Upgrade bid surprisingly accepted. Wondering if the overall price is still good value.

bluecontrolman

I've booked a 4-night Med cruise on MSC Armonia for next month. My original cabin was just an interior, but I got the unlimited premium drinks package included and paid about £475 pp after early booking and Voyager club discount. That seemed pretty decent to me - roughly £120pp a day for board, food and drink. 

I received the usual upgraded bid email for a few different options and put in the lowest amount (£155pp) for a junior balcony cabin. That was accepted today, so i've now paid an additional £310. 

I'm just thinking whether £1,260 is a little pricey overall for a 4 day Med trip on an older ship in a room that is no bigger than an interior cabin? It feels better when you're just asked to pay an extra few hundred on top, but I wonder if I could have found a better deal if I was looking at better cabins to start with? To be clear, i'm not regretting my choices, just wondering about how to get the best deal in the future. 

It's definitely a good idea to check the list price of the cabin categories you are bidding to upgrade to determine if it makes more sense to just pay the difference to upgrade directly. I am not sure if that is as easily done on EU cruises as it is on US cruises. What's done is done, though, so I encourage you to just be happy with your upgrade and enjoy your balcony!

• Like 1

Those balconies were just tacked onto the outside of OV cabins, just like Carnival did with six of their 8 Fantasy class ships.  This was done when they lengthened the ships (MSC, not Carnival).  When you look at outside pics of the Armonia/Lirica class, you won’t see the balconies because the pics are old.  EM

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 2:07 AM, bluecontrolman said:

for a 4 day Med trip on an older ship in a room that is no bigger than an interior cabin

At the moment there are no cheap cruises anymore. No matter if Armonia or Euribia. I paid the highest price per person per day I ever paid for a cruise (Every cruise line, not just MSC) this May on Armonia.  Which I sailed two times before in 2011 and 2017. Also your upgrade was a good deal, I would take this with no doubt. But no more balcony cabins available for our cruise, we need to stay inside 😉

Right now I guess best deals are not possible when sailing April to September. What you paid is already the best deal, we just have to accept that Carnival ruined the market in Europe for the passengers with taking so many ships away from Costa.

It is still a pretty good deal. Just think how much a land based trip for that many days would be. Hotel prices are ridiculous, and when you add in food, drinks, and entertainment definitely costs more than the cruise. Plus on the cruise you will have that nice ocean view balcony!