"Strings" on entertainment page of website

Kay S

We have been gone from HAL for awhile but just booked a TA for next year.  I was looking at the website and the entertainment pages where I saw a category called "Strings."  I know Lincoln Center is gone (a huge bummer) but have they replaced it with some generic classical thing they are calling "Strings"?  

18 hours ago, Kay S said:

We have been gone from HAL for awhile but just booked a TA for next year.  I was looking at the website and the entertainment pages where I saw a category called "Strings."  I know Lincoln Center is gone (a huge bummer) but have they replaced it with some generic classical thing they are calling "Strings"?  

6 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I believe that it's part of the Europe Itineraries for this coming season.

I am not seeing that anywhere on the website.  Can you post a link?

On this year's Grand Australia/New Zealand they have a trio (piano, cello and Violin) that are outstanding. They do 3 shows a day using programs that they put together which are much better than the limited offerings that Lincoln Center had available. Their skill level is very high. All in all at least these 3 are an improvement from the Lincoln Center program. 

My understanding is that on the longer itineraries or in certain locales they are bringing back classical offerings. Just not Lincoln Center branded.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Fred321 said:

On this year's Grand Australia/New Zealand they have a trio (piano, cello and Violin) that are outstanding. They do 3 shows a day using programs that they put together which are much better than the limited offerings that Lincoln Center had available. Their skill level is very high. All in all at least these 3 are an improvement from the Lincoln Center program. 

My understanding is that on the longer itineraries or in certain locales they are bringing back classical offerings. Just not Lincoln Center branded.

This is the best news I've heard on this front since they pulled the plug on LCS. When we did our Norway cruise last July aboard Rotterdam the LCS signage was still on display, rubbing salt into the wound.

The notion of a high-caliber piano/cello/violin trio having their own free rein over a classical, semi-classical, and fusion repertoire is attractive.

• Like 5

That's exactly what they are offering and I understand that they are to be aboard the Volendam until it reaches Montreal, well after the end of the Grand Voyage. One of the many nice surprises on this voyage. Have the distinct impression that HAL is listening and doing what they can within the financial straits the industry is experiencing.

• Like 1

Well, my next cruise is European, so I will see.  Any return of classical music would be welcome.  I don't care what they call it.

• Like 1

I hope this can be expanded to include most, if not all, itineraries.

Or that at least HAL will make clear exactly what sailings will include classical music up front, not keep your fingers crossed and wait till you get onboard…..

• Like 1

There used to be Adagio piano/violin duos, who were able to play what they and the audience wanted. One Ukrainian pianist learned a Mozart sonata, just to please me. Every duo was unique, some bored, some inspired. It's what cruise ship music should be, full of variety, not playing the same sets from an ipad on every ship, every cruise, If they come up with an alternative to the three possible Step One dance shows, even better. It just gets as boring and repetitive for repeat HAL cruisers as the one lunch menu. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

I hope this can be expanded to include most, if not all, itineraries.

Or that at least HAL will make clear exactly what sailings will include classical music up front, not keep your fingers crossed and wait till you get onboard…..

I so agree with this. Part of my frustration with HAL is that they are constantly teasing and not delivering. 

People told me on these boards for years that itineraries longer than 14 days had lecturers. Well in my experience, some have had lecturers, some have not. And some lecturers are good while others are terrible.

I feel the same about classical music. While I am guardedly happy that it seems to be returning, I find it completely frustrating that I have no way of knowing whether there will be any classical music on MY cruise.

I hope HAL does have classical music on this year's Europe itineraries. I am booked on the Rotterdam for 14 days in August. But I feel skeptical as the cruise can also be done in 7-day segments, meaning HAL will probably claim that they don't do classical on short cruises.

Frustrating.

I truly don’t understand how or why having some sort of classical music is that difficult for HAL to provide.

Celebrity, Princess, and Cunard all offer it, if it was cost prohibitive they would not.

• Like 1

On our recent Rotterdam cruise (2/25-3/8) this topic was brought up at the Ask the Captain presentation.  A frequent HAL cruiser politely stated how much they missed Lincoln Center and if there were any plans for anything similar to return.  The Travel Director politely let him know that this wasn't necessarily an Ask the Captain question (which is more about him and his ship experiences), but she did answer it by saying something to the effect that something like that would be returning to maybe about half the fleet sometime this year (don't remember her exact words)  The audience clapped at that news.

This was our second HAL cruise, so we had never experienced Lincoln Center, but we definitely missed a quiet venue for strings or background piano like we have experienced on Celebrity and Princess.  But we also loved the Music Walk venues when we were interested in livelier music.  

1 hour ago, Trish Traveler said:

This was our second HAL cruise, so we had never experienced Lincoln Center, but we definitely missed a quiet venue for strings or background piano like we have experienced on Celebrity and Princess.  But we also loved the Music Walk venues when we were interested in livelier music.  

The Music Walk originally included Lincoln Center.  It wasn't just a "background music" lounge.  The people who attended the performances (and it was always packed) were there to listen to the music, not chat.  In fact, if anyone so much as whispered during a performance, he was met with dirty looks.  With all the changes in the entertainment venues, I wonder if HAL will continue to promote the deck as the Music Walk.

• Thanks 1