinner a la carte. This implies that you can, of course spend more or less depending on your drinks and entrees. 

My question is this. There are non-alcohol "mocktails" available at the California location which are naturally less expensive then the drinks with alcohol. I'm wondering if there would be a non-alcohol version of this on Sun Princess. I'm not trying to save money (although that's always nice) but I don't drink and would REALLY like to see this dinner/show!! I LOVE magic and this attraction really has me excited! Would the magicians still be able to create all of the smokey illusions with non-alcoholic drinks? Just wondering.

Spellbound is $149.  There's no Spellbound "lite".

The Magic Castle in LA is not open to the general public. You need an invite. It's a club like atmosphere with a strict dress code. The ship experience will be different.  

26 minutes ago, Strauss1020 said:

To fill in some details. I'm a magician and a member of the Magic Castle in Hollywood. The Castle is a private club that requires an invitation from a member for entry. You are correct, guests who are not accompanied by a member must have a dinner reservation and purchase at least one entree. 
From what I've read, the drinks on board the Sun Princess bear no relation to the drinks at the Magic Castle (the bars and dining room do have a small mocktail menu). I've been to the 360 restaurant and the Chef's Table on the Discovery Princess and in each case, you can get mocktails instead of alcohol. However, the price for those experiences is not lowered due to the lack of alcoholic drinks. I imagine it will be the same for Spellbound.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Diehard Cruiser said:

Watch this video it might answer some of your questions

Thanks. I saw this video this morning and was extremely excited to visit this attraction. However, Mr. Terris told about his experience with great enthusiasm but did not mention about a non-alcohol option. I may not have posted had I not seen the video, I might have been able to quell my curiosity a bit longer. 😀 

12 minutes ago, Wonders By Wallis said:

To fill in some details. I'm a magician and a member of the Magic Castle in Hollywood. The Castle is a private club that requires an invitation from a member for entry. You are correct, guests who are not accompanied by a member must have a dinner reservation and purchase at least one entree. 
From what I've read, the drinks on board the Sun Princess bear no relation to the drinks at the Magic Castle (the bars and dining room do have a small mocktail menu). I've been to the 360 restaurant and the Chef's Table on the Discovery Princess and in each case, you can get mocktails instead of alcohol. However, the price for those experiences is not lowered due to the lack of alcoholic drinks. I imagine it will be the same for Spellbound.

Thanks. I'm really not looking for a lower price. I'm just hoping that a non-alcohol option will be available as it is on the Discovery Princess. It would be a shame to have a magic cocktail made and after all of the showmanship of the bartender/magician, have to simply push the drink away with a "no thank you".

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Strauss1020 said:

Thanks. I'm really not looking for a lower price. I'm just hoping that a non-alcohol option will be available as it is on the Discovery Princess. It would be a shame to have a magic cocktail made and after all of the showmanship of the bartender/magician, have to simply push the drink away with a "no thank you".

I do not drink and have always had non-alcoholic versions of drinks available at all venues on Princess. I wouldn't worry about this.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Wonders By Wallis said:

That's what I read as well. I saw that the "Magic Castle" was a club with some pricey membership dues. Just hoping that there's a nonalcoholic version of this. I know that there are 0 proof versions of chef tables on other Princess Cruise venues.

Posted (edited)

They were having another Spellbound test event tonight and it looks like there are menus of some kind on the tables - we don't even know what the alcoholic versions are yet so hopefully we will get more news as more experience it. (Credit: shipmonk)

image.thumb.png.6749d8009048451c98c99d372e5924df.png

image.thumb.png.1b99a338d112d7d4730fcb66a022afff.png

Edited by dides
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, dides said:

They were having another Spellbound test event tonight and it looks like there are menus of some kind on the tables - we don't even know what the alcoholic versions are yet so hopefully we will get more news as more experience it. (Credit: shipmonk)

Thanks!! Please keep us (me) posted! 

