Longshoreman's Union responsibilities

I am wondering if it is the scope of the Longshoreman's union that handles ship's mooring lines at docks and piers?  Is it from the same 'craft' that loads and unloads baggage and freight from ships, or a separate entity?

Likely the same union but different skills.  I’m sure @chengkp75could give us a good explanation.  From prior reading I have learned that the cruise ship gigs are much sought after due to the anticipated (optional) gratuities, and that they bid for the jobs.  Many of those that get them have high seniority, might be bringing home better salaries than you…EM

Yes, the ILA handles the mooring lines as well.  Members sign up for what types of work they want to do, whether cargo handling, cruise ships, or ling gangs.  I believe it's every month that they can change what they want as their assignments.  Line gangs for any ship are 6 men, plus any in boats that may be needed to handle lines that go to dolphins or are very long over water.  Most cargo ships are lucky if 3 of the 6 show up to actually work, but you pay for the whole gang.

• Like 2