Baltimore Tragedy: Collapse of Francis Scott Key Bridge

8 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

Would a freighter of that vintage have any backup available for the rudder [e.g. some sort of  pressure accumulator] or would it fail promptly with loss of the electric buss?

Not sure about her "vintage" as she is only 9 years old.  All ships are required to have two steering systems in order to provide redundancy.  They are identical electro-hydraulic systems, one powered from the main switchboard, and one powered from the emergency switchboard.  The emergency switchboard is powered from the main switchboard under normal conditions, but when the main switchboard goes black, the emergency switchboard will disconnect, the emergency generator will start, and provide power to all the emergency circuits, including the one steering motor.

A hydraulic accumulator that would be large enough to move a rudder on a ship of that size (medium-large) for anything more than a few moments would be the size of a couple of the shipping containers it has on deck.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, tscoffey said:

Prayers for anyone possibly on the bridge at that time.

It appears from the map that all cruise ships would have to pass this bridge (now destroyed). 
This will not be passable for a long time. Likely weeks before a wide enough passage can be established. From the port schedule, Carnival Legend was due in on March 31st. What is the alternative nearby port?

I guess we'll know by Sunday as to the alternative.  If I remember correctly, there have been times when Alexandria VA has hosted cruise ships. Wherever they go, they'll have to get a bunch of folks back to Baltimore.

I have been totally 'dead ship' twice in unfavourable circumstances.

The first time wasbeing towedoutof a drydock by two tugs. We had no engines. No problem until a sudden squall which caused one tug to snap its line and the remaining one couldn't cope. All we could do, on the poop, was stand clear when we collided with the jetty. A surreal experience🙂

The other time was in force 8 when we lost the main engine and within an hour we lost the emergency generator. That was 'interesting' 🙂

I dread to think what was going through their minds when they realised just exactly what was going to happen.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 5:47 AM, tscoffey said:

Prayers for anyone possibly on the bridge at that time.

It appears from the map that all cruise ships would have to pass this bridge (now destroyed). 
This will not be passable for a long time. Likely weeks before a wide enough passage can be established. From the port schedule, Carnival Legend was due in on March 31st. What is the alternative nearby port?

Forgive me if this has already been posted.  The latest here is that 2 of the bodies of the missing construction workers have been found in a truck in the river.  The other 4 are still missing and presumed deceased.  Prayers for the families.  The Legend will be returning to Norfolk since they can't get back into the port in Baltimore.  Then, they will be bussed back up to Baltimore.  That's the closest port that can handle all involved, and it is several hours away.  Stay in touch with your TA for up-to-date information as it changes.

8 hours ago, htkodiak said:

Will this include the Pride ?The only specific ship mentioned is the Legend.

I don't think they are moving to Norfolk except as needed until the Baltimore port is back open.  Right now they are probably evaluating from week to week as no one knows how long the whole process will take.  Such a tragic situation.

On 3/26/2024 at 6:33 PM, mskaufman said:

I guess we'll know by Sunday as to the alternative.  If I remember correctly, there have been times when Alexandria VA has hosted cruise ships. Wherever they go, they'll have to get a bunch of folks back to Baltimore.

They will be transporting the passengers from Norfolk, VA back up to Baltimore on Sunday by bus.

On 3/26/2024 at 7:10 AM, caribsun said:

So sad, we have a Motorhome and have taken this bridge many times because the tunnels do not allow propane tanks. We have a trip planned next week. Thoughts and prayers. 

You might already know this, but you now need to take I-695 up on the western side around Baltimore.  It's a longer drive, but it is your only alternative now the Key bridge is gone...for now.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 9:55 AM, Turtles06 said:

It's a horrible tragedy; prayers for all affected.   It's hard to understand what might have happened. 

I assume a harbor pilot would have been on board the container ship at that time.  Is that a correct assumption? 

Yes, the harbor pilot was on the ship, but the ship lost power, and drifted/veered off course and hit into the bridge support with so much force it collapsed instantly.  Nothing anyone could do right then, but something awful happened and that will be investigated, I'm sure.

I believe the Pride is scheduled to come back to Baltimore in mid April. There may be a lot more information available by then concerning the reopening of the ship lanes. In my humble opinion, Carnival is right to wait a bit before announcing a plan for the Pride. I'm sure there is a tremendous amount of pressure to get the shipping lanes open again. Baltimore is a major East Coast port, and the closing will have a big effect on things like employment, supply chains and what-have-you. I bet that once the recovery efforts and the NTSB investigation are complete, they will move on the cleanup really fast.

Appeared to have lost power twice. The pilots (some info that there was a Senior and Junior) did more than just get a cup of coffee before it went cold as without power there is nothing to do. Depending on how the Master stores the anchor you might not even be able to drop it without power.

It is reported the pilots reached out to stop the traffic on the bridge, they were true heroes.

6 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

Depending on how the Master stores the anchor you might not even be able to drop it without power.

I don't know of any way of stowing an anchor where it cannot be dropped without power, gravity is a wonderful thing.  And, typically, both anchors are prepped for release as soon as the ship leaves the dock.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I don't know of any way of stowing an anchor where it cannot be dropped without power, gravity is a wonderful thing.  And, typically, both anchors are prepped for release as soon as the ship leaves the dock.

If not actually walked out, manned and ready to drop

19 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

If not actually walked out, manned and ready to drop

Correct.  The lashings would be removed, the windlass clutch released, and the anchor "hanging" on the brake, and the Bosun and a Seaman standing by.  Spin the brake handle, and gravity does the rest, in a cloud of dried mud and rust.

On 3/28/2024 at 8:50 AM, chengkp75 said:

No power can't release hydrolic brake. 

1 hour ago, Brighton Line said:

No power can't release hydrolic brake. 

Never seen a windlass that didn't have a manual brake handwheel even on a remote hydraulic brake.

20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Never seen a windlass that didn't have a manual brake handwheel even on a remote hydraulic brake.

I think it's a SOLAS requirement.  Though my internet is limited right now,  and can't find the cite 

FYI from the Baltimore District of the Corps of Engineers. This is from their FB post, and the comments are off the chart, again, so just the graphic...

435010873_817571473740459_75474764387790

• Like 1