Dining question

jgris90

We are sailing on sun princess in June ! 

our ta booked us 5pm seating and I feel it’s too early for Europe . 

if we miss the dinner can we go to the anytime main dining room ? 

Back in the day when most Princess ships maintained one MDR for "Traditional Dining" and the guests who dined there did so by requesting that style of dining and were assigned a specific table at a specific time, it was frowned upon for those guests to then use the other MDRs if they missed their assigned seating, as the allocation of space was such that the extra people moving from the Traditional Dining Room to the Anytime Dining Rooms upset the balance, since the Anytime diners could not correspondingly move from their dining room to the Traditional Dining room.  In other words, if everyone with a 5:00 seating skipped that seating and showed up at the Anytime MDRs at 7:00, it would throw the whole dinner service out of whack.  This is not to say that it was never done, but it was considered bad form.   I don't know if Deck 6 of the MDR is being handled the same way.  I would say that if you are assigned a table on 6 and can't make that dinner, then going to the American Diner on 8 would not be a problem.  But trying to squeeze into the Deck 7 MDR when there are already lines of people, and joining that line would just make it longer would probably be viewed in the same light as the old Traditional vs. Anytime situation was viewed.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, jgris90 said:

I would either get the reservation changed to a later time. Otherwise just cancel it and show up later. Times after 7:30 are not as crowded

1 hour ago, jgris90 said:

Simple answer: Yes.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I looked at your post history and see MSC and RCI, but not Princess. If you are new to the Princess, you may not know this, but you can go onto the app and change your dining time, or better still have your TA change it to your preference.

Reason being, you can anytime dine by showing up, but you may wait in line. With a reservation, you go straight in.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jgris90 said:

Have you tried changing to a time that suits you?

Don't bother booking, just go to one of the MDRs when you want to dine. You might have a short wait, especially if it's fairly early, but you'll soon work out the ideal time to join whatever queue there is