Brilliance of the Seas in Newcastle

Reported to be docked for repairs after hitting a container while on South Pacific cruise. Todays departure for Tasmania has been cancelled. Refunds plus 50% OBC.

My son is on Ovation in Vila atm. He and his friends almost booked it but luckily decided otherwise.

First I have heard about hitting a container. A container would cause external damage, yet there is no drydock in Newcastle nor any port safety restrictions relating to divers at the berth where she is being repaired.

Royal themselves have called it a "technical issue" and it relates to the loss of steering control of one of the azipods. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 9:54 AM, MicCanberra said:

Yeah, Brilliance has cancelled a few cruises due to running repairs.

More like “ not running” repairs Mic.😁

Nothing official,   but our shift for the turn on Thursday has not been cancelled so hopefully repairs are  completed and she will be back in service. 🤞

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Hoping they can resolve the issues completely and not just limp around doing half ar?ed itineraries.

A la NCL a few years ago?

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Hoping they can resolve the issues completely and not just limp around doing half ar?ed itineraries.

Good news…..just confirmed that repairs are completed and the sailing on the 4th April is good to go…..so it is  full speed ahead. 👍

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

That is good news, especially for those on that cruise.

Even though our 30/3 cruise was cancelled, we have had a lovely week with family in Nelson Bay and are ready to jump on board on Thursday. We saw Brilliance in Newcastle too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fairywren said:

Even though our 30/3 cruise was cancelled, we have had a lovely week with family in Nelson Bay and are ready to jump on board on Thursday. We saw Brilliance in Newcastle too.

Good stuff, enjoy.

Not that there is a rush, but Brillance was due to depart Newcastle att 6pm.

Still at Channel Berth in Newcastle. No tugs nearby, but there are some taking a collier in that could connect to Brillance on their way back.

Not due into Sydney now until 10am, which is still on time considering nobody is disembarking.

Still a curious delay though, as she was meant to be leaving Newcastle at 6pm last night. There has been a restriction that cruise ships arrive and depart in daylight hours, and I wonder if the were caught out by that port rule that may still apply, even without passengers.

Where there is smoke ......

Brilliance of the Seas entries have dropped-off Sydney Ports shipping movement page for today, now showing an arrival from Newcastle on Sunday.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Where there is smoke ......

Brilliance of the Seas entries have dropped-off Sydney Ports shipping movement page for today, now showing an arrival from Newcastle on Sunday.

I received a message to start work at 8:15 am instead of  9:00am so I think all is good.No problems 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

I received a message to start work at 8:15 am instead of  9:00am so I think all is good.No problems 

Brilliance of the Seas is still in Newcastle (7am). Perhaps a day of passing on a message? 

download(51).thumb.png.ddb756e4b981d85cb3d528e9fce4493e.png

Sydney Ports is now not expecting her off Sydney Heads until Sunday morning.

https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/sydney-harbour/pilotage-navigation/daily-vessel-movements/

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Brilliance of the Seas is still in Newcastle (7am). Perhaps a day of passing on a message? 

download(51).thumb.png.ddb756e4b981d85cb3d528e9fce4493e.png

Sydney Ports is now not expecting her off Sydney Heads until Sunday morning.

https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/sydney-harbour/pilotage-navigation/daily-vessel-movements/

Hmm …..Interesting, I guess I will find out in half an hour when I get to the OPT. 

• Like 2

To say this as if it is Sydney's fault they can't embark a cruise till Sunday.

They could embark via Captain Cook cruises boats from White Bay on just about any day. A crap embarkation for sure, but better than waiting 3 days, especially for anyone who has already travelled to Sydney to board. They could provision the ship by loading-up prior to departing Newcastle - Channel Berth was set-up for cruise ship turnarounds, but just lacks an embarkation facility and staff.

Alternately, they could also board on any evening at OPT. I get the feeling the truth is she won't be shipshape for another couple of days.

24 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I get the feeling the truth is she won't be shipshape for another couple of days.

Too be fair, the letter does state that is the case in the very first sentence.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Too be fair, the letter does state that is the case in the very first sentence.

A bit of extra time, yes. The 2nd sentence places the altered timeline on the Port of Sydney.

An interesting tone, no mention of out-of-pocket, and is only missing an Ahoy Sailor.

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

To say this as if it is Sydney's fault they can't embark a cruise till Sunday.

They could embark via Captain Cook cruises boats from White Bay on just about any day. A crap embarkation for sure, but better than waiting 3 days, especially for anyone who has already travelled to Sydney to board. They could provision the ship by loading-up prior to departing Newcastle - Channel Berth was set-up for cruise ship turnarounds, but just lacks an embarkation facility and staff.

Alternately, they could also board on any evening at OPT. I get the feeling the truth is she won't be shipshape for another couple of days.

Since there is no 100% guarantee she will sail on Sunday we have cancelled and are flying home today. At least we got to visit with family. A few claims coming up.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, fairywren said:

Since there is no 100% guarantee she will sail on Sunday we have cancelled and are flying home today. At least we got to visit with family. A few claims coming up.

Fair call

8 hours ago, fairywren said:

Nelson Bay is great, but a shame your cruises were affected. Good luck with your claims.

Brilliance has gone to sea tonight to test the repairs, due to return to Newcastle in the morning. Hopefully it is all working well for those boarding on Sunday, as well as those on the transpacific next week.

download(52).thumb.png.03c7ba615cfe85b0c8be10c38d09ea2f.png