Asian Food Station near Aquavit Bar

CCWineLover

We were beginning to sidetrack the Planetarium discussion, so I thought I'd start a new thread for people to share information and photos of the Asian Food Stations.   It is around the corner from the Gelato Station in the back of the World Cafe.  It is there on the 6 later ships - Orion, Jupiter, Venus, Mars, Neptune, Saturn.   I've heard reports that on the earlier ships Star, Sea, Sky - they serve some Asian food at the Pool Grill.  There are plans being discussed to add the Asian stations to those 3 as well when they go to dry dock.

So many people miss it, since it is just a window at the back, where you can order up various dishes.

It used to be other items than Asian, but now all Asian all the time - supposedly due to the feedback from passengers - and it is quite quite popular.  

We always check it out whenever we go to World Cafe - just to see what is being offered that breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  They do not publish what is offered ahead of time.  There is information on placards above the glass countertop that tells you what the items are.

• Like 6

Just now, CCWineLover said:

Here are some photos I took of some of the dishes and the arrangement.

IMG_4675AsianStation.thumb.jpg.33364766c6196207b138bf9a0c605024.jpg

IMG_4674AsianStation.thumb.jpg.ef58d61f8f1ea5e3b95e5187f4f1ba9a.jpg

So it is an open space like other stations in the WC?  I really don't know how I missed it.  Thanks for starting this thread (although I'm always happy to go off-topic 😉)

• Like 1

Just now, millybess said:

So it is an open space like other stations in the WC?  I really don't know how I missed it.  Thanks for starting this thread (although I'm always happy to go off-topic 😉)

Yes!  In fact, in the first picture, you can see the Viking server in the left background, who is serving up gelato at the time I took the picture.

10 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes!  In fact, in the first picture, you can see the Viking server in the left background, who is serving up gelato at the time I took the picture.

Yes, I usually hang out there, which is why I don't know how I missed it!🍨

Recently on Venus (after 3 Star voyages, no Asian corner)…. My husband got breakfast there many times, as well as lunch and/or dinner.

they will also make, with some advance notice, rice noodles fir the Dan Dan.   I cannot eat wheat pasta, so this was awesome!   I, too, visited several times!

the other lunch and dinner offerings varied, but were always yummy!

it was a real “addition “😄

• Like 2

Just now, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

Recently on Venus (after 3 Star voyages, no Asian corner)…. My husband got breakfast there many times, as well as lunch and/or dinner.

they will also make, with some advance notice, rice noodles fir the Dan Dan.   I cannot eat wheat pasta, so this was awesome!   I, too, visited several times!

Yes - we get breakfast there quite often!!

And on a given cruise, you run into a lot of the same people at the station, those of us who have similar tastes!  Quite fun. 

Didn't know that about the Dan Dan - may have to try that.

8 hours ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

If you are celiac, keep in mind that the noodles are dunked in a pot of boiling water prior to final preparation.  Don't assume that they use different pots for the different types of noodles.   Ask.

15 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Here are some photos I took of some of the dishes and the arrangement.

IMG_4675AsianStation.thumb.jpg.33364766c6196207b138bf9a0c605024.jpg

IMG_4674AsianStation.thumb.jpg.ef58d61f8f1ea5e3b95e5187f4f1ba9a.jpg

Yes they show sample dishes of what is available and then make your bowl when you order it.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

If you are celiac, keep in mind that the noodles are dunked in a pot of boiling water prior to final preparation.  Don't assume that they use different pots for the different types of noodles.   Ask.

Same advice for anything on Viking food-wise.

If you have food conditions please check out with Viking ahead of time.  Ask!

• Like 1

I also don't eat gluten if I can help it (just sensitive not Celiac's). Wondering what you mean by advance notice on the noodles AroundWithMAP Travels? Do you have to call ahead of time (or notify them at lunch what you will need for dinner) or do you just have be prepared to wait a few minutes for the order at your table?

Best to inform Viking at least 30 days before you board, so they can be properly stocked to meet your needs.

Gluten-free can be handled on MVJ. Go to Onboard Experience/Preferences and choose Dietary. The stuff I can't eat is not listed on the form. I tell them when I board; I go to the maitre'd and ask them to add it to my profile.

https://www.viking.com/myjourney/onboard-experience/preferences/allergies

Those with food allergies get special handling at dinner.  Breakfast and lunch we have to handle on our own -- I get one of the crew to walk me down the buffet line at lunch to point out the dishes I need to avoid. Some dishes on the buffet are labeled.  For dinner in The Restaurant and Manfredi's, we get to choose our meals in advance. The next evening's menu will be in your hands by bedtime. Sometimes they will hand it to you at dinner and sometimes they will leave it at your cabin (different ships have different ways of handling it). Your choices must be turned in by 10 am; follow instructions on the menu. Chef's Table checks the profiles of all diners and plans accordingly.

