Stateroom curtains on Koningsdam

Hello all,

Completely new to HAL, never been to Alaska, and booked a 2025 July sailing round trip Vancouver to Alaska on Koningsdam. Our sailing is July 19. I understand the daylight is long that time of year. We have a verandah stateroom. So my question is... do the staterooms have black out curtains that will block out the light while we are sleeping? While I'm at it with questions... any other advice or tips anyone wants to share regarding HAL or Alaska in July? 

Cheers

Tammy

7 minutes ago, SSFrance69 said:

Hello all,

Completely new to HAL, never been to Alaska, and booked a 2025 July sailing round trip Vancouver to Alaska on Koningsdam. Our sailing is July 19. I understand the daylight is long that time of year. We have a verandah stateroom. So my question is... do the staterooms have black out curtains that will block out the light while we are sleeping? While I'm at it with questions... any other advice or tips anyone wants to share regarding HAL or Alaska in July? 

Cheers

Tammy

We just returned from the South Pacific cruise  on the Koningsdam and the curtains are definitely blackout ones!   

We loved the Dutch Cafe on the ship-great lattes & food is included.  

Wr haven’t been to Alaska in several years so no comment but I’m sure lots will pipe in.  

Enjoy the ship & Alaska! 

• Like 2

Welcome to HAL!

The curtains have all been blackout curtains on the ships we've been on to AK, but do be sure they're pulled tight so you don't have the little gap of light between them.

The views are so amazing in AK we rarely close the drapes.

Safe travels- enjoy your cruise! And do visit Grand Dutch Cafe as @canadianbear mentioned  - great coffee (extra) and wonderful food (included). It makes for a great lunch option.20240203_020303.thumb.jpg.0bd718935de1f9a4712235539b137317.jpg

• Like 2

Great tips, all! Thank you! I'm really looking forward to the Dutch Cafe. My grandmother was from NL and my favorite thing there to eat was the Krokette. I'll be sure to have some. I also love Dutch split pea soup. I have the recipe that my Dad got from HAL many years ago. It's a little different from their recipe I found online... but so delish. I make it at home all the time during the winter months.

Will there still be snow capped mountains in July? We got an aft veranda, so I'm hoping for nice views and will be able to see out aft, plus I should be able to see pretty well both port and starboard from there. I started to second guess myself if I should have chosen a veranda on the bow, but I decided on aft, because I love a wake view and I figured the cold wind would be less intense there. 

Cheers,
Tammy

We kept curtains partially open and loved the views under the different phases of the night sky if we’d wake during the night .  It was dark when we closed our eyes. 😉

• Like 1