I miss the old Princess

landnsea

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I am all for changes for the better. In the cruise industry that doesn't seem to be the case.  

Some of them are for the better IMO. I am happy that I don't have to figure out who and how much to tip, for example.

6 hours ago, ArizonaStorm said:

whole post

You are comparing apples to broccoli. If you want a fair comparison, compare it to the sailing the Titanic. 😉 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I have read on the forum that this is stooping and that additional mains will now carry an extra charge (not just lobster). 

If I have got this wrong then I apologise but I remember it very clearly when I read it as it rather disappointed me.

I think you're confusing a blanket policy for what Princess HAS done, which is make specific mains - lobster, filet mignon, and a combination of the two - an upcharge, and limited THOSE items to one each on formal night when they're on the included part of the menu. But from what I've seen, you can order anything else in the Mains section along with your one surf & turf.

As recently as January, a server offered to bring me two entrees when I couldn't decide between them.

It's a bit baffling to me that this is a huge deal to some folks - many people who order multiple entrees end up leaving a substantial amount of food behind. Sure I'd like to try two different things from the menu sometimes, but it doesn't seem like I should have a right to that or that not being able to do it is going to lessen my "experience" in any way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

It used to be that a well-known thing about the MDR when cruising was that you could order extra courses without additional charge... want 2 starters? want to try 2 or 3 mains? What about extra desserts? 

I have done this a few times but generally I don't because I don't like waste and I'd only order a 2nd of a particular course if I knew I would likely eat it. It was a great way to try out different culinary delights.

I have read on the forum that this is stooping and that additional mains will now carry an extra charge (not just lobster). 

If I have got this wrong then I apologise but I remember it very clearly when I read it as it rather disappointed me.

I haven’t seen anyone eat two mains but I’ve had waiters offer two when I’ve been undecided. Ordering multiple starters is absolutely not an issue. Having an appetizer, soup, and salad or at least two of them is pretty common.

• Like 2

Guest Snaxmuppet

Well, if I got it wrong then so be it. Now I know. I will find out in 3 weeks!

4 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I haven’t seen anyone eat two mains but I’ve had waiters offer two when I’ve been undecided.

DH enjoyed a mains so much (on another cruise line) that he asked for a second helping.  From then on, our waiter brought a second mains every evening whether DH wanted it or not!  (One night I couldn’t decide which dessert I wanted so he brought me all three). 

As for adding a charge for a second mains, MSC has introduced a charge of $5 on their US sailings. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

We will often order an entree for our table to share - maybe a pasta dish or just something we all want to taste. We did this as recently as this past February. We have never been charged for it.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I have personally yet to see those types of charges. If they every do begin, it would probably the last Princess cruise for us. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 8:01 AM, 555 said:

I have personally yet to see those types of charges. If they every do begin, it would probably the last Princess cruise for us. 

On the Crown right now and the Cruise Director announced before production show, "Eat, eat, eat as many main entrées as you want".  No extra charge on this ship inbound Hawaii, nor was there on the Discovery 3 months ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruisintimer said:

On the Crown right now and the Cruise Director announced before production show, "Eat, eat, eat as many main entrées as you want".  No extra charge on this ship inbound Hawaii, nor was there on the Discovery 3 months ago.

We've never encountered addition charges in the DR but last cruise in Sabatini's the waitress made a special point to tell us that the meal only included 1 appetizer from each section and anything extra would be an additional charge BUT she would check with the cook to see if we could add additional.

They didn't charge us extra but I got the distinct impression she was priming us for an additional tip above the 18% for her concern. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 555 said:

We've never encountered addition charges in the DR but last cruise in Sabatini's the waitress made a special point to tell us that the meal only included 1 appetizer from each section and anything extra would be an additional charge BUT she would check with the cook to see if we could add additional.

They didn't charge us extra but I got the distinct impression she was priming us for an additional tip above the 18% for her concern. 

