Dawn passengers left “stranded” on African island

1 minute ago, noshoobie said:

Booing?? You must be a Philadelphia Sports fan. LOL. (you can see where I'm from). Has anyone ever thought that the "issue" might have been embarrassing - like explosive d***hea? (Sorry - hope no one is eating breakfast while reading this. lol

Do you mean saying "due to a bout of sudden illness " rather than a vague statement? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Do you mean saying "due to a bout of sudden illness " rather than a vague statement? 

No. I really meant to say something embarrassing. I think saying "ED" is pretty specific - not vague. 

Edited by noshoobie
adding
  • Like 1

What I find most interesting is the fact that so many on this thread are on the Campbells side in some form (compare that to the 96 comments on the yahoo site cited which are almost unanimous for the ship). I have been on a whopping 1 cruise and a member here for a short time and the all-aboard rule is mentioned constantly (as it is on virtually every YouTube channel). It is a rule not a guideline. If you want to take the risk of an independent tour off the coast of Africa, that is your right and I do not wish ill will, but if you suffer the risk of missing the ship I am not sympathetic. 

I also have to comment on the medication issue. There is less information here but if one is taking medication that is health critical (chance you can die or get critically ill) you must take it with you whenever you leave the ship. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, noshoobie said:

No. I really meant to say something embarrassing. 

I meant they could have tactfully given a more specific explanation rather than saying it was an "issue."   I think they used that same word in more than one interview.   They are being deliberately vague and that is inviting more speculation as to why.   

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

There have been reports of the same couple being late at every stop the tour makes.  

Is that true? That the couple has been "late" at other stops?

I have been on other cruises where it seemed the same people were late every time on excursions.  It got to the point where we would agree to take turns tagging along with them just so we could keep track of them.

• Like 2

Just a couple of comments.... There has been enough discussion regarding the comment that the Captain "refused" to answer both the Coast Guard and the Harbor Master, and  discussion of airlines leaving people at the gate for me to comment.  I am both Retired U.S. Coast Guard and a Retired Airline Captain.   Let me say this. No Professional Ship's Captain would EVER "refuse" to answer either the Harbor Master OR the local Coast Guard!!!! I can't stress this enough.  A ship's captain simply DOES NOT ignore the local authorities, at least not if he wants to keep his job.  It would be like an Airline Captain ignoring and refusing to answer an FAA Controller.  SIMPLY NOT DONE!  

As for Airlines leaving people at the gate. What you may or may not know.... for an airline to depart a Weight and Balance must be generated and on board.  In order to make an "On Time Departure" the flight is "closed out" around 5-10 minutes before departure and the Weight and Balance is generated.  ANY change, even adding 1 person (or removing 1 for that matter) requires a whole new Weight and Balance to be generated.  This is done (at least at the airline I flew for) by the Dispatchers in an office at the airline's headquarters so it isn't a quick thing. THAT is the number one reason that Agents don't let late passengers board.  And to add to that, airlines are ranked by on time performance, something that the traveling public demanded, so the days of waiting have come and gone. And just for perspective of how critical Weigh and Balance is, when I flew the L-1011 (a very large plane weighing over 400,000 pounds), we took a Football Charter out of Florida.  We had to remove ONE 180 pound Charter Rep. in order to have the "numbers" for takeoff.  Imagine a 180 pound person being "critical" to an over 400,000 pound aircraft!  So Weight and Balance is no joke. 

My point is, there is a lot in this story that is not exactly correct, and there are a lot of dynamics in place that make something that seems simple, like waiting, very difficult and costly.  But before judging anyone, it's imperative that all dynamics are understood and the entire story is known. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 12

10 minutes ago, slidemaster5 said:

I also have to comment on the medication issue. There is less information here but if one is taking medication that is health critical (chance you can die or get critically ill) you must take it with you whenever you leave the ship. 

I always keep a few days worth of my medication on me at all times.  Including my inhaler because I am asthmatic. 

I also carry my inhaler everywhere on the ship.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

What I find interesting is that we are only hearing one side of the story from the Cambells.  Why are we not hearing anything from the other 6 people who missed the ship?  Something's not adding up here.  Is it possible that the Campbells put expenses on their credit card because they were the cause of the delay returning to the ship?  The only explanation (from the Campbells) for the late return was that there was an 'issue' during the excursion which caused the late return.  When I hear vague terminology from people trying to make themselves look blameless, it makes me want to know the specifics, not a generalized term which could mean anything.  Has any of the crack media reporting the story even attempted to contact the tour provider or the other passengers for their version of the story?  I would tend to think that would be interesting.

And I have never seen an independent tour company put any guarantee on getting you back to the port on time, yet they are not receiving any of the blame.  Had this been the embarkation port in the US and there was an issue with the independent shuttle they booked to get them to the port would NCL have waited for them then?

