Internet

My grandson is going to need to be able to take a college final while we are on a sea day on the Jewel of the Seas.  It will be a monitored test from Germany (if that matters) Anyone have any ideas on how best to do this?  A 12 day package is $371.  But in addition to taking this test at 7:00 pm specifically, he will need to study the material before hand.  

Any suggestions on how to do this, and a $ savings if possible over 12 days.  They told me I could do day to day for $25 but can't book it beforehand only at the internet cafe once we are on board.

32 minutes ago, ckorni1 said:

They told me I could do day to day for $25 but can't book it beforehand only at the internet cafe once we are on board.

The 24 hour package (which starts at the time you purchase it) is available on any device when connected to the on board wifi - it's usually $28,

54 minutes ago, ckorni1 said:

My grandson is going to need to be able to take a college final while we are on a sea day on the Jewel of the Seas.  It will be a monitored test from Germany (if that matters) Anyone have any ideas on how best to do this?  A 12 day package is $371.  But in addition to taking this test at 7:00 pm specifically, he will need to study the material before hand.  

Any suggestions on how to do this, and a $ savings if possible over 12 days.  They told me I could do day to day for $25 but can't book it beforehand only at the internet cafe once we are on board.

I'll be honest, based on my experiance having internet on every cruise I take.  If it is really that important and being a monitored test at a specific time, understand that in addition to position of the ship weather both affect how good of internet access you'll actually have.  Test that important? maybe the cruise is not where you Grandson should be. JMHO

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

I'll be honest, based on my experiance having internet on every cruise I take.  If it is really that important and being a monitored test at a specific time, understand that in addition to position of the ship weather both affect how good of internet access you'll actually have.  Test that important? maybe the cruise is not where you Grandson should be. JMHO

Agreed. Starlink has made Voom much faster and more reliable but on the older ships like Jewel service can still be patchy, particularly in cabins which aren’t close to a router in the corridor.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You can book as many days as your need.   Generally, I find the service in the cabins to be the weakest with better service in public areas. 

If the test is when the ship is docked, you may be better off going off of airplane mode and using a day of international service.   My phone service gives me free service in Mexico/Canada and I can get 24 hours of international service for $10/day   

Good luck.  I hope the technology works for your grandson.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

1 hour ago, gumshoe958 said:

Agreed. Starlink has made Voom much faster and more reliable but on the older ships like Jewel service can still be patchy, particularly in cabins which aren’t close to a router in the corridor.

On Adventure now, half my cabin gets no signal at all. But signal is strong in all common areas

Just a warning…on.our last cruise on the Jewel the internet was not good and constantly going in and out all day, every day.  It’s an older ship and it’s system isn’t anywhere near the newer ships….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gumshoe958 said:

Absolutely true. Had no cabin access at all on the Jewel last year.

31 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

It’s an older ship and it’s system isn’t anywhere near the newer ships….

Her on board networking should be upgraded by now to provide a more reliable service. The Starlink internet connection to the ship is the same fleet wide.

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Her on board networking should be upgraded by now to provide a more reliable service. The Starlink internet connection to the ship is the same fleet wide.

All I can relate is our personal experience on the Jewel vs our cruises on the Wonder, Mariner and the Adventure.

The WiFi on the Jewel was absolutely nowhere near the level we had on the other ships….not sure why….

On our transatlantic crossing last April on the jewel the internet did work but not too well in our cabin midship deck 3. In public areas it was much better. If we were near the door it sometimes worked. 

go to a public area like the library, schooner bar and I suspect a day pass will work for you. 

bill 

Ok thanks everyone. He has two tests so he can do 1 in London before we board. Then we’ll just go down to the Internet cafe, maybe if he takes it there there will be someone who can help us with the connection. If it doesn’t work it doesn’t work I guess.