Have NCL passengers gotten more rude?

Posted (edited)

I think the airlines have suffered the most post pandemic. I have no idea why people think they can act totally insane and expect to fly 30,000 feet in the air.  There are endless youtube channels of the airport meltdowns where police have to fight or arrest unruly passengers.  I flew on the second day the airports opened after 9/11.  You could not even be dropped off in front of the airport and the check in lines were a quarter mile long.  We all stood there silent. No one said a word. No one complained.  We were silently praying to ourselves that we could get to where we were going.

That did not last very long though.  Several weeks later people were fighting over their toe nail clippers.

Personally I hate to use the pandemic as an excuse for behavior changes.  But people are rude and parents don't teach manners anymore.  Talk to anyone working on schools.  The kids are out of control and the parents are even worse. I expect someday cruise lines will be like airplanes where they must increase security and have bouncers booting people off in ports every cruise. 

Who could forget this?

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MyriamS said:

I think what you consider rudeness also depends on culture. For example, at the buffet, if there are two food stations, let's say one with bread and one with pastries next to one another, a woman is serving herself some bread but no one is taking any pastry at the moment, I would definitely go and grab a pastry if I wanted one. Some might consider that rude because I "cut in front" of that woman but there's no need to create a line when none is needed. A buffet is not (to me at least, and to most Europeans including Germans with their reputation as sticklers for the rules) like a school canteen where you have to queue up and take the food in strict order. If people did so, buffets would be less chaotic but no less crowded and so slow you would eat nothing but cold food. If I were to visit a country where everyone is meant to wait in line at the buffet, I would of course adapt to the rules. That's the thing when you travel, you adapt to the local ways of life (like going extra early to the buffet if the chaos bothers you). 

7 hours ago, MyriamS said:

You might want to exclude Italians from your blanket statement about how polite Europeans are. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MyriamS said:

I think what you consider rudeness also depends on culture. For example, at the buffet, if there are two food stations, let's say one with bread and one with pastries next to one another, a woman is serving herself some bread but no one is taking any pastry at the moment, I would definitely go and grab a pastry if I wanted one. Some might consider that rude because I "cut in front" of that woman but there's no need to create a line when none is needed. A buffet is not (to me at least, and to most Europeans including Germans with their reputation as sticklers for the rules) like a school canteen where you have to queue up and take the food in strict order. If people did so, buffets would be less chaotic but no less crowded and so slow you would eat nothing but cold food. If I were to visit a country where everyone is meant to wait in line at the buffet, I would of course adapt to the rules. That's the thing when you travel, you adapt to the local ways of life (like going extra early to the buffet if the chaos bothers you). 

i am from the great lakes region of the US and spot on.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 5:46 AM, david_sobe said:

Without a doubt they are.  Miami is like an entirely different country and not part of the United States.  What tourists see is not real Miami.  We have the largest percentage of uninsured motorists.  Every day on the news is another hit and run.  People run over people and never stop.  Its every day.  I went over to introduce myself to new neighbors (how I was brought up) and they looked at me like I had 2 heads and looked like I had suspicious motives.  Many years ago people would say New Yorkers were rude.   When I went to NYC I found the people very friendly and even very flirtatious.  Miami is in a class of its own.

as someone that has been to miami, florida i do not even see it as american/western: it is the Caribbean/Latin America grafted onto the US. in but not of. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

I think the airlines have suffered the most post pandemic. I have no idea why people think they can act totally insane and expect to fly 30,000 feet in the air.  There are endless youtube channels of the airport meltdowns where police have to fight or arrest unruly passengers.  I flew on the second day the airports opened after 9/11.  You could not even be dropped off in front of the airport and the check in lines were a quarter mile long.  We all stood there silent. No one said a word. No one complained.  We were silently praying to ourselves that we could get to where we were going.

That did not last very long though.  Several weeks later people were fighting over their toe nail clippers.