2 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

And I have never seen an independent tour company put any guarantee on getting you back to the port on time, yet they are not receiving any of the blame.  Had this been the embarkation port in the US and there was an issue with the independent shuttle they booked to get them to the port would NCL have waited for them then?

I have seen many tours advertising Guaranteed Return to Ship.  That doesn't mean the ship will wait,  rather it means they will be responsible to get you to the next port of call so you can re-board there if the ship leaves without you. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

Here's one that has a 100% on-time guarantee - There are others...

image.thumb.png.48cf012b853bd66ca32ccc14db2fe1ea.png

https://www.spaindaytours.com/spain-shore-excursions/

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Daniel A said:

I have seen many tours advertising Guaranteed Return to Ship.  That doesn't mean the ship will wait,  rather it means they will be responsible to get you to the next port of call so you can re-board there if the ship leaves without you. 

Interesting.  I would like to hear about one of the success stories from that.  This could be quite an expensive proposition for a tour company to make that type of a guarantee.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, kd1044 said:

I always keep a few days worth of my medication on me at all times.  Including my inhaler because I am asthmatic. 

I also carry my inhaler everywhere on the ship.

Great! Perhaps there should be pinned medication thread, lol. I am going on a NCL Bermuda trip next month and I will always carry a few days' worth of meds off the ship. Not looking for a CVS in Hamilton.

Edited by slidemaster5
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Sorry, maybe I wasn't 100% clear on what I meant.  Normally there is a 100% guarantee or...

You cannot guarantee returning to the port on time in 100% of circumstances because there are always circumstances out of their control.  So what happens in those circumstances was what I was curious about.

Edited by RedwingHockeyFan

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

My point is, there is a lot in this story that is not exactly correct, and there are a lot of dynamics in place that make something that seems simple, like waiting, very difficult and costly.  But before judging anyone, it's imperative that all dynamics are understood and the entire story is known. 

Thank you. People have no idea on the procedures and laws vessels need to comply with and the dangers and costs associated therein.  I've been waiting for a statement like this!

Maybe the last thing on the daily at ports should be:

"Time and Tide wait for no one! This means YOU!"

Vic

Edited by Victress2007
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, sorry the internet (and CC) is being REALLY flakey! We’re off the coast of Mauritania and Western Sahara.  Weirdly it would let me post a pic and hopefully this edit will work! 

To answer a few Q’s, the cruise has been going great despite the drama. I loved this “No Stress” pic from the beach in Senegal because it sums up the fact that we’re still on vacation so enjoy things!

no I have not yet personally seen The Late 8 but they are all apparently here and someone on *site not to be named* saw them filming yet another interview. IMG_3949.jpeg

Edited by Ashlynkat
Seeing if text appears
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 8

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

I wish I could sit down to dinner with the folks that got left behind.  I'd bet the story of getting from San Tome to Gambia and then to Senegal would be incredibly interesting.

If all they had was a credit card, then most likely they flew. Overland travel in Africa is gonna require cash. 

Senegal pictures? Here's one from my visit on the Amsterdam in 2018. You know how they call a speed bump a sleeping policeman in some countries?

IMG_1238.JPG

Edited by Wehwalt
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

Here is Viator's guarantee 

Worry-free Shore Excursions

20.1 For Products noted as a "Worry-free Shore Excursion", if you (a) purchase such a Product for redemption while in a particular port-of-call, and (b) are not returned by the applicable Supplier to the ship in time to board, Viator will (subject to Sections 20.2 and 20.3) arrange the necessary transport to the next port-of-call.

20.2 The policy set forth in this Section 20.1 - 20.4 applies only when, through no fault or action of your own, you are not returned to the ship in time to board. The policy is void in instances where delay is caused by your own actions and/or you have deviated from the Experience that you Booked.

20.3 In order to benefit from this policy, you must supply Viator with correct arrival and departure ship information and ensure there is enough time (minimum 2 hours) between the Experience end time and the ship departure time. You must contact Viator directly and as soon as possible to request next port-of-call transportation arrangements as you cannot book your own travel without voiding this policy.

20.4 Subject to your eligibility, Viator will facilitate the booking of travel for you to the next port of call (not to exceed US$1,000 per person).

20.5 In addition to the protection offered pursuant to Section 20.1 - 20.4, if your ship misses a port-of-call or is delayed beyond the commencement time of your Worry-free Shore Excursion, simply contact Viator within 14 days. Pending verification of the ship's actual itinerary, we will issue you a refund.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

The one thing I would like to know, what was the name of the tour operator that caused those passengers to miss the boat.

I do have sympathy for those passengers who missed the boat.  They made a terrible mistake not booking through the cruise line, but it was a mistake.  We all make mistakes, some more grievous than others.

And how many times on CC has someone asked about taking an excursion through the cruise line only to have many members tell them to book through an independent tour company because it's cheaper and better than the ship's tours.

and what was the tour that they missed the boat that late it's not that big a place.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

and what was the tour that they missed the boat that late it's not that big a place.