If you look at Sabatini’s menu it clearly states for each course “choose one”. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/2/2024 at 2:29 AM, TheMichael said:

I think you're confusing a blanket policy for what Princess HAS done, which is make specific mains - lobster, filet mignon, and a combination of the two - an upcharge, and limited THOSE items to one each on formal night when they're on the included part of the menu. But from what I've seen, you can order anything else in the Mains section along with your one surf & turf.

As recently as January, a server offered to bring me two entrees when I couldn't decide between them.

It's a bit baffling to me that this is a huge deal to some folks - many people who order multiple entrees end up leaving a substantial amount of food behind. Sure I'd like to try two different things from the menu sometimes, but it doesn't seem like I should have a right to that or that not being able to do it is going to lessen my "experience" in any way.

Some of the portions are small, but there are so many courses included that it makes up for a big full plate at each course. My husband and I would sometimes skip the apps and dessert to share a third entree to our meal if there were several entrees that appealed to us. It's not fun being full like you can get at Thanksgiving on a cruise. 

Lorie 

• Like 2

On 3/31/2024 at 5:40 AM, Cruising since 1976 said:

Just took Crown Princess to Mexico from SF for 10 days.  Took a Princess cruise to  Alaska in 2014.  I felt standards had really slipped over the decade and was reminded of the 3 (sloppy) Carnival cruises I took in 1979-1981.  Surly service at the main guest desk, some strange crew member regularly blowing a train whistle in the buffet, obviously untrained and insufficient busser & server support staff in MDR.  Two alternative, quasi popup, dining venues seemed haphazard & slow.  I'm guessing parent Carnival is focusing on the cheap side and milking what's left of the Princess brand.  (Time to just rename the ships, tack on flammable funnels and a theme park ride, and be done with it?)

I'm off to other lines — and probably smaller ships.  Not quite to Holland America yet, but the "Fun Ship" mentality may ruin HA before I get there.

How can you compare anything with the Carnival of 40 years ago?  They no longer shoot skeet or hit golf balls off the aft deck.  They no longer have the top optional deck around the funnel.  And the Carnival Corporate big wigs let each of their entities do their own thing.  

Seems like Seabourn would be to your liking, but maybe the blue hairs on HAL could be right up your alley.

In the meantime, we'll enjoy our many Sphere Class sailings on Princess and our occasional Excel Class sailings on Carnival.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 2:25 AM, TheMichael said:

We were on the Regal in January and had twice-daily service. Not sure if it's what some would consider "full turn-down" (no chocolate on the pillow), but in addition to tidying, the decorative bed cushions and runner were stowed (then replaced during the next morning's service).

The only mainstream line that still provides a chocolate on your pillow that we know of is X.  Not on Princess, Carnival, NCL, MSC or NCL.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 5:23 AM, Cruisintimer said:

We have sailed on the Discovery twice in the last year and Crown/Ruby as well they all have had twice daily service/ turn down.  No chocolate anymore like someone else has mentioned.

You can always spend a few dollars, bring your own on board and pretend it is 10 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, TRLD said:

You can always spend a few dollars, bring your own on board and pretend it is 10 years ago.

I've actually been thinking about bringing some because I do love a small chocolate when I go to bed. 🤣 It would mostly be a surprise for my husband.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MacMadame said:

I've actually been thinking about bringing some because I do love a small chocolate when I go to bed. 🤣 It would mostly be a surprise for my husband.

❤️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacMadame said:

I think the ones they give you at Olive Garden would be perfect!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Maybe I have gotten the chocolates once, right after the restart, during turn down... But another cost cutting measure and obviously they're filling the ships right up.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 4:14 AM, Beamafar said:

As for adding a charge for a second mains, MSC has introduced a charge of $5 on their US sailings. 

This means I'll never sail on MSC

Generally speaking, the procedure of "I hate everything about this and that cruise line but I will book them anyway, no matter the cost" will lead exactly nowhere.

Stop booking what you don´t like, or deal with the flaws.

I haven't cruised since '19, I cruise for the ports, sea days, different itineraries.  I haven't been on a short cruise (7/10 days) or Caribbean in years.  Cruising has changed over the years, took my first in 1982.  Some 35 cruises later, I enjoy it.

