Is alternative/specialty dining cheaper if purchased once onboard vs booking before boarding?

newbie202020

Hi, I have never sailed Cunard before and was wondering if it costs less to wait until I board to book Verandah, Bamboo etc? Only sailed with Celebrity before where they offer reduced pricing/sales once onboard.

Also, I don't think I see packages for 2 or 3 specialty meals on mycunard but not sure if I'm looking in the right place.

Going to Alaska on QE if that matters. Thanks

Alternative Dining is cheaper if you book before you board but this is only available 2-3 weeks before boarding. You cannot use obc until you board. Queen Anne is the only ship with several speciality restaurants, but pricing is not available until nearer the maiden voyage. The current ships only have one speciality restaurant - the verandah which is a steak house. They also have pop ups, but I’m not sure if you can book those before boarding. 
so far no dining packages are offered by Cunard but this may change when Queen Anne comes into service with a variety of speciality restaurants. We shall have to wait and see. 

• Thanks 1

It is true that Cunard sometimes puts out a special offer while on board, taking a few dollars off the cost or offering some drink related incentive. These get advertised in the Daily Programme, and sometimes on the boarding day on the trestle tables. Equally there have been sailings where nothing has been offered.

As far as I know there are no multi-meal packages, but Cunard does work quite differently in different markets -  USA, UK, Europe, Australia.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I haven’t seen any dining package promos on this side of the Atlantic. I booked a table at Frontier a month or so ago for June voyage so if you check now if you really want to dine at a specialty restaurant or for a certain night. Frontier is only $20 pp extra so I’m not worried about OBC for that amount. Frontier’s menu looks great. I guess if I order the extra charge seafood plate that night that charge can go against OBC. 

Edited by NE John
  • Thanks 1

I'm a first time Cunarder, so I'm glad I didn't know you could only book specialty restaurants a few weeks ahead:  Two weeks ago I went into MyCunard and was able to book for Bamboo on QM2 for July.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, newbie202020 said:

Is there a 20% service charge in addition to the meal price? Thanks

It's 15% on the drinks, but not the meal. You are free to tip or otherwise when the bill is presented.

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2024 at 4:06 PM, exlondoner said:

Usually, whichever pop up is happening is cheaper on the first night of the cruise.

Are pop up's common on QM2 transatlantics?  

Any examples of what a typical pop up might be and what the cost is?

What's the best way to find out about these - the daily?

This is something new since I was last on Cunard and have only been on QM2.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, snorklinbarb said:

Thanks!

The Kings Court pop ups have been a feature since 2010 or so [port side, between staircases 'C' and 'D'] 

I think that the planned theme rotation should show up in the personalizer about a month or so before the sailing date. The evening's theme is also in the daily planner [and on the 'my voyage' intranet site - 'my voyage' may show the planned themes for the entire sailing]

2 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

The Kings Court pop ups have been a feature since 2010 or so [port side, between staircases 'C' and 'D'] 

I think that the planned theme rotation should show up in the personalizer about a month or so before the sailing date. The evening's theme is also in the daily planner [and on the 'my voyage' intranet site - 'my voyage' may show the planned themes for the entire sailing]

On some recent voyages there has been a paper sheet which gave dress codes, shows, and pop ups for each night of the voyage. I’m not sure whether they always appear.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, snorklinbarb said:

Thanks!

The three main themes for the Kings Court Alternative Dining venue (aka "pop-up" restaurant) on QM2 during a transatlantic crossing are Coriander (Indian), Bamboo (Asian) and La Piazza (Italian). The themes typically run for three or four consecutive evenings before switching to another theme. If booked in advance via My Cunard, the cost is $20 per person. If booked on board, the cost is $25 per person. The timeframe has varied quite a bit for when you are first able to see the schedule and book the Kings Court Alternative Dining venue in My Cunard.

Edited by bluemarble

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2024 at 11:58 AM, bluemarble said:

The three main themes for the Kings Court Alternative Dining venue (aka "pop-up" restaurant) on QM2 during a transatlantic crossing are Coriander (Indian), Bamboo (Asian) and La Piazza (Italian). The themes typically run for three or four consecutive evenings before switching to another theme. If booked in advance via My Cunard, the cost is $20 per person. If booked on board, the cost is $25 per person. The timeframe has varied quite a bit for when you are first able to see the schedule and book the Kings Court Alternative Dining venue in My Cunard.

Thanks!  If you book in advance for a particular evening and then need to switch to same pop up say a night later, is original price honored or will they charge the extra?

1 hour ago, snorklinbarb said:

Thanks!  If you book in advance for a particular evening and then need to switch to same pop up say a night later, is original price honored or will they charge the extra?

Sorry, I'm not sure what policies apply to changing the date of an alternative dining reservation booked in advance. I don't book alternative dining in advance since we are diamond status with the Cunard World Club. One of the diamond perks is one free dinner in the alternative dining venue so I only reserve once on board.