NCL Encore - Military tribute?

I will be on the Encore to Alaska in May 2024.

Does NCL do any sort of a military tribute?  Other cruise lines do short, planned tributes of various types during the course of the week.

I searched some posted Latitude Dailys but did not see anything listed.  I would hate to miss it if there is one. 

6 hours ago, Lynnpins said:

Does NCL do any sort of a military tribute?  Other cruise lines do short, planned tributes of various types during the course of the week.

I searched some posted Latitude Dailys but did not see anything listed.  I would hate to miss it if there is one. 

Are you signed up with NCL's Military Program? 10% off cruise is one of the benefits.  On the Epic in January we also received a nice package in the cabin with a patch and metal pin and a nice letter. There was also a Veteran Meeting that was very nice. NCL will verify your military service through Id me and you only need to do it once. There on our when you go to book a cruise you are automatically given your benefits. Also available for spouses.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Lynnpins said:

As ready2cruz said, get yourself registered and then you'll automatically receive benefits.

The package left in your stateroom is very nice and they do have a reception at some point and it is listed in the dailies.

I sailed Joy last July, received the package, but missed the reception due to day drinking! Lol!!

I'm sailing Getaway in 23 days and plan on attending the reception this time.

NCL does this military perk right. the discount is great and the recognition onboard is a very nice touch too.

Enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 3

I just tried to register as a Veteran on the NCL website, but repeatedly get the message copied below.

I cannot find anything within the FAQs so wondered if the veterans program is for US veterans only, or are British veterans also covered. Does anyone know please ?

image.thumb.jpeg.382a21bf35374c9af9025eb022875bbd.jpeg

1 minute ago, Manchester is blue said:

I just tried to register as a Veteran on the NCL website, but repeatedly get the message copied below.

I cannot find anything within the FAQs so wondered if the veterans program is for US veterans only, or are British veterans also covered. Does anyone know please ?

image.thumb.jpeg.382a21bf35374c9af9025eb022875bbd.jpeg

I think it is only US veterans, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I think it is only US veterans, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong

@ready2cruzagain You are correct!

• Active members, veterans, spouses and surviving spouses of the following branches of the United States military with a verified ID.me account:

• Army
    • Navy
    • Air Force
    • Marine Corps
    • Coast Guard
    • Space Force
    • National Guard
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

@ready2cruzagain You are correct!

• Active members, veterans, spouses and surviving spouses of the following branches of the United States military with a verified ID.me account:

• Army
    • Navy
    • Air Force
    • Marine Corps
    • Coast Guard
    • Space Force
    • National Guard

Thank you ggTexasGal,.. I couldn’t find that.

Cheers.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lynnpins said:

Here is my report of the Veterans "tribute" from my trip report on the Jade from last month. If you miss it, you won't be missing much...

Attended the official Veteran's reception in the Spinnaker. Every seat was taken in anticipation of a memorable event. In a word it was...disappointing. They played the National Anthem, asked who in the crowd was in the Army, Navy, etc., brought up a few senior crew members...and then adjourned the event. Ten minutes later. Seriously. Seriously disappointing. NCL does a great job of recognizing Veterans with the discount, medals, pins, etc., so it was surprising how this event went down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Here is my report of the Veterans "tribute" from my trip report on the Jade from last month. If you miss it, you won't be missing much...

Attended the official Veteran's reception in the Spinnaker. Every seat was taken in anticipation of a memorable event. In a word it was...disappointing. They played the National Anthem, asked who in the crowd was in the Army, Navy, etc., brought up a few senior crew members...and then adjourned the event. Ten minutes later. Seriously. Seriously disappointing. NCL does a great job of recognizing Veterans with the discount, medals, pins, etc., so it was surprising how this event went down.

That is disappointing!

My wife and daughter are aware that I skipped it last year and want me to attend next month, so that's what I'll be doing. Lol!

If it's only 10 minutes and disappointing, I'll just be getting back to my day drinking faster!

Thanks for your comments.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Same here.  I like the discount.  The "swag" was a nice touch.  The rest?  I went to the first one (trying to remember the ship, but it escapes me), but took a pass since then.  It's about 10 mins.  

The discount is "the big thing" for me.

ID.me should get you registered on your sailing.  I think they only checked mine once and all subsequent cruises they added the discount.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

it was...disappointing.

What else do you want NCL to do? Most corporate businesses don't even recognize the military at all, let alone a 10% discount (the patch and pin is a nice bonus). 15 months ago they didn't do anything, so I think they are tremendous.  Yes the veteran meet up official portion was short, but that's preferable to me, I'd rather it be a meet-and-greet style anyway. It did include two nice photos for free.

20231230_173028b.jpg

• Like 5

we were on a b2b last year, and i got the package on both legs. the cocktail party was poorly attended, but i think  your philosophy is 100%

schmoopie, i am very disappointed in you (not that you would care either way) NCL or any other company or organization doesnt owe us a thing. it's been over 50 years since i got out of the army. the package, and the cocktail party was a nice gesture. it may not have been much but ncl did give recognition to past and present service people. accept it as such.

it's much better then a stick in your eye. by the way, my wife always gets mad at me when anyone says "thank you for your service" as i invariably reply "dont thank me, i was drafted"

by the way. on both legs of our cruise, the party lasted at least 30 minutes. 

as the goodie package and the cocktail party was  unexpected there was nothing to be disappointed about.

so what do you want? a rubber beesquit?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I'm shocked at the personal attacks for simply stating my opinion of something that I personally attended. But then again, it's CC, so...I guess I'm not entitled to an opinion.

