Elvis cruise on the Pacific Encounter

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We enjoy Eurovision but are quite disappointed that Australia is now competing in it. We didn't mind them doing a song as a spectacle  each year but to compete in it like a European country is just ludicrous.

Yes. It's now the embarrassing drunk uncle you HAVE TO invite to the wedding.

• Haha 2

Eurovision has been an international competition for more than forty years.  The name refers to the broadcasting transmission network, not to Europe in general.   There's nothing ludicrous about countries from Asia, Africa and the South Pacific entering in the contest.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, buchhalm said:

.....ONE Elvis (or any other) tribute act per cruise is fine. But an entirely impersonater cruise sounds like hell to me. Something for the die-hard fans only.

Agree on that for sure. Whilst Elvis was the King, and we have enjoyed 'Elvis shows' over the years on land and at sea, I can't imagine enjoying a whole cruise entertainment schedule being Elvis' or perhaps it's Elvises or Elvii??

We have done a number of country music themed cruises, but a variety of artists, even in the same genre, would be our choice. Slim or Willie of even Dolly every day would not work!!

2 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Eurovision has been an international competition for more than forty years.  The name refers to the broadcasting transmission network, not to Europe in general.   There's nothing ludicrous about countries from Asia, Africa and the South Pacific entering in the contest.

Well, (fee paying) members of the European Broadcasting Union, actually.

Anyway, Eurovision was a lot more fun when they had to sing (at least in parts) in their national language.

I remember when they even had a live orchestra which EVERYONE had to use. They only used their own conductors. 

Then countries started to split up and Yugoslavia turned into several separate countries. Then the ...stans and Baltics came along and we had several dozens of entries. With pretty much interchangeable techno doof-doof music.

And don't get me started with convoluted and incomprehensible, and ever-changing voting systems .

Still. Infuriatingly addictive to watch.

• Like 1