Life changes, losing both sisters in '22, moved to IA, close to family.  I'm bummed, cancelled my eclipse cruise on the Emerald.  I was on the Emerald in '18 for a 30 day So. America cruise.

Long story but reading these posts, none would deter me from cruising again and it will be with Princess.  All these years, reading reviews, posts about food, things people complain about, I just don't get it.   My cruises in the 80's/90's were way different if you want to talk changes.  It never once made me think I wouldn't cruise because those things don't happen anymore.  

On 3/29/2024 at 11:45 PM, landnsea said:

Just back from our Southeast Asia sailing Singapore to Tokyo onboard Diamond Princess. A wonderful adventure we had,crew and staff were great as always service wonderful in every way. Our second Princess sailing since the industry’s return from Covid. This is not the same Princess Cruises that we fell in love with cruising with. So many corners have been cut most if not all of the little things that ment the most to us are long gone.We did not once eat in the Horizon Court nothing and i mean nothing looked at all appealing. We enjoyed our morning breakfast in Sabatini’s as always. The evening dinners repeated itself though out the sailing no WOW whatsoever. No more Sterling Steak House or Crown Grill it was replaced with something they called the Brazilian all you can eat meat experience? I did speak with the Food and Beverage Officer The Maitre De and the Executive Chief each pretty much had the same thing to say in response to my questions. The menu choices in Asia change Not as many choices for the foodies onboard. That was very obvious to say the least. Our next two sailings are not with Princess we do have two open bookings on our books but nothing booked as of now. Feeling disappointed with our Princess Cruises as cruising is such a big part of our life. 

Landnsea

John Laura and Gaby

Seattle, Wa. 

Cruising has changed.
We’ve been cruising since 2003, one or two a year, with several cruise lines, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and recently Princess.  It seems to have gotten a bit more complicated and involved with new “enhanced” technology. 
     I come from an IT work environment and have worked with computers for more years than I’d like to admit.  So I’m quite comfortable with new technology.  But, when they roll out new technology that causes more problems and issues for people trying to reserve a cruise, it just makes it difficult for those trying to cruise.  Some cruise lines have rolled out new technology without fully testing the app.
    Then try contacting the cruise line thru customer service!   They hire staff for their “customer service” who don’t have the answers, give you the wrong information, or simply hang up. 
    We’ve noticed the cutbacks and price increases across the board.  

The food selection has taken a turn for the worse, with limited selections.  When it’s better to have dinner in the buffet rather than the MDR; well, that’s not a good thing.  
    And since when do they allow guests in the MDR, to come with t-shirts and/or shorts for dinner?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pickels said:

Cruising has changed.
We’ve been cruising since 2003, one or two a year, with several cruise lines, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and recently Princess.  It seems to have gotten a bit more complicated and involved with new “enhanced” technology. 
     I come from an IT work environment and have worked with computers for more years than I’d like to admit.  So I’m quite comfortable with new technology.  But, when they roll out new technology that causes more problems and issues for people trying to reserve a cruise, it just makes it difficult for those trying to cruise.  Some cruise lines have rolled out new technology without fully testing the app.
    Then try contacting the cruise line thru customer service!   They hire staff for their “customer service” who don’t have the answers, give you the wrong information, or simply hang up. 
    We’ve noticed the cutbacks and price increases across the board.  

The food selection has taken a turn for the worse, with limited selections.  When it’s better to have dinner in the buffet rather than the MDR; well, that’s not a good thing.  
    And since when do they allow guests in the MDR, to come with t-shirts and/or shorts for dinner?  

Sorry the days of tuxes and suits are over. I no longer own a tie and no longer bring slacks, sports coat or long sleeve shirts on a cruise. I wear jeans or crew pants with short sleeve shirts. I have never seen a buffet where the food is better than the MDR on any of my 60 cruises

• Like 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Sorry the days of tuxes and suits are over. I no longer own a tie and no longer bring slacks, sports coat or long sleeve shirts on a cruise. I wear jeans or crew pants with short sleeve shirts. I have never seen a buffet where the food is better than the MDR on any of my 60 cruises

Depending on your preferences, there is more of a selection in the buffet.

• Like 1