On Indy in Grand Turk today

There were plenty of excursions available once we boarded Thursday. We rented a golf cart at the port for $120 (cash only plus gas) for the day.  It was fun being on our own tour but there isn't much to see! The island is very safe, very few locals even out. Gas station attendant told us the weekends are very low-key here and most people stay home. The golf carts and ATV's are 90% of the vehicles on the road. There is nothing much "downtown". We ate at Jack's Shack and spent about an hour at Governor's Beach. Oh, a 1/2 tank of gas was $10. It was a really nice day and it was a bonus to go somewhere we've never been! And fun seeing the donkeys. They are plentiful!20240323_104414.thumb.jpg.c5390cda3c140025f22ef5b8e459a871.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, fla33023 said:

There were plenty of excursions available once we boarded Thursday. We rented a golf cart at the port for $120 (cash only plus gas) for the day.  It was fun being on our own tour but there isn't much to see! The island is very safe, very few locals even out. Gas station attendant told us the weekends are very low-key here and most people stay home. The golf carts and ATV's are 90% of the vehicles on the road. There is nothing much "downtown". We ate at Jack's Shack and spent about an hour at Governor's Beach. Oh, a 1/2 tank of gas was $10. It was a really nice day and it was a bonus to go somewhere we've never been! And fun seeing the donkeys. They are plentiful!20240323_104414.thumb.jpg.c5390cda3c140025f22ef5b8e459a871.jpg

$120 for a golf car for a few hours , good for them. Someones rakin it in!

Looks like my type of place though ... I'm into Low Key !

Cheers

6 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Cheers

Well the tour was $25/person so that would have been $75 for 4 hours. For an extra $45 we could be out all day. Time in port 8:30 - 4:30. We did 9 to about 2:30. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I had a couple of week-long trips to Grand Turk before there was even a cruise port there, and I would love to go back. Naturally I hope the current crisis resolves quickly, but if not, it certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings if our next Labadee stop became Grand Turk instead!

Edited by la_croisiere_s'amuse
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

Cheers

They are not your typical golf cart. Gas powered, 4-6 passenger off road capable, knobby tired, that you can take places cars get stuck. 20 mph speed vs the 12 mile governor on most. Typical first trip from the port is a 7 mile run out to the lighthouse, then maybe the off road run out to fisherman's point. Car rentals are cheaper, but cars are not as good transportation for the terrain as the carts. Lots of hard sand/island rock roads instead of pavement once off the main 2 roads. Just aren't allowed to take them on any of the beaches (cars not allowed either). Hands down the best way to get around the island.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RedIguana said:

They are not your typical golf cart. Gas powered, 4-6 passenger off road capable, knobby tired, that you can take places cars get stuck. 20 mph speed vs the 12 mile governor on most. Typical first trip from the port is a 7 mile run out to the lighthouse, then maybe the off road run out to fisherman's point. Car rentals are cheaper, but cars are not as good transportation for the terrain as the carts. Lots of hard sand/island rock roads instead of pavement once off the main 2 roads. Just aren't allowed to take them on any of the beaches (cars not allowed either). Hands down the best way to get around the island.

Good to know

Cheers

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 11:34 PM, smokeybandit said:

We heard a couple stories from passengers last week about getting a golf cart with no power or no brakes.

I guess you mean they ran into trouble after they left. You can power them up and test them out before you pull off.  The no brakes is scary especially with the donkeys in the road!

3 minutes ago, fla33023 said:

I guess you mean they ran into trouble after they left. You can power them up and test them out before you pull off.  The no brakes is scary especially with the donkeys in the road!

Yes, after the got it. I heard one person say they started OK then couldn't go more than a couple miles per hour.

2 people said they had brake issues and one almost hit a donkey as a result.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 11:34 PM, smokeybandit said:

We heard a couple stories from passengers last week about getting a golf cart with no power or no brakes.

29 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Yes, after the got it. I heard one person say they started OK then couldn't go more than a couple miles per hour.

2 people said they had brake issues and one almost hit a donkey as a result.

Did they look like this?

Is your mind driving a Fred Flintstone car? – Pam Grout

• Like 1
  • Haha 3