Boots in Antarctica

I apologize if this has been answered many times - have done some searching but not found clear input, and interested in others' experiences.

I understand that boots are required for wet landings, and that Seabourn provides them. I am considering buying my own. Can folks advise:

1. What are the "make and model" of the boots Seabourn provides?

2. Did you find them comfortable for walking around on the landings that required them?

3. What were the distances that you walked in them on those landings where you wore the boots provided by Seabourn?

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who is willing to let me benefit from their experience!!

I'm 99% sure they are Bogs boots. Don't know the specific mode.

They are quite comfortable if you have a good fit. 

Distances are generally pretty short. A few hundred yards at most. Leisurely pace. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, markandjie said:

Distances are generally pretty short. A few hundred yards at most. Leisurely pace. 

Seriously just a few hundred yards???  We're going in December and were certainly hoping for a bit more of a hiking aspect to the landings.

Most of the landing sites are pretty controlled. There are opportunities to go further than a few hundred yards but the main attractions are typically close to the landing zone. The expedition team has to keep everyone in view so it is a relatively limited experience in terms of distance you can cover. There's also the fact that you're an outsider in a well preserved ecological environment and they want to minimize contamination. The more wildlife around the more constrained the hiking area will be. 

• Like 3

The boots are indeed Bogs. If you look at the Bogs website, they look similar to the tall Workman model.  I found them comfortable for the landings/hikes and wore them with two pairs of merino socks for warmth.

Some landings had flat trails and some (e.g. Port Charcot) had longer trails that were more challenging.  When the latter was offered, there was always an easier trail available as well.  A good way to see the variety of the landings is to check out the video journals for the Pursuit and the Venture on Seabourn’s Voyage Tracker.

I can’t recall if folks were required to wear the Bogs boots for landings.  For zodiac cruises, you could wear whatever you wanted as long as your pants and footwear were waterproof.

• Thanks 1

Trekking poles - we have our own and brought them (they collapse) both times.  We used them on just about every landing the first time (lots of snow), but only used them once the second time.  So, that is a judgement call.  Boots - they were included (no rental fees) on the Venture in Dec 2023.  This year on the Quest (Jan 2024), they had to be rented.  I don't know what the current policy on the Venture/Pursuit is and the Quest is no longer going to Antarctica.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2024 at 4:07 PM, mwike said:

Seriously just a few hundred yards???  We're going in December and were certainly hoping for a bit more of a hiking aspect to the landings.

It depends on your definition of hiking but you will at most walk a mile or so at most landings.  It can be less. The things to see tend to cluster at and within a short walk of the water.  And the boots, while comfortable, aren’t really made for long walks.  You land on the Antarctic peninsular for the sensory experience (sight, sound, smell), not for aerobics.  Standing next to a penguin and watching it is a lot more fun than walking by it.  If what you want is to truly stretch your legs I believe there are boutique lines that will better serve you than Seabourn will.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 12:58 PM, Club Eleven said:

I understand that boots are required for wet landings, and that Seabourn provides them. I am considering buying my own. 

Keep in mind that there are substantial luggage limitations for the charter flight from Buenos Aires to/from Ushuaia.  Boots are big and take up a lot of that precious space.  Most of the people I have heard about who bring their own boots do so for orthopedic reasons.  My wife has wide calves and consulted Seabourn about whether to bring her own boots.  They told her not to and they were right.  When she could not get her calves into the boots they made a small slit at the top that took care of the issue.  I was impressed, since they essentially had to throw the boots out after the cruise since they had been cut into and were willing to do so.   I found the supplied boots quite comfortable.  Are you concerned about an orthopedic issue?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We only were required to wear the Seabourn boots when we had “wet landings”.    This was in Greenland.   There were several long hikes, one for 7+ hours in Nuuk.   Others were 2 or 3 hours.   The Antarctic may be different because of wildlife.   We were near  Musk Ox and saw one polar bear.   We always had a guide with a gun if it was needed for the polar bears.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodrowst said:

It depends on your definition of hiking but you will at most walk a mile or so at most landings.  It can be less. The things to see tend to cluster at and within a short walk of the water.  And the boots, while comfortable, aren’t really made for long walks.  You land on the Antarctic peninsular for the sensory experience (sight, sound, smell), not for aerobics.  Standing next to a penguin and watching it is a lot more fun than walking by it.  If what you want is to truly stretch your legs I believe there are boutique lines that will better serve you than Seabourn will.

Gotcha.  We certainly weren't looking for these landing hikes/walks to provide any exercise value.  But am shocked they are so short.  Simply because we're thinking we'd like to see a bit more than the landing spot, but I guess that's what the RIB's and kayak's are for.

We're sort of looking at this trip as a gateway to the adventurous trips you mention.  Decided to go more luxury for the first trip and see if we enjoy it as much as others have told us.  Then maybe take the adventure focused cruise, albeit more spartan, for the next trip.

5 hours ago, mwike said:

We certainly weren't looking for these landing hikes/walks to provide any exercise value.  But am shocked they are so short.  Simply because we're thinking we'd like to see a bit more than the landing spot,

If you're at a penguin colony there's plenty to see even without walking far. You'll be amazed at how fast time flies while watching them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grandma*knows*best said:

There is no need to bring boots or buy your own.  The Bogs boots provided are perfectly comfortable.  If you are on the Pursuit, boots are provided for free.

Thank you. I have boots but won’t bother carrying them.

What about trekking poles?

On 3/26/2024 at 4:45 PM, mwike said:

Gotcha.  We certainly weren't looking for these landing hikes/walks to provide any exercise value.  But am shocked they are so short.  Simply because we're thinking we'd like to see a bit more than the landing spot, but I guess that's what the RIB's and kayak's are for.

We're sort of looking at this trip as a gateway to the adventurous trips you mention.  Decided to go more luxury for the first trip and see if we enjoy it as much as others have told us.  Then maybe take the adventure focused cruise, albeit more spartan, for the next trip.

Sounds like a great plan.

This trip report below should give you an idea of what landings will be like.  The ground is often unsuitable for extended hikes. Rocks and ice being the norm. Occasionally you might get something as long as a half mile on pebbeled ground, but that is rare.

I rent boots slightly larger then needed and bring inserts (Dr. Schol) as stabilizers along with several thickness of socks.  Smart wool are my favorites.  Surprisingly comfortable to tromp around in once you fine tune fit with socks and inserts. Most wear their Bogs for zodiac cruises.  I also bring waterproof Hokas, and sometimes wear them for zodiac cruises depending on the splash and swell. I bought Bogs for our first trip but now rent. Not worth the packing hassle.  Treking poles very helpful. I usually take just one ashore.  Hope this helps.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2992255-antarctica-cape-to-cape-on-cloud-2-21-24/#comments

Posted (edited)

We got back a couple of weeks ago and were on Pursuit. Boots were comfortable with two pairs thin merino socks and the longest hike I did was 2.2km each way to rock hopper penguin and albatross colonies. This was in the Falkland Islands. As others have said most landings on the peninsula do not require as much walking to enjoy the wildlife and scenery. I would take this trip again in a heartbeat!

Edited by Kiwi Afloat
  • Like 1

I take a 7 (EU37) normally with a C fitting and the Bog boots were spot on with a pair of thin inner socks and thicker merino outers.

I think we were on with Kiwi Afloat and agree with distances mentioned on our Feb Ant/Sth G trip. For some unknown reason I arrived with a sore foot and putting it down with pressure was excruciating for the first 10+ days. The boots I found supportive, warm and with the sticks provided I made every landing and walk with tolerable discomfort. 

On expedition ships boots are included. On ocean ships they are rented.

• Like 2