Rita’s Cantina on Jewel

I am just off the Jewel, and noticed that Rita’s has been completely removed and replaced with Windjammer seating.  I’m thinking this is recent, because I just did a search here and didn’t see any posts about this.

IMHO, this is probably better.  Rita’s seemed like a half finished concept.  I’ve been on all of the Radiance Class (except the Radiance itself) over the last two years.  Rita’s was rarely open, and just sat dark.  I think the idea could have been interesting had it been fully executed.  Anyway, figured I’d post in case anyone is interested.

• Thanks 1

Rita's has been removed from all of the Radiance class ships and is just Windjammer seating. On Serenade, the bar remained last time we were onboard. But I have read recently on the World Cruise posts that it has been replaced by a smoothie bar. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Coralc said:

Rita's has been removed from all of the Radiance class ships and is just Windjammer seating. On Serenade, the bar remained last time we were onboard. But I have read recently on the World Cruise posts that it has been replaced by a smoothie bar. 

Okay, this must have happened recently.  Because this was the first time I saw Rita’s actually removed.  Perhaps I was catching sailings just before the changes.

We sailed Jewel in February 2018 and returned to her in February 2024. Rita’sCantina must not have been on there for long, because it wasn’t there in 2018 and it wasn’t there in February.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Miss Vickie said:

We sailed Jewel in February 2018 and returned to her in February 2024. Rita’sCantina must not have been on there for long, because it wasn’t there in 2018 and it wasn’t there in February.

Rita’s wasn’t originally on Radiance class ships.  I’m not sure when they were added.  It was (is still on Brilliance) just outside the Windjammer on the port side.  Location of Rita’s is / was problematic, because access is more difficult when the Windjammer is closed.  Actually, I’m not certain you even can get there when the Windjammer is closed.  I believe there is access adjacent to the sports court and water slide to Izumi.  Then, one could use the stairs next to Izumi to go back to deck 10 to the outside aft Windjammer seating and thus access to Rita’s. You'd have to really want to get there.

As others have said, the loss isn’t important.  I’m not sure if Royal really even thought out what they wanted Rita’s to be.  It always felt like a half thought out concept, and just tacked on like a Lego block.  If it was meant to be a Mexican themed bar, shouldn’t it have had chips and salsa?  Who knows, maybe it did?  I’d never know because I never saw a Rita’s open!  Ultimately, the space is better used for seating - though a bar in this spot is a good idea.

56 minutes ago, captainannoyed! said:

Rita’s wasn’t originally on Radiance class ships.  I’m not sure when they were added.  It was (is still on Brilliance) just outside the Windjammer on the port side.  Location of Rita’s is / was problematic, because access is more difficult when the Windjammer is closed.  Actually, I’m not certain you even can get there when the Windjammer is closed.  I believe there is access adjacent to the sports court and water slide to Izumi.  Then, one could use the stairs next to Izumi to go back to deck 10 to the outside aft Windjammer seating and thus access to Rita’s. You'd have to really want to get there.

As others have said, the loss isn’t important.  I’m not sure if Royal really even thought out what they wanted Rita’s to be.  It always felt like a half thought out concept, and just tacked on like a Lego block.  If it was meant to be a Mexican themed bar, shouldn’t it have had chips and salsa?  Who knows, maybe it did?  I’d never know because I never saw a Rita’s open!  Ultimately, the space is better used for seating - though a bar in this spot is a good idea.

We srarted sailing Radiance class ships in 2002, and this past February was our 18th Radiance class sailing, all out of San Juan. It’s our favorite class of Royal ships. We stilll miss the Seaview cafe, although we did enjoy Izumi this time. It was better than I remember it being in 2018. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Miss Vickie said:

We srarted sailing Radiance class ships in 2002, and this past February was our 18th Radiance class sailing, all out of San Juan. It’s our favorite class of Royal ships. We stilll miss the Seaview cafe, although we did enjoy Izumi this time. It was better than I remember it being in 2018. 

I am also a big fan of the Radiance class.  Yes, Seaview Cafe was one of the ‘hidden jems’ of the original deck plans.  I still miss that, especially because Izumi doesn’t appeal to me.  Perfect size ship for me, everything I want and none of the things I don’t.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, trenton107 said:

It's still on Brilliance - at least as of the middle of March 2024.

It’s still there but only as a bar.  No food.  Rarely used and not open a lot.

While we like Izumi we don’t like the location on Brilliance.  Good views but hard to get to and you must go outside in wind, rain etc to get to it,  There is a back way through crew areas to get out in case of wet weather but not get in. Not a deal breaker, just not convenient.

• Thanks 1

Too bad.  On our 2013 Hawaii cruise it was one of our tables couple's anniversary so we all went that night to Rita's. As we're from Texas we frequently approach unfamiliar Mexican with skepticism but it was a pleasant surprise.  Was also introduced to a twist on the usual procedure and went salt, tequila shot and an orange slice - and it worked a lot better - but on top of everything else from the Concierge Lounge I knew that 3rd shot had to be my last.  

I will miss Rita's - good times.