Apparently all of the attackers missed the point that I said I APPRECIATE what NCL does for Veterans. The thing that I (and essentially everyone I spoke to after the "event") thought was that it was essentially much ado about nothing. They simply went through the motions. To have a room full of probably 125 people who took time out of their day to make sure to attend, and to have it last 10 whole minutes was a joke. No "cocktail party"...no social time afterward...nothing.

Sorry, I (and they) were there...none of you were. Maybe it's handled better on other ships, but this was a joke. People who attended were still expressing their disappointment the next day and beyond in bars, while standing in line for restaurants and in elevators. etc. 

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 2

“so what do you want? a rubber beesquit?”

I remember that movie!  LOL!

Agree with your sentiments.  Appreciate “thanks”.  But, that was decades ago!   I’ll take the discount, though!

THANKS?  Hey, if it makes you feel better, thank away!

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I'm shocked at the personal attacks for simply stating my opinion of something that I personally attended. But then again, it's CC, so...I guess I'm not entitled to an opinion.

Apparently all of the attackers missed the point that I said I APPRECIATE what NCL does for Veterans. The thing that I (and essentially everyone I spoke to after the "event") thought was that it was essentially much ado about nothing. They simply went through the motions. To have a room full of probably 125 people who took time out of their day to make sure to attend, and to have it last 10 whole minutes was a joke. No "cocktail party"...no social time afterward...nothing.

Sorry, I (and they) were there...none of you were. Maybe it's handled better on other ships, but this was a joke. People who attended were still expressing their disappointment the next day and beyond in bars, while standing in line for restaurants and in elevators. etc. 

With all due respect, I fail to see the personal attacks that you mention.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Are you signed up with NCL's Military Program? 10% off cruise is one of the benefits.  On the Epic in January we also received a nice package in the cabin with a patch and metal pin and a nice letter. There was also a Veteran Meeting that was very nice. NCL will verify your military service through Id me and you only need to do it once. There on our when you go to book a cruise you are automatically given your benefits. Also available for spouses.

Thanks for that info!  I am not the military member, but my Dad is a Koren War veteran and my son is currently active duty AF.  They are not cruising with me this time.  But I like to attend the Vet meetings and any acknowledgment of our military. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

As ready2cruz said, get yourself registered and then you'll automatically receive benefits.

The package left in your stateroom is very nice and they do have a reception at some point and it is listed in the dailies.

I sailed Joy last July, received the package, but missed the reception due to day drinking! Lol!!

I'm sailing Getaway in 23 days and plan on attending the reception this time.

NCL does this military perk right. the discount is great and the recognition onboard is a very nice touch too.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Hi, thanks for your response!  I am not the military member but my Dad and Son are.  They are not cruising with me this time, but I love to attend any kind of recognition of our military onboard!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

A different experience...

I was aboard the Bliss in January. The gathering was in the main dining room.

There were some speeches and thank you's.

There were canapes being passed by some waiters. They also took orders for drinks - apparently any bar drink you wanted.

Then they called up everyone by branch of service for photos. They also made free copies of those photos available to the attendees.

Nothing spectacular, but a pleasant experience overall.

Shame on the Jade by comparison.

• Like 5

I was aboard the Viva, March 3rd sailing. The gathering took place in the observation deck, about 30+ attendees. They passed hors d'oeuvres and drinks, a performer for Syd Norman band, sang the National Anthem, then they had all veterans introduce themselves (Name, Branch and years of service) It was about an hour long. 10% discount is great. Thank you NCL for recognizing our veterans.

• Like 5

hey schmoopie, i apologize if you interpreted my comment to you as an attack. it certainly wasnt my intent to attack your position, i just wanted to point out that ncl doesnt owe veteran's any special recognition, but  the 10%, the goodie package and the cocktail party (regardless of it's length ) in and of itself is a nice gesture. who wouldnt want to stop by for a free drink?

am i forgiven?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

In a word it was...disappointing.

11 hours ago, FFTB said:

What else do you want NCL to do?

11 hours ago, complawyer said:

schmoopie, i am very disappointed in you

10 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

I'm shocked at the personal attacks for simply stating my opinion

10 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

With all due respect, I fail to see the personal attacks that you mention.

3 hours ago, BandAgain said:

Not many professions are 24/7/365 so recognition of those who committed to our country & the toll that service takes is appreciated.

3 hours ago, destar said:

Thank you NCL for recognizing our veterans.

4 minutes ago, complawyer said:

i just wanted to point out that ncl doesnt owe veteran's any special recognition

Just a small capsule of this thread. Fascinating.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

We have been to a few now.  I will say NCL kicks it off with some nice words from a moderately senior officer, fancy little snacks (because I don't know how to spell horduvers), fancy drinks, and gives everyone a nice photo.  After that - they are what the group makes them. My last one, each veteran took about 30 seconds to introduce themselves and say a couple words. (OK - few people felt 2 to 5 minutes was necessary but only a few.)  It turns out, we had quite a crew of former Air Force Space Command, US Space Command, and for those still serving US Space Force folks and we got together at the end.

Edited by itsnotjustme
  • Like 1

I just sailed on the Joy and I didn't see anything about a gathering, perhaps I missed it. I did get a nice packet with a pin, a patch and a medal. By far the thing I appreciate most is the 10% discount. Anything else is gravy.

When we sailed Breakaway last year I didn't know about the military program. I wonder if NCL would send the patch if I asked. 

• Like 1