Personally I hate to use the pandemic as an excuse for behavior changes.  But people are rude and parents don't teach manners anymore.  Talk to anyone working on schools.  The kids are out of control and the parents are even worse. I expect someday cruise lines will be like airplanes where they must increase security and have bouncers booting people off in ports every cruise. 

Who could forget this?

millions fly
millions cruise

hundreds brawl.

Jesus; its the combination of everyone having a high-resolution video camera in their pocket, the ability to share en masse and mass media highlighting big nothings.

people fight less now than let's say 100 years ago.

• Thanks 1

I was on the 3/24 Getaway sailing and couldn't believe the number of dirty drink glasses just left in elevators.  The elevators were always so full, so people leaving them there didn't think about other's safety...  

Also another passenger my hubby and I where chatting with in the Garden Cafe made an extremely vulgar comment out of nowhere.  It was a bit shocking.   

Perhaps Free at Sea means free for all for some.   I prefer a more structured environment.    I'll probably go with HAL or Celebrity next time.  And won't be traveling on Easter week again either!  Traveling on Easter week is always so grueling.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Aj101 said:

I was on the 3/24 Getaway sailing and couldn't believe the number of dirty drink glasses just left in elevators.  The elevators were always so full, so people leaving them there didn't think about other's safety...  

Also another passenger my hubby and I where chatting with in the Garden Cafe made an extremely vulgar comment out of nowhere.  It was a bit shocking.   

Perhaps Free at Sea means free for all for some.   I prefer a more structured environment.    I'll probably go with HAL or Celebrity next time.  And won't be traveling on Easter week again either!  Traveling on Easter week is always so grueling.

For some reason, as soon as people step foot on to a cruise ship, many seem to turn into lord and lady of the manor and every crew member on board has become their servant.  People treat the buffet like a sit down restaurant.  I think it is more like a counter service / fast food restaurant.  At McDonald's or Chipotle, you get your food, you find an empty table, you sit down.  You eat.  When you are done eating, the natural thing to do is to take your trash and baskets and utensils to the garbage can, where there is also a bin to collect items that aren't disposable like plates and baskets and utensils.

Why doesn't this get done by more people at the buffet?  The buffet staff does go around and collect empty plates from guests.  But if I was ever done and there were no staff around, I would take my dirty plates and cup and utensils to the cleaning station.  Hardly anyone seems to do this.

In addition to cups in the elevator, how about the cups and plates in the hallways?  Some people don't even place them right outside their door, they push them out a little so half of the plate is in the pathway.  Is it so people can trip over them?  I never left plates or cups in the hall, I would always leave on the balcony.  In an inside room, I just left on the desk.

People seem to love to leave cups and plates all over the place.  I don't know why people seem to like to leave bowls of melting ice cream at the top of the stairs.  Or cups in the elevator.  One time I saw two teens walking towards the stairs.  There was a crew member in the area who was cleaning.  One kid actually took his drink glass and set it down against the wall and then kicked it over in front of the crew member.  The friend actually said something.  He picked up all the ice by hand and put it back into the glass and apologized to the crew member, saying "I don't know why he would do something like that, sorry".  That kid has good parents.

25 minutes ago, blackwing said:

“One kid actually took his drink glass and set it down against the wall and then kicked it over in front of the crew member.”

Wow, I’d hope a crew member would have options witnessing this type of behavior, yikes!

The things I see every cruise in the Buffet amazes me. There is never a lack of rudeness, entertainment, or discussing behavior. 

As for some cruises being full of rude folks more than others I can see this in a way where I live in Florida. You have folks from all over the country cramming in the state with different behaviors you are not used too. Loud rude folks, arrogant folks, the aggressive way they drive there cars.

My favorite is when one of these folks will say this is horrible where I am from its much better. I always smile and say I think you should move back it will not get any better here.

