Overland tours

We are looking at doing an overnight overland tour with Regent in Luxor in 2025.  We need to make shore excursion selection in 5 day.  I'm not sure how to make the overnight overland tour reservation.  I assume we have our TA call Regent and have it added to the reservation.  In the meantime, I plan to make excursion reservations just in case the overland tour does not go.  Anyone done this in the past and have any info on how to do this?  

Thanks

2 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

We are looking at doing an overnight overland tour with Regent in Luxor in 2025.  We need to make shore excursion selection in 5 day.  I'm not sure how to make the overnight overland tour reservation.  I assume we have our TA call Regent and have it added to the reservation.  In the meantime, I plan to make excursion reservations just in case the overland tour does not go.  Anyone done this in the past and have any info on how to do this?  

Thanks

Are you talking about Luxor and pyramids?  If so, just have your ta add to your booking; we had it added a while back. 

8 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Are you talking about Luxor and pyramids?  If so, just have your ta add to your booking; we had it added a while back. 

Yes...that's the one.  Did you choose any regular tours as back up if the Overland program doesn't go? 

4 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Yes...that's the one.  Did you choose any regular tours as back up if the Overland program doesn't go? 

No I did not.  We went to Luxor in 2017 so I don't know what we would do this time.  We have never been to pyramids so this allows us to scratch something off the bucket lists.  We are trying to decide on Jeddah tours; most everything seems expensive.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

No I did not.  We went to Luxor in 2017 so I don't know what we would do this time.  We have never been to pyramids so this allows us to scratch something off the bucket lists.  We are trying to decide on Jeddah tours; most everything seems expensive.

Thanks... our first time so we want to make sure we have something booked in case there isn't enough interest in the Overland programs for them to go.  Of course that's assuming the ship will even be able to get into the Red Sea and Egypt.  But... 

Are you on Voyager in 2025? 

23 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Yes, Auckland to Athens through the Red Sea.

Excellent! Us too! We're still hammering out shore excursions. Finally got a copy from Regent of what will be offered.  Interestingly, it shows us NOT going to Haifa, but going to Santorini the day before Kusadasi.  Not surprised, but waiting for the itinerary to change on line.  Wondering if it will before selecting excursions. 

Hope to meet you on board! 

8 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

In November, we were scheduled for the Luxor/pyramid’s overland tour. It got cancelled. Instead, we were offered an overnight in Luxor tour. It was fabulous. Day one we did three tombs, Nefertiti’s tomb and the Luxor Temple. Day two was the Karnak temple complex and the Luxor museum. 
The two days allowed us to see Luxor in more detail and was less hurried than the one day tour. 
While we were really disappointed to not go to Cairo, the alternative was very acceptable to us. 
PS read today of much increased Somali pirate attacks recently. Coupled with continued Houthi activity, I wonder how willing any cruise line will be to transit the Red Sea. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, labonnevie said:

In November, we were scheduled for the Luxor/pyramid’s overland tour. It got cancelled. Instead, we were offered an overnight in Luxor tour. It was fabulous. Day one we did three tombs, Nefertiti’s tomb and the Luxor Temple. Day two was the Karnak temple complex and the Luxor museum. 
The two days allowed us to see Luxor in more detail and was less hurried than the one day tour. 
While we were really disappointed to not go to Cairo, the alternative was very acceptable to us. 
PS read today of much increased Somali pirate attacks recently. Coupled with continued Houthi activity, I wonder how willing any cruise line will be to transit the Red Sea. 

Thanks.  We just contacted Regent and booked the Luxor overnight, sounds pretty much like the one you did.  And we're following the activity in the Red Sea.  I know the cruise is a year away, but I'm not all that optimistic that we'll get into Egypt.  

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Thanks.  We just contacted Regent and booked the Luxor overnight, sounds pretty much like the one you did.  And we're following the activity in the Red Sea.  I know the cruise is a year away, but I'm not all that optimistic that we'll get into Egypt.  

We are going to get airline tickets next month; I sure hope this cruise proceeds as planned.  This is the next Regent cruise planned for Red Sea so won't have any advanced warning.

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, mrlevin said:

We are going to get airline tickets next month; I sure hope this cruise proceeds as planned.  This is the next Regent cruise planned for Red Sea so won't have any advanced warning.

Yeah.... we'll be using Regent Air and deviating.  I haven't found anything that can "beat the price" of Regent, and I'm retired airline and get a 25% employee discount!  But the big advantage on the cruise or Regent Air is if the Red Seas remains closed, Regent will have to arrange return flights from wherever we end the cruise (my guess is Capetown).  

We also hope it goes as planned.  My wife studied Egypt in college and has always wanted to see the many sites.  We just booked the Luxor Overnight (booked on Mariner in Oct. 2025 that goes to Port Said, Egypt so will see the pyramids then).  Thanks for the good info, by the way. Called our TA and "got her done."  

I will say, for me, if the ship reroutes to the east coast of Africa, I won't complain.  Want to see Africa anyway.  And if it goes all the way around....even better. 😎

Edited by papaflamingo

On 3/22/2024 at 7:10 AM, papaflamingo said:

Yeah.... we'll be using Regent Air and deviating.  I haven't found anything that can "beat the price" of Regent, and I'm retired airline and get a 25% employee discount!  But the big advantage on the cruise or Regent Air is if the Red Seas remains closed, Regent will have to arrange return flights from wherever we end the cruise (my guess is Capetown).  

We also hope it goes as planned.  My wife studied Egypt in college and has always wanted to see the many sites.  We just booked the Luxor Overnight (booked on Mariner in Oct. 2025 that goes to Port Said, Egypt so will see the pyramids then).  Thanks for the good info, by the way. Called our TA and "got her done."  

I will say, for me, if the ship reroutes to the east coast of Africa, I won't complain.  Want to see Africa anyway.  And if it goes all the way around....even better. 😎

I suspect you will know in November 24 whether it will be safe.😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Hmm.... what's happening in Nov.? 🤣

Cancellation penalties!  Final payment for the Voyager "Grand Spice Route Quest" is due on Oct. 26, 2024.  We were booked on it but recently decided to move our deposit to something else instead.  It looks like a great itinerary, but we did not like the uncertainties involved.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Cancellation penalties!  Final payment for the Voyager "Grand Spice Route Quest" is due on Oct. 26, 2024.  We were booked on it but recently decided to move our deposit to something else instead.  It looks like a great itinerary, but we did not like the uncertainties involved.

Yeah,..  I was kidding about Nov.  Actually we've considered the possibility of a major reroute too.  I figure if the Red Sea remains closed, then the itinerary will be more similar to the current World Cruise and head down Africa and around.  My guess would be ending maybe in Capetown (that would be about the same number of days depending) then likely they'd add a cruise to get to the Med.  For us, since we would like to go to Africa anyway, not a bad alternative.  And if they did this, we'd seriously consider trying to stay on board until the ship hits the Med. But that's all speculation at this point. Who knows?   

Edited by papaflamingo

We would not be happy with a change from Athens to Cape Town.  First, Saudi and Egypt are two of the high points for us.  Second, we are doing the fall 2025 GV from Barcelona to Sydney down the west coast of Africa; these two GVs become too similar.  I will try to use FF miles for all the flights so easily redeposited but we will have to do some soul searching in October if the Red Sea is still closed to cruise ships.

• Like 1

@papaflamingo My husband and I did Regent's overland Luxor tour in November 2019, and it still remains an all-time favorite. We secured our spot shortly after booking the cruise, and although I'm not certain, I think Regent required an upfront payment. Everything was absolutely top-notch – from our guide to the itinerary to the hotel and food. Seeing the Valley of the Kings had been a long-time dream of mine, and I was thrilled with the experience! 

Here are links to my blog posts from our time there:

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/the-road-from-safaga-to-luxor-a-photo-essay/

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/luxor-at-last-karnak-temple-luxor-temple-a-milestone-celebration/

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/luxors-valley-of-the-kings-magnificent-tombs-a-reunion-with-king-tut/

Mary

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, maryogreen said:

@papaflamingo My husband and I did Regent's overland Luxor tour in November 2019, and it still remains an all-time favorite. We secured our spot shortly after booking the cruise, and although I'm not certain, I think Regent required an upfront payment. Everything was absolutely top-notch – from our guide to the itinerary to the hotel and food. Seeing the Valley of the Kings had been a long-time dream of mine, and I was thrilled with the experience! 

Here are links to my blog posts from our time there:

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/the-road-from-safaga-to-luxor-a-photo-essay/

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/luxor-at-last-karnak-temple-luxor-temple-a-milestone-celebration/

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/luxors-valley-of-the-kings-magnificent-tombs-a-reunion-with-king-tut/

Mary

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!  We have booked the same tour!  And for info, it's simply added to our booking so we don't actually have to pre-pay anything.  But NOW, thanks to your spectacular blogs... I am REALLY EXCITED to do this tour!!!  And my wife, really Egypt is her "bucket list" item as she studied all of this in college, will be amazed and thrilled by your wonderful blog and pictures!!  

Now if only the "world situation" will resolve in time.  

• Like 1

The following thread also contains various observations & pictures from the 2019 two-day overland to Luxor, which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Hope things settle down by the time of your cruise.

8 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!  We have booked the same tour!  And for info, it's simply added to our booking so we don't actually have to pre-pay anything.  But NOW, thanks to your spectacular blogs... I am REALLY EXCITED to do this tour!!!  And my wife, really Egypt is her "bucket list" item as she studied all of this in college, will be amazed and thrilled by your wonderful blog and pictures!!  

Now if only the "world situation" will resolve in time.  

@papaflamingo You are very welcome! I'm delighted this fuels your excitement and am happy to answer any questions about the overnight excursion that arise down the road. I hope the area finds peace soon, too. When we visited Luxor, Egypt was just opening up to tourists again, and everyone we met was wonderfully welcoming and incredibly grateful to have visitors. It's a spectacular part of the world!

• Like 2