Credit card fees for onboard purchases

jambalian

Hi. I'll be travelling on MSC Euribia in a few weeks, and I just got an email to say all purchases on board will be charged in Europe (I'm from the UK). Has anyone else been in my situation? Did you get charged credit card fees for every transaction, or just once when the bill was settled?

I haven't sailed on the Euribia or in Europe, but my experience with MSC has been two charges to my credit card: one when activating the card onboard, which is a $250 hold in the US. Then a second charge at the end of the cruise for any outstanding balance beyond the $250 hold.

• Like 2

Hello,

If you mean an extra charge for the privilege of using a credit card over and above the cost of the goods/services, then No to both.

Regards,

Cublet

1 minute ago, cublet said:

Hello,

If you mean an extra charge for the privilege of using a credit card over and above the cost of the goods/services, then No to both.

Regards,

Cublet

Many thanks!

5 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Regards,

Cublet

I think the OP is concerned about foreign transaction fees.

1 hour ago, jambalian said:

Hi. I'll be travelling on MSC Euribia in a few weeks, and I just got an email to say all purchases on board will be charged in Europe (I'm from the UK). Has anyone else been in my situation? Did you get charged credit card fees for every transaction, or just once when the bill was settled?

Hi

As soon as you embark you must link you cruise card with your credit card.

When linking it (there are kiosks to do it) you will have a 250€ charge (since Euribia operates in euros)

You will do any purchases on board and, after cruise (maybe 14 days later) you will have a second charge for that difference.

When using cruise card you are allowing to charge in credit card, not an instant payment

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I think the OP is concerned about foreign transaction fees.

3 hours ago, alserrod said:

Hi

As soon as you embark you must link you cruise card with your credit card.

When linking it (there are kiosks to do it) you will have a 250€ charge (since Euribia operates in euros)

You will do any purchases on board and, after cruise (maybe 14 days later) you will have a second charge for that difference.

When using cruise card you are allowing to charge in credit card, not an instant payment

Hello,

Non-sterling transaction fees are more down to the T&Cs of the card issuer than of the cruise line. But....

I cannot speak for Euribia only Virtuosa out of Southampton. Firstly, last year the onboard currency was the pound sterling (GBP) so no non-sterling transaction fees, and I was not charged anything when I registered my credit card (apart from £1.00 'donation' {?!} to the MSC charity), I was charged the whole of my account at the end of the cruise. This cruise was a round trip with no pick-ups/departures en route which may explain the currency.

Traders may put a 'hold' for an amount on a credit card, it reduces the available credit but is strictly speaking not quite a 'charge'.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

Some credit card issuers charge a foreign transaction fee if the bank used or purchase is in a different country than the country of issue.  Check the terms of your card, whether they charge this fee.  I make sure my cards do not.  MSC banks through Paris or Geneva.  I have been charged a fee by AMEX for an item purchased in Central America, even though it was charged in US$.  EM

31 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Some credit card issuers charge a foreign transaction fee if the bank used or purchase is in a different country than the country of issue.  Check the terms of your card, whether they charge this fee.  I make sure my cards do not.  MSC banks through Paris or Geneva.  I have been charged a fee by AMEX for an item purchased in Central America, even though it was charged in US$.  EM

I can vouch for that. Was on Euribia last month where the onboard currency is Euro and I purposely used a Euro MasterCard issued by a Portuguese bank thinking I would escape foreign charges. To my horror, I later discovered that I was charged a 3% fee plus 4% stamp duty making a total fee 3.12%. When I queried it, my bank told that the charge originated in Geneva and because Switzerland is not an EU member state a foreign transaction fee applies. It would have been cheaper to use my GBP MasterCard. Lesson learnt!!

1 minute ago, North West Newbie said:

I can vouch for that. Was on Euribia last month where the onboard currency is Euro and I purposely used a Euro MasterCard issued by a Portuguese bank thinking I would escape foreign charges. To my horror, I later discovered that I was charged a 3% fee plus 4% stamp duty making a total fee 3.12%. When I queried it, my bank told that the charge originated in Geneva and because Switzerland is not an EU member state a foreign transaction fee applies. It would have been cheaper to use my GBP MasterCard. Lesson learnt!!

Ouch!

I just checked with my bank, and there's no fee for using my credit card abroad, so that's one less thing to worry about.  Thanks for all the replies, it's much appreciated.

1 hour ago, North West Newbie said:

It is quite strange.... I thought the most important issue was if charging in euro or another currency

1 hour ago, jambalian said:

Ouch!

I just checked with my bank, and there's no fee for using my credit card abroad, so that's one less thing to worry about.  Thanks for all the replies, it's much appreciated.

But you will be charged in euro so you will have some fees

I would recommend you to find best card for these purposes.

For instance I have a card that

- no fee in euro, nevermind the country

- no fee in another currency. They just make the most accurate exchange (*)

- ATM in euro, 3 times/month for free

- ATM in another currency, 1,7% fee and the most accurate exchange

When I say "most accurate exchange" means that if I go to a hotel, I book my card and 100$ are charged.... and released one day later.... the first day 92,53 euro would be charged and when getting out I would receive.... maybe 92,40, maybe 92,60 depending on THAT day exchange. They warn all customers. You can receive (it is just a small percentage) more or less just because official exchange.

If your bank takes a 3%, you pay 92,53.... you receive 92,60, .... and they charge you 6 euro. You do not notice official exchange at all

I would try to find some bank like this one

17 hours ago, GPPhilly said:

It depends on your credit card.  You need to make sure to use a card that does not charge a foreign transaction fee,  

Hello,

Here, the UK, most zero foreign transaction fee cards come from 'building societies' (mortgage lenders) not traditional high street banks - though the difference is becoming increasingly blurred.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1