Planetariums on Viking Ships

millybess

20 minutes ago, allyg said:

We are on Orion in Alaska 2025. Does Orion have the planetarium rather than the upper area of the Explorers’ Lounge? If so, that is disappointing as the upper level of the lounge is one of our favorite spots. Does Orion have the Asian section in the rear of the WC? We are also doing the Denali extension. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Yes to the planetarium, although it was closed April/May while we were onboard. Yes to the Asian station - our first encounter with it and it was excellent in our view. Always good soups and noodles, along with many other Asian preparations. 🍺🥌

36 minutes ago, allyg said:

We are on Orion in Alaska 2025. Does Orion have the planetarium rather than the upper area of the Explorers’ Lounge? If so, that is disappointing as the upper level of the lounge is one of our favorite spots. Does Orion have the Asian section in the rear of the WC? We are also doing the Denali extension. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Jupiter and Orion are the only two ships with a planetarium. They both appear to be no longer in use.

If you read this thread you’ll find my thoughts on how they never correctly used this expensive asset. They tried to use it as an automated mini I-Max theater instead of using it as an actual planetarium. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

About half of the upper area of the Explorers Lounge is taken up with the planetarium. Be sure to bring a jacket because the Explorers Lounge is always really cold because of the Planetarium.

Edited by Insanityx4

7 hours ago, allyg said:

Does Orion have the planetarium rather than the upper area of the Explorers’ Lounge

I believe Jupiter and Orion both have the planetarium. I share your disappointment. Viking no longer included this feature in subsequent builds.

We were on the Orion during the difficult voyage (late 2022) from New Zealand to Australia where bio-foul prevented us from being allowed to stop at destinations.  Hence, there was a more than 8-day period of being stuck on the ship (unplanned).  The Planetarium was one of the distractions that made it all work.  

There was also a very good resident astronomer, who gave evening shows on the top deck during three nights (we could see the Southern Cross), and the captain even helped by turning all deck lights off during those shows.  We used the Planetarium four times, with two shows being narrated by the astronomer, and two having their own recorded audio track (one was about whales).

Guests were ignoring the Planetarium during the first 3 days (when the ship was allowed to dock), but by the end of the at-sea phase, the shows were fully booked and the Guest Services even posted a "guard" at the entrance to check that guests in line actually had reservations!

• Like 2

On 6/26/2024 at 3:08 AM, Jeff 1957 said:

We were on the Orion during the difficult voyage (late 2022) from New Zealand to Australia where bio-foul prevented us from being allowed to stop at destinations.  Hence, there was a more than 8-day period of being stuck on the ship (unplanned).  The Planetarium was one of the distractions that made it all work.

Guests were ignoring the Planetarium during the first 3 days (when the ship was allowed to dock), but by the end of the at-sea phase, the shows were fully booked and the Guest Services even posted a "guard" at the entrance to check that guests in line actually had reservations!

I hope we have a good astronomer on board the Viking when we sail over New Year's. The South American cruise already has an abundance of sea days. Because we will miss our first port on New Year's Day, I'm assuming many excursions were unavailable because of the holiday, etc., we will have even more! 

I've sailed on Jupiter from Norway to Iceland before and was unimpressed with the Planetarium. Of course, I was tired from busy days... I dozed off in the presentation. The seats in there are very comfortable! And it is dark and warm... and we were crossing the north sea and the ship was gently rocking... 

But I am willing to give it another shot. Now I know how to get tickets. 🙂 Still... I do miss the extra seating. I love to tuck away up there sprawled out on a sofa with a book on a sea day. 

• Like 1