Generally, in my experience, private excursions are PARANOID about ensuring you are back to the ship on time because of what you just asked.  We all talk to each other on various boards and social media.  If they cause one group to miss the ship, everyone is going to know almost immediately, and their company is going to be finished.  No one will book with them again. I am finding it very odd that we don't know yet which tour company it was.  Something is just weird all the way around on this one. 

• Like 10

Posted (edited)

My family owned a tour company pre-covid (we were in business for 30 years, opening slowly again this summer) and we specialized in the later years almost solely on cruise ship shore excursions. And yes we have always had this type of guarantee to get our guests back to the ship on time. And I have seen it for many many other tour companies too around the world. 

What this guarantee meant for us was/is: 

1. We are professionals, we know our stuff. Our tours are never planned so tight that there is a risk to get late back to the port. Our excursions always ended minimum 1,5 hours before all aboard. We constantly monitor the routes of our tours and are sure we know of the traffic conditions for example. We have extra vehicles that we could use in needed.

2. Our employees are professional, we know how to make sure we stay on schedule and we know how to handle people who might have the tendency of being always late, we don’t let our guests be late (there are ways of handling this gently but proactively, trust me).

3. Things happen, thats why we always have an extra pair or two pairs of hands available close by at any given time. You cannot imagine how often tour participants might for example experience health problems etc during a tour and you need to have someone to stay and help them (get them to the doctor, hospital, find a pharmacy, whatever). This won’t disrupt the tour for the rest of the participants if you have those extra pair of hands close by. 

4. Still, things can happen. In the 30 years we were in business we had one (1) tour that missed the ship due to a very big road accident in a location that we simply could not pass. We had 14 people on our tour and yes we arranged everything for them: we contacted the ship to explain what was happening (professional, well established tour operators have good contacts with the harbour people) and arranged where the people could meet the ship, we made sure the people got their documents they needed and if someone had medicines only onboard the ship made sure they got them too. We arranged hotels for the night and transportation to the next port. Was it expensive? Of course but this is what a responsible tour company does. We never ever leave our guests in trouble. 

Which truly makes me wonder what that company was like that these people used. Most likely (I can only assume) this was a company who had no experience in cruiselines and had zero clue of all aboard time truly meaning all aboard. But still, what tour company leaves their guests in trouble. I honestly cannot understand. Tour companies live on being reliable and taking you back on time. You get a bad reputation really soon and really quick if you are not reliable and you don’t take care of your pax.

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 14

55 minutes ago, slidemaster5 said:

What I find most interesting is the fact that so many on this thread are on the Campbells side in some form (compare that to the 96 comments on the yahoo site cited which are almost unanimous for the ship). I have been on a whopping 1 cruise and a member here for a short time and the all-aboard rule is mentioned constantly (as it is on virtually every YouTube channel). It is a rule not a guideline. If you want to take the risk of an independent tour off the coast of Africa, that is your right and I do not wish ill will, but if you suffer the risk of missing the ship I am not sympathetic. 

I think most people on this thread are experienced cruisers and I don't think there's that much sympathy for the Campbells here.  There was one guy that seemed to support them 100% and was responding in favor of them a lot.  Not sure if he actually sided with them or if he was just trying to be antagonistic, but he seems to have left the thread.

24 minutes ago, Ashlynkat said:

Hey guys, sorry the internet (and CC) is being REALLY flakey! We’re off the coast of Mauritania and Western Sahara.  Weirdly it would let me post a pic and hopefully this edit will work! 

To answer a few Q’s, the cruise has been going great despite the drama. I loved this “No Stress” pic from the beach in Senegal because it sums up the fact that we’re still on vacation so enjoy things!

no I have not yet personally seen The Late 8 but they are all apparently here and someone on *site not to be named* saw them filming yet another interview. IMG_3949.jpeg

The "Late Eight".... hahaha that's great!  Not surprised they are still doing interviews.  It would be nice if one of the other 6 does an interview but they seem to have appointed the Campbells as their spokespeople.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Spain and europe aren't usually and issue as it normally isn't that far or hard to get to the next port plane train automobile.    But africa and new guinea and other more remote places I would definitely opt for the ship excursion (consider the cost difference insurance)

3 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I think most people on this thread are experienced cruisers and I don't think there's that much sympathy for the Campbells here.  There was one guy that seemed to support them 100% and was responding in favor of them a lot.  Not sure if he actually sided with them or if he was just trying to be antagonistic, but he seems to have left the thread.

The "Late Eight".... hahaha that's great!  Not surprised they are still doing interviews.  It would be nice if one of the other 6 does an interview but they seem to have appointed the Campbells as their spokespeople.

Yes most here realize the err wasn't on NCL but if you read some of the media comments (e.g. fox NBC....) people are making ridiculous comments showing they either have never been on a cruise or have any knowledge of (well anything)

• Like 3