Help, please - Anchorage hotel suggestion

Cam14

We arrive in Anchorage around 7:30 p.m. and will take the Alaska railroad to Seward early the next morning (Radiance of the Seas, May cruise).  I had reserved a national hotel chain at a good rate and called them this week to see if there were any other options in the area and was quoted a great price for another property.  The CSR cancelled my original reservation and booked the less expensive property for a date in April instead of the correct date in May.  The correct rate is substantially higher than my original rate, so I asked her to restore my original reservation, which she said would be a much higher rate.  I declined.  I contacted the national office to see if this could be resolved and was told it would not be at my original rate, which I lost due to the error by the CSR.

We are just looking for a good hotel with an airport shuttle.  Where do you suggest we book?  Thanks so much for your help.

7 hours ago, Cam14 said:

We are just looking for a good hotel with an airport shuttle.  Where do you suggest we book?  Thanks so much for your help.

The Hotel Captain Cook has always been a fave of ours over the years and would highly recommend it-- it's an Anchorage institution. Not sure if they have a shuttle from the airport though. 

I am not aware of any downtown hotel which offers a complementary shuttle from the Anchorage airport to downtown.  

The Captain Cook is an Anchorage institution.  Also consider the downtown Marriott. The downtown Westmark is becoming “long in the tooth” but would be fine for one night.

9 hours ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

Coming in at 7:30PM, I might just stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Anchorage Airport. I love the Hotel Captain Cook, but you wouldn't have much time to enjoy it.

If you end up staying at the Courtyard, walk across the street to the Lakefront/Millennium Hotel. They have a nice deck where you can watch the float planes come and go. It’s the busiest seaplane base in the world.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Did you book the train on your own or added on to the cruise? If it’s through the cruise, you should receive instructions on catching a bus to the train terminal, which will give you an idea on where to spend the night. If you’re on your own, stay near the airport so you’re close to the train terminal in the morning. Have fun!

Thanks for the information.  We booked the train on our own, and the hotel is going to assist arranging for a taxi for the next morning.  We are very excited!