• Like 1

@Strauss1020 According to this article, Spellbound is open to guests 13 and above so you will be able to get non-alcoholic drinks. I’d also venture to guess they will have some “magical” effect non-alcoholic drinks for kids and those who don’t want to drink alcohol. I would expect you will still pay $149 for the experience with alcohol or without based on what others have said about the 360 experience which is the same price. 

www.cruisecritic.com/articles/magic-castle-spellbound-sun-princess

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KLM3164 said:

@Strauss1020 According to this article, Spellbound is open to guests 13 and above so you will be able to get non-alcoholic drinks. I’d also venture to guess they will have some “magical” effect non-alcoholic drinks for kids and those who don’t want to drink alcohol. I would expect you will still pay $149 for the experience with alcohol or without based on what others have said about the 360 experience which is the same price. 

20 minutes ago, KLM3164 said:

A very interesting article that answered my question (at least for now). The multi- generational stuff was great. It did mention that they were/are still reassessing the experience so for now, it looks like it's designed for guests 13 and older. Hopefully, it'll stay that way at least in offering a non-alcohol experience!

2 hours ago, dides said:

Thanks!! Please keep us (me) posted! 

3 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Since this a new venue, no one will be able to answer your question. But I’m hoping it’s ready by my April 8 cruise and I will ask. As a drinker who tries to not drink I will find this out. I’ll get back to you. 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, dides said:

Here is the alcoholic Spellbound drinks menu. (Credit: EatSleepCruise)

spellbound-drinks.thumb.jpg.bfe48dbce0d94c574bf225de697daac4.jpg

These custom cocktails are all well and good if they have the ingredients to make them. They probably will for the first few months before the cocktails become a shadow of what they were. This has been my experience based on Good Spirits when it was first introduced on Sky Princess.

Spellbound is now open for reservations! The times available in the app under dining are 5, 6:30 and 8. It appears reservations are open at least through the end of the year as I was able to book a reservation for a cruise in November. I’m so looking forward to this magical experience!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm on the May 18th cruise & am still not able to book a reservation; like Sox Fan Cruiser my app says "coming soon" and "no time slots available" when I try to book.  I see here and on other forums that people are able to book.  Is there a trick to this?!?  Or are the passengers who are able to book "elite" status or "suite" passengers?  Any answers would be appreciated -- I've been anxious to book this experience since we found out about it months ago!!!

• Like 1

Slots for our future booking in September were available last night but are now longer showing. Have they been trigger happy again? This has echos of their releasing Love by Britto bookings and then cancelling them all! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WanderingSenior said:

I'm on the May 18th cruise & am still not able to book a reservation; like Sox Fan Cruiser my app says "coming soon" and "no time slots available" when I try to book.  I see here and on other forums that people are able to book.  Is there a trick to this?!?  Or are the passengers who are able to book "elite" status or "suite" passengers?  Any answers would be appreciated -- I've been anxious to book this experience since we found out about it months ago!!!

I’m both Elite and Suite and nothing. Just be patient, it will show up soon.  I’m in IT and I would never work for Princess. They are not the best at anything technical. 🤪

I was able to book Spellbound on the app yesterday for our upcoming April 27th cruise. The app did take a very long time to load (longer than the usual long time) 🙂

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, labcoat99 said:

I was able to book Spellbound on the app yesterday for our upcoming April 27th cruise. The app did take a very long time to load (longer than the usual long time) 🙂

What time did you book?

I’m a little (some would say a lot!) neurotic so I’m checking every hour or so!  🤪

Edited by Sox Fan Cruiser
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dides said:

Slots for our future booking in September were available last night but are now longer showing. Have they been trigger happy again? This has echos of their releasing Love by Britto bookings and then cancelling them all! 

I really hope that doesn’t happen, but I am nervous about it…even though our reservation still shows up in the app. In the case of Love by Britto, they would have had to cancel reservations because the venue still isn’t ready.  But Spellbound is already operational, so the same rationale would not apply.  If they cancel reservations now, that will be totally ridiculous and unfair.  Of course when it comes to Sun Princess, as you know even better than most, “totally ridiculous and unfair” has been par for the course lately.