Smooth sailing Alaska in May?

Candycane10

We will be on the Discovery Princess May 4th from Vancouver.  I am prone to sea sickness.  Hoping that the seas will be calm in the inside passage.  Isn’t this usually the case.  Calmer than the Caribbean?  
Thanks in advance Crusin Candy

7 minutes ago, Candycane10 said:

We will be on the Discovery Princess May 4th from Vancouver.  I am prone to sea sickness.  Hoping that the seas will be calm in the inside passage.  Isn’t this usually the case.  Calmer than the Caribbean?  

Your first and last day are probably going to be rough. You will not sail the inside passage on the Discovery Princess. You will sail West of Vancouver Island due to the size of the ship. Expect to rock and roll. Be prepared for rough seas.

Sorry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Candycane10 said:

If you’re able to take any kind of motion sickness medicine like Bonine - which is basically a small, chewable, ‘cherry’ flavored tablet - I’ve always started taking these a full 24 hours before I even get on the airplane to fly down to the port. By the time I get on the ship it’s well into my system, and the effects of sea sickness (for me at least) are always significantly reduced. 

• Like 1

The Royal class Princess ships aren’t allowed to sail inside Vancouver Island because of propulsion and steering limitations.  They sail about 20 miles out to sea in the Pacific headed north and south.  There is usually some swell even in good conditions.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

For heaven sake. Is Princess STILL advertising those cruises as Inside Passage?

NCL advertises Glacier Bay cruises that don't go to Glacier Bay. Stranger things exist. I think all the cruise lines use the term "inside passage" loosely. None of the large ships on any lines go inside.

• 2 weeks later...

I carry Chimes ginger chews original flavor and drink ginger ale.  Have a ginger chew before I anticipate a problem. Have also freely dispensed them to fellow passengers. On a recent excursion in a mini-bus, a new acquaintance was feeling very sick.  She had a ginger chew and was feeling fine within a few minutes.  The chew package is a little hard to open, so sometimes I carry one out of its package in a baggie for easier, quick use,  Other brands are available, but these work for me.

• Like 3