More on Ultimate Dining - Lunch Day 1 and Multiple Vouchers?

The description of the Ultimate Dining Plan doesn't mention this, but down in an FAQ, I found mention of lunch on day 1 being included "dependant on specialty restaurant hours".

So, I'm looking at Symphony specifically, but interested if this usually happens in general. Are any of the specialty places open for lunch in day 1 and did your dining plan work?

Second question, and maybe this has changed over time, but was watching a video about the dining plans with DW and they said that in the a LA carte restaurants (e.g. Izumi) they used up their voucher, then checked out and started a new voucher. Is that possible?

5 minutes ago, TBone2K said:

I was just hoping to know in advance other's experience if somewhere will be open.

Operating dates/times of each dining venue should be listed in the app - set it to the current sailing.

On 3/25/2024 at 11:03 PM, TBone2K said:

they used up their voucher, then checked out and started a new voucher. Is that possible?

Not anymore.  Royal put an end to this about a year ago.  Now, with the UDP you are limited to 1 visit per day to the Ala carte restaurants.  Once you use your allocation, it’s gone and no more will be covered.  If 2 people have the UDP then you would get double the Ala carte value….but only once per day.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, there is usually a specialty restaurant (or more) open on embarkation day. Yes, your UDP works on day 1.

The best way to know in advance is to go to the Cruise Planner for your cruise online (not the app).  Go to dining and look for "specialty restaurant lunch", then click on the restaurant(s) listed.  Go through the reservation process to the point you see the days the restaurant is open for lunch.  Day 1 will show in the list if it's open that day.

Your choice as to whether you make the reservation, then show up with your UDP and have the cost credited back to your card/obc, or however you paid.  I've done this several times successfully, ESPECIALLY if I hand over my list of preferred reservations with a tip, and ask them to make my other reservations for the whole cruise.  Don't forget day 1 dinner, as they automatically select a restaurant for you, and you may want another one.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We always get the UDP, the restaurants open for lunch on day 1 will be listed in the app, it’s always the quietest day at the specialties and we always are able to walk right in. Go to any of the specialty restaurants as soon as you get onboard with your list of where you want to eat and the times for each day and they will get that set up for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1