Price drop

I booked Iona to the fjords on 18th May 2 weeks ago. . Rang P&O asked if they’d give a discount for 3 cabins ,the answer was a firm no. I booked a single balcony which is now over £200 cheaper and the other 2 inside cabins I could have saved another couple of hundred pounds had I booked today. Feeling a bit peeved . When is the best time to book folks ? 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Shingles Mark said:

When is the best time to book folks ? 

If I knew the answer to that then I would be a millionaire by now!😉

There is no "best time" and what you describe could just as easily have gone the opposite way - it's called fluid pricing.

Once booked you are better off not looking at the price again.

Edited by david63
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

That is what is known as Sods law unfortunately.

We are looking for a late deal in June but the price is still quite high so leaving it for now.

We have a target price and will only book when it hits that target which it may or may not. Risky I know but not been able to book in advance due to health reasons unfortunately.

If we do book I won't look again but would know anyway that we would be happy with price paid. 

I think the best way to know the best time to book is to constantly keep monitoring the prices so you know a good deal when you see one. 

Hopefully you have a great cruise and get your moneys worth anyway. Someone once said to me the more you eat the cheaper your cruise was!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Shingles Mark said:

When is the best time to book folks ? 

In my humble opinion ,same as others have said ,track the price and keep your 

eye on availability . 

I note your booking direct with P&O and if you check out other TA's and you 

find a deal that's better but still want to stick with them ,then they do a price match

so check out other TA's as well.

So to answer your question ..The best time to book is when YOU are happy with the price.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, kalos said:

So to answer your question ..The best time to book is when YOU are happy with the price.

Absolutely Kalos. You win some you lose some.

We will look at a cruise and weigh up how it fits with schedules and needs. If it is a bucket list cruise that we really want to do we book at release for additional benefits and to ensure our place, this has worked well for us to date. 

If it is a nice to do but no big deal we will watch and wait and pay what we expect to be the best price, if we miss it, no big deal maybe next time. Sometimes we will get an email with a cruise that just takes our fancy at the time. Great when you are retired and you are half packed all the time and no commitments. 

• Like 4

One thing that really annoys me about the carnival brands is the lack of flexibility in these kind of situations - with RC/Celebrity you can at least call to upgrade your cabin if you're before final payment & the price has come down to a point where you're happy to do that (even if it's less than what you paid for the lower cabin). I have been able to downgrade once (inside to inside guarantee for a substantial saving but I'm not sure that's normally allowed).

We was on Arvia last year and was looking to book the Christmas cruise on Britannia, the price onboard we thought was reasonable until my wife received an email offering a bigger discount with more onboard credit, the young lad who took our booking had to check if it was genuine, as of yet the price is still cheaper than now plus we have more onboard credit.

Even more annoying is the fact americans can price match their carnival cruises, so royal, carnival, p and o etc. So if they see a cheaper price they can ring up and get it re priced. Here in uk we as usual get screwed over.........

4 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Even more annoying is the fact americans can price match their carnival cruises, so royal, carnival, p and o etc. So if they see a cheaper price they can ring up and get it re priced. Here in uk we as usual get screwed over.........

They do but only for 24 hours 

https://www.pocruises.com/why-choose-us/price-promise

1 hour ago, kalos said:

They do but only for 24 hours 

https://www.pocruises.com/why-choose-us/price-promise

I don't think that is the US version - the consumer laws in the US are totally different than in the UK.

I believe that in the US if the price drops before final payment you have certain rights such as cancelling and getting a full refund (including deposit) or having your cruise re-fared at the new lower rate.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, david63 said:

I don't think that is the US version - the consumer laws in the US are totally different than in the UK.

I believe that in the US if the price drops before final payment you have certain rights such as cancelling and getting a full refund (including deposit) or having your cruise re-fared at the new lower rate.

I knew that David but was pointing out we have a measly 24 hours to 

find it cheaper then your stuck with what you agreed to .

No refunds this side of the pond just the price match .

Edited by kalos
no refund