Anyone know how magic carpet sky suite connecting rooms work?

jcroc

Posted (edited)

Hi, we'll be cruising for the first time and have booked into Magic Sky Suite and Veranda connecting room on Celebrity Edge - just have a few questions. 

These rooms seem a bit odd since I think, usually, connecting rooms are in the same class. It seems like it could be a bit logistically awkward e.g. if the parents have priority boarding, do the kids who aren't in a suite? 

It seems our under 12 child may also be able to go into the retreat area, but not our two teens. I think I also read somewhere a few had been able to pay extra to 'upgrade' older kids to have access to this area? (not a dealbreaker if we can't do this, we mainly just really wanted connecting rooms and these were the only ones available). 

Also keen to know more about the onboard activities for teens in particular. We will be travelling in the school holidays/vacation time in Australia so there may well be some other kids/a busier cruise in general. 

Anyone have any experience? Thanks so much

Edited by jcroc
can't spell

Posted (edited)

Thanks 🙂

I think one of the things I'm most worried about is will this connecting suite/non-suite room render a lot of the suite privileges useless for us as a family? say for things like checking it sounds like we won't be able to use priority embarkation or any benefits like this, because obviously we can't just abandon our teens to check in by themselves.

The 12 year old age limit seems nuts and completely impractical. It's not like kids 12-17 are going to be any different to younger kids.

Maybe this is what people mean when they say Celebrity isn't great for families, sigh...

Edited by jcroc

Posted (edited)

Non suite guests don’t have suite privileges. Guests in the other room  won’t be able to eat in Luminae or use the retreat deck unless you are able to by a pass for the whole week (they are limited and usually only available to high end suites) or you may be able to pay for them to eat with you on a space available basis . You would be better downgrading to a regular cabin so that you can enjoy your time together .

Edited by CruiseCrew123

We might have to consider it - though annoyingly, there are no other connecting cabins available... probably should have gone with another cruise line haha

They already do though this with younger kids though? That's my point. Kids under 12 can use the retreat with their parents, and older kids 12-17 for no apparent reason can't. 

If they're going to allow under 12s into these areas with parents, or to use these benefits with parents like checking in, why not teens? 

I totally get it if it's applied to people like adult family, grandparents etc in a connecting suite.

The MC suites we have had stayed in  the suite and connecting cabin share a hallway.  There is an entry door to the main hall that can remain closed when both cabins are traveling together.  Then the doors that go directly into each cabin can remain open if desired.

6 hours ago, jcroc said:

They already do though this with younger kids though? That's my point. Kids under 12 can use the retreat with their parents, and older kids 12-17 for no apparent reason can't. 

If they're going to allow under 12s into these areas with parents, or to use these benefits with parents like checking in, why not teens? 

I totally get it if it's applied to people like adult family, grandparents etc in a connecting suite.

I wouldn't worry about check-in; I don't think anyone is going to stop you and tell you your teens can't check in with you. 

We've sailed in The Retreat and were able to have non-retreat guests dine with us at Luminae on a space-available basis, which usually wasn't an issue, they just had to pay a cover charge. 

As for the Retreat lounge/sundeck, I understand wanting your teens to join you, but please let that go.  If everyone was allowed to bring non-Retreat guests in, it would be crowded and unfair to the other Retreat guests.  Either stop by without your kids for a brief drink or go elsewhere on the ship.  I know that's not the answer you want to hear, since you and your partner are entitled to access, but if you're booking so late that you can't book two cabins in the same category, that's just a trade-off you might have to accept.

• Like 1

There is a door that the suite guest and "connecting" cabin guest have access to, that door opens to a hallway where there are the two separate doors leading to the separate cabins.  So you are sharing a hallway.  If you know each other you could keep your cabin doors propped open and the hallway entrance door would remain closed. 

This is from the Celebrity website FAQ Retreat section:

Can guests of The Retreat invite friends and family to dine in Luminae?

Yes, only guests of The Retreat may invite friends and family to dine at Luminae for an additional fee. Reservations are based on availability only. 

Can guests staying in a stateroom that adjoins to a suite access The Retreat?

No, only guests of The Retreat may access The Retreat.

Am confused by the OP question and definitely by the answers.

I am assuming your kids (12 and 17?) are booked in an adjacent cabin to a Sky Suite.

Boarding would be a non issue.  Just arrive and board together.  Cannot imagine anyone would not let you board together.  

Dining is the issue as unless you pay for them they cannot eat in Luminae.  Thus if it was my family would be moving to different cabins that are in the same class. Lots of Verandas with inside across the hall or adjacent.  2 Aqua cabins would let you all eat in Blu.  That would be my personal choice.  Understand that all cabins from Veranda to Aqua are almost identical in size and Concierge IMO offers little incentive to book

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 7:48 PM, jcroc said:

Hi, we'll be cruising for the first time and have booked into Magic Sky Suite and Veranda connecting room on Celebrity Edge - just have a few questions. 

These rooms seem a bit odd since I think, usually, connecting rooms are in the same class. It seems like it could be a bit logistically awkward e.g. if the parents have priority boarding, do the kids who aren't in a suite? 

It seems our under 12 child may also be able to go into the retreat area, but not our two teens. I think I also read somewhere a few had been able to pay extra to 'upgrade' older kids to have access to this area? (not a dealbreaker if we can't do this, we mainly just really wanted connecting rooms and these were the only ones available). 

Also keen to know more about the onboard activities for teens in particular. We will be travelling in the school holidays/vacation time in Australia so there may well be some other kids/a busier cruise in general. 

Anyone have any experience? Thanks so much

I'll echo the comments regarding the Retreat Privelege package. Before requesting the package, I'd first see if they could move one of your teens into the MS room so that you would have 3 in the MS and 2 in the veranda room. That way you'd only have to pay for the privelage package for one person (under 12 is free).

In my opinion, it would be worthwhile to get everyone Retreat access so everyone has access to the whole ship.

Please report back with what you end up doing 👍

• Like 1

If you currently only have 2 people in the suite then moving a third person in will incur an additional charge . Did you book through a TA in so you need to go back to them to sort out this mess as it shouldn’t have happened in the beginning