I love the folks in the dentist or dr office who pull out there out of state expired ID from there Louie Vuitton bag wearing there Lou Lou Lemon outfit and explain why they don't have the $50 co pay in cash or credit card.

so many examples every day.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, blackwing said:

At McDonald's or Chipotle, you get your food, you find an empty table, you sit down.  You eat.  When you are done eating, the natural thing to do is to take your trash and baskets and utensils to the garbage can, where there is also a bin to collect items that aren't disposable like plates and baskets and utensils.

Why doesn't this get done by more people at the buffet? 

It's because that is not how the buffet is designed.  Do you also find a cleaning rag to clean off your table before some unsuspecting person occupies it and enjoys your "germs?"

The buffet staff does go around and collect empty plates from guests. 

Yes, that's because it is their job.

But if I was ever done and there were no staff around, I would take my dirty plates and cup and utensils to the cleaning station.  Hardly anyone seems to do this.

Where is this "cleaning station" that you're talking about?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, detroitlions said:

I love the folks in the dentist or dr office who pull out there out of state expired ID from there Louie Vuitton bag wearing there Lou Lou Lemon outfit and explain why they don't have the $50 co pay in cash or credit card.

I've never been asked for my government issued ID at my dentist or doctor.  Have you?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

Alabama as well.

I guess it's a good thing I don't live in one of those states.  I would have to update my "out of state expired ID" before they would fix my broken leg.

My 90 year old relative has only an expired DL, yet she has gotten medical and dental care recently without incident.  Is she just one of the lucky ones?

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Alabama as well.

You have to have a picture ID which they photo copy they want to know where you live and who you are so they can bill you. A lot of folks like to scam and not pay there bill. Folks even get mad when they want to see ID to vote remember 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Must be a Florida thing.

It's a "provider can be burned" thing.

If your dentist takes the money in cash or debit, then said dentist retains control. If I were a dentist, I wouldn't care if your name is Donald Duck.

However, if your identity is stolen and somebody tries to push through a charge against your insurance... Yeah, I'd fight that.

If I'm not mistaken, Carnival had an issue with people trying to cover their cruise folio with stolen credit cards.

Edited by Mike07

1 minute ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

It isn’t. Never been asked for my ID at a dentist/doctor in my 31 years of living in Florida.

You must just have an honest (pays his bills) looking face!

• Like 1

And of course if you been going to the same place for years they don’t ask. One thing that makes folks mad is when they take there palm print. I just say no but folks go off. You also can use your pass port as ID

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Where is this "cleaning station" that you're talking about?

It's the place where the workers bring all the dirty plates, etc.  Looks like a cubicle with wooden walls.  There's several throughout the buffet.  On Getaway, one of them is very close to where that automatic wine dispenser (that no longer gets used because of FAS I presume) is.

4 minutes ago, blackwing said:

It's the place where the workers bring all the dirty plates, etc.  Looks like a cubicle with wooden walls.  There's several throughout the buffet.  On Getaway, one of them is very close to where that automatic wine dispenser (that no longer gets used because of FAS I presume) is.

Isn't that intended for crew use?  Are you sure they want you doing stuff there?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Isn't that intended for crew use?  Are you sure they want you doing stuff there?

If no one was there, I placed my dirty plates and cup in the bin with the other dirty dishes.  When someone was there, they either took the items from me or I just put them in the bin myself.  The crew said thank you, every time.  I saw a few others bussing their own table as well, and the crew looked appreciative.

Just now, blackwing said:

If no one was there, I placed my dirty plates and cup in the bin with the other dirty dishes.  When someone was there, they either took the items from me or I just put them in the bin myself.  The crew said thank you, every time.  I saw a few others bussing their own table as well, and the crew looked appreciative.

This is bizzare.  I've never seen anybody clean off their own table in the buffet.  There are crew assigned to do this and they do a great and prompt job.  Why do you think it is rude not to let them do their job?  Might be insulting.  Why are you comparing a cruise ship to McDonalds anyways?

• Like 4