Queen Anne—formal wear / kilt

renji

Hello, we’ve been on all the other ships and several men wore kilts (with Prince Charlie jacket and bowtie) as formal wear. (And jackets on smart attire night even though they aren’t required). I’ve heard that Queen Anne is intended to be less formal—we’re on the May 10 voyage so curious if there’s a different expectation.  (He’s going to St Andrews for several days before so will have his kilt anyway, it’s quite heavy so would hate to also have to take a tux).

7 minutes ago, renji said:

Hello, we’ve been on all the other ships and several men wore kilts (with Prince Charlie jacket and bowtie) as formal wear. (And jackets on smart attire night even though they aren’t required). I’ve heard that Queen Anne is intended to be less formal—we’re on the May 10 voyage so curious if there’s a different expectation.  (He’s going to St Andrews for several days before so will have his kilt anyway, it’s quite heavy so would hate to also have to take a tux).

I am on the cruise too, but how could one possibly know? There is no evidence there will be less formality, unless you count there only being three formal nights in a fortnight, but I think that is now standard. As far as I know, they have not yet even said which areas of the ship the formal dress code will apply to. Will some of the new restaurants be exempt? Who knows?

• Like 1

We are also on the same voyage. We plan to dress up whenever we can. It’s the guests who will decide if the overall ambience is the same as other Cunard ships, or whether it will be more casual. Hoping for lots of dressing smart but we shall have to see. 

• Like 4

we're on QA in June and have 2 formal nights. We will definitely be dressing up, black tie, posh frocks. I love seeing the kilts worn, I'm sure you're OH won't be out of place. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, renji said:

I’ve heard that Queen Anne is intended to be less formal

While the marketing for QA seems to be going after a younger demographic (a good thing) I don’t see much overt communication from Cunard that this ship is going less formal. Many people in that younger demographic tell me they like the idea of getting dressed up for a cruise as there are few places to do so these days. 
Cunard, in general, has been going less formal since they eliminated semi-formal/formal nights and the clear cut definitions of those dress codes. 

• Like 2

Kilts are perfectly acceptable on any occasion.

Most of us would not be happy with a drop in dress standards. I have seen nothing to suggest that will be the case.

There are plenty other Lines catering for those who like to dress as if they've just finished an afternoon in the vegetable plot.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Kilts are perfectly acceptable on any occasion.

Most of us would not be happy with a drop in dress standards. I have seen nothing to suggest that will be the case.

There are plenty other Lines catering for those who like to dress as if they've just finished an afternoon in the vegetable plot.

Thanks everyone.  We will go with the kilt especially since he’ll have it.  Will also have two jackets for smart attire but I suppose  if jackets are scarce he might lose his some nights….

2 minutes ago, renji said:

Thanks everyone.  We will go with the kilt especially since he’ll have it.  Will also have two jackets for smart attire but I suppose  if jackets are scarce he might lose his some nights….

I suppose it partly depends on the quality of the air conditioning.

18 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I suppose it partly depends on the quality of the air conditioning.

Exactly! The kilt is heavy but comes with its own air conditioning 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I love seeing kilts, national dress (no matter from where!) and other garb that folks put together for formal nights. One of the most memorable were some Japanese folks who did the full on kimonos and men with those fabulous wide pants, sashes, etc. Another along the same line, but totally different was a gentleman for the west who wore a black suit, fabulous "formal" boots, a bolo tie with a chunk of turquoise that would choke his horse and a stunning black stetson. He looked terrific!

So, please bring and wear your kilt!

• Like 3