Yes, DH and I made liberal use of the Asian station…..both on the Neptune and the Venus.  Morning, there is usually some sort of dim sum.  Evenings, usually a stir fry and noodle soup.  

8 hours ago, wine-wine-wine said:

Interestingly I am far more gluten tolerant when eating bread and pasta in Europe. World of difference. Of course YMMV. 

This is because in Europe the flour has less gluten.  North American flour has higher levels of protein or gluten in it.  This is down to the type of wheat we grow in North America.

Often you try a baked good made in Europe and bring home the recipe and it does not have the same result after baking, and that is because of the flour difference.

If you want to reduce the gluten then buy "00" or double zero flour which is available in specialty stores if not in your local supermarket.

• Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Best to inform Viking at least 30 days before you board, so they can be properly stocked to meet your needs.

Gluten-free can be handled on MVJ. Go to Onboard Experience/Preferences and choose Dietary. The stuff I can't eat is not listed on the form. I tell them when I board; I go to the maitre'd and ask them to add it to my profile.

https://www.viking.com/myjourney/onboard-experience/preferences/allergies

Those with food allergies get special handling at dinner.  Breakfast and lunch we have to handle on our own -- I get one of the crew to walk me down the buffet line at lunch to point out the dishes I need to avoid. Some dishes on the buffet are labeled.  For dinner in The Restaurant and Manfredi's, we get to choose our meals in advance. The next evening's menu will be in your hands by bedtime. Sometimes they will hand it to you at dinner and sometimes they will leave it at your cabin (different ships have different ways of handling it). Your choices must be turned in by 10 am; follow instructions on the menu. Chef's Table checks the profiles of all diners and plans accordingly.

We have also found that on Viking Ocean, there is a "dietary manager" that is associated with the restaurants.  Ask to speak to him/her/them and you will be set.

We were walking through the World Cafe on embarkation day mid afternoon when the buffet was not open yet for dinner and a crew member approached us and greeted us by name.  This was first hour on the ship.  This was the dietary manager and we had some dietary needs and he already knew us from our passport pictures and his "list" of dietary needs passengers.

We were quite amazed at this, and he was our best friend for the rest of the cruise.

Everything that @Peregrina651 has told you above is what we have found.  Viking River is a bit different, but also manageable.

...and just a note...  I was instructed by the agents at tellus@vikingcruises.com that if I wanted any special ingredients or products on board that I should give at least 60 days notice.  Also to understand that some products may not be available in the country or region where they are restocking.  Viking cannot guarantee any product request.

• Like 1

On Jupiter last year they had two binders of recipes on the shelf behind this station, and the staff would make just about anything they could find the ingredients for. My wife found it was a useful option for made to order vegetarian dishes if nothing on the World Cafe appealed, as they could just about always make a vegetable stir fry with garlic & ginger.

• Like 1

CCWineLover, did I miss seeing this station on our December trans-Atlantic on the Neptune, or was it closed?  If so, is it only open for certain cruises?  Thanks!

19 hours ago, miami mama said:

I also don't eat gluten if I can help it (just sensitive not Celiac's). Wondering what you mean by advance notice on the noodles AroundWithMAP Travels? Do you have to call ahead of time (or notify them at lunch what you will need for dinner) or do you just have be prepared to wait a few minutes for the order at your table?

If you just go to counter and ask, they can have some ready in about 10 minutes.  Or, if you know that you are going to want some at lunch or dinner just let them know at prior meal and they will make them ahead , saving that 10 minute wait. (In my experience on Venus, two times they had some ready-had mentioned at prior meal;  one time had the 10 minute wait-I chose other items instead that day)

i too am not celiac, but am wheat intolerant , so I have not had issues with the noodles here (would love to see this added to original ships….3 times on Star, no noodles 🥲)

same story with gluten free pizza ask and it may appear. (although this does take more advanced notice, definitely needs to be made ahead; they keep dough frozen once made).  
And as mentioned, if celiac-ask, ask,ask!

Wine-wine-wine I also am able to tolerate the breads etc better in Europe. The last time I traveled my doctor pointed that out. Will certainly look for 00 Flour CDN as sometimes the almond flour just doesn't do the job. Thanks to everyone for this topic. It has been very helpful.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

i too am not celiac, but am wheat intolerant , so I have not had issues with the noodles here (would love to see this added to original ships….3 times on Star, no noodles 🥲)

same story with gluten free pizza ask and it may appear. (although this does take more advanced notice, definitely needs to be made ahead; they keep dough frozen once made).  

On the Expedition ships they have a station that always has gluten free pasta and pizza. All fresh made daily.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne