Credit card pin number

jshli

There is normally a facility to sign for purchases when the POS machine detects that a card doesn't have a PIN.

But it's a few years since I last came across the same question, and the world (but apparently not the US of A) has moved on - so to know whether things have changed you need a response from someone who's been in the same situation recently.Ā 

Or make life easier for future travel outside the US by asking for a new card with a PIN.

Ā 

While I was slowly responding with my woeful typing skills, @CruiserBruceĀ has responded.

Yes, of course un-manned machines would be a problem for a card without a PINĀ  - I 've had the same impasse trying to use pay-at-the-pump at some gas stations in the US because I don't have a US zip-code.

Ā 

JBĀ šŸ™‚

@John Bull, was in France last June (not Italy). Used our PIN enabled card twice, at train station machines. Otherwise not once...eating in cafes and restaurants at least once a day, hotels, stores, etc. Had to sign most of those times, but not always.

1 minute ago, CruiserBruce said:

@John Bull, was in France last June (not Italy). Used our PIN enabled card twice, at train station machines. Otherwise not once...eating in cafes and restaurants at least once a day, hotels, stores, etc. Had to sign most of those times, but not always.

Ā 

Thanks for that Bruce. I think the OP will find that what applies in France will also apply in Italy and the other major European countries.

Ā 

BTW there's now also a contactless "tap & go" feature on cards -Ā  you just waft the card over the POS machine. But that only works with tap-and-go-enabled PIN cards and it's only good for purchases under Ā£100 (or equivalent) - over that amount you need to enter the PIN.

Being technophobic I declined a tap-and-go card, fearing that my card would be debited for purchases made by the person in front of me at a check-outĀ šŸ™„Ā and that at my expense a thief or finder could have a field day with my cardĀ šŸ™„.Ā 

So even to pay for just a coffee I have to insert my card & enter my PIN, under the bemused & scornful gaze of young & with-it cashiersĀ šŸ˜€

Ā 

JBĀ šŸ™‚

Ā 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

@John Bull, in the US, "tap" is now quite common, but we don't use PINs with them.

Ā 

So for relatively small purchases a US tap card has got to be worth a try in Europe.šŸ™‚

Perhaps even at un-manned machines

Ā 

JBĀ šŸ™‚

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

@John Bull, in the US, "tap" is now quite common, but we don't use PINs with them.

It took the pandemic to get us semi-caught up with the rest of the world.Ā  Still, there are a few merchants who haven't gotten the tap and go part of the machines enabled.Ā  LOL.

• Like 1

Ā 

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

Ā 

So for relatively small purchases a US tap card has got to be worth a try in Europe.šŸ™‚

Perhaps even at un-manned machines

Ā 

JBĀ šŸ™‚

I've used my U.S.-issued non-PIN Visa credit cards in Trenitalia ticket machines numerous times in the past year without any problems whatsoever . Lack of a PIN has never been an issue; the "system" evidently detects that this is not a PIN card and thus does not prompt the user to enter a PIN. I've also used the same cards in Italian museums, restaurants, grocery stores, and hotels and have never been prompted to enter a PIN, regardless of the amount (anywhere from just a few euros to several hundred euros). In other words, the card works the same way in Italy that it does in the U.S.

Ā 

I also use the same cards when I'm in the UK; again, they've always worked perfectly well in railway ticket machines without a PIN.

Ā 

Will wonders never cease!šŸ˜‰

Ā 

5 hours ago, jshli said:

Do I need a PIN number in Italy when using my credit card?

If you have a moderately recent credit card with USA zip, you likely wonā€™t need pin. Ā We just returned from Italy. Ā Bought several train tickets from machines with no pin needed. Ā (Rome, Naples)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2024 at 11:52 AM, jshli said:

Do I need a PIN number in Italy when using my credit card?

Ā 

Ā 

It is not an issue of type of card nor bank nor country.Ā 

Just an issue of type of payment.

Ā 

If payment machine AND your card accept a contactless payment you will surely not need a PIN

If you have to entry your card phisically in any machine, definitely you will need a PIN