Unable to make MDR Reservations

Last year at some point they stopped letting you book MDR except for 5:30 or 8:30.  Once those were filled it gave you the message you are getting.  This year, I think they may have stopped MDR advance reservations until onboard.

• Like 3

I've been on some cruises within the last year where reservations had a separate line and priority seating, and some where it made no difference. If i cant book before, I ask on first day if i can make reservations for rest of cruise.

7 minutes ago, herbanrenewal said:

I've been on some cruises within the last year where reservations had a separate line and priority seating, and some where it made no difference. If i cant book before, I ask on first day if i can make reservations for rest of cruise.

Hmmmmm...I don't think I've ever seen two lines at NCL MDR kiosk to seat you.  You just walk up and give them your key card and they seat you.

Royal has had two lines in the past...those with and those without reservations. 

But, NCL is FreeStyle where reservations aren't needed.

• Like 1

Hasn't let me book MDR reservations for my May sailing, thought it would be available when specialty dining became available.

Last year had issues booking MDR also in that it only let me book 2 nights then would freeze. Ended up booking all nights thru the app. Tried that also and just got the response to book once onboard.

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Hmmmmm...I don't think I've ever seen two lines at NCL MDR kiosk to seat you.  You just walk up and give them your key card and they seat you.

Royal has had two lines in the past...those with and those without reservations. 

But, NCL is FreeStyle where reservations aren't needed.

it was either Breakaway or Dawn. I know it wasnt Viva or Prima.It was an older ship with dining on two decks. If you had a reservation you went downstairs to lower deck. Reservations definitely not needed but availble.

We were off Getaway last Sunday.  I got a few MDR reservations in advance, others I made as soon as we boarded.  It definitely made a difference.  With a reservation, we were seated right away.  Without a reservation, we were given a pager and had to wait about 20 - 30 minutes.

There were two host desks at each dining room.  One was to line up and get a pager.  The other was if you had a reservation or if your pager buzzed.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, blackwing said:

We were off Getaway last Sunday.  I got a few MDR reservations in advance, others I made as soon as we boarded.  It definitely made a difference.  With a reservation, we were seated right away.  Without a reservation, we were given a pager and had to wait about 20 - 30 minutes.

There were two host desks at each dining room.  One was to line up and get a pager.  The other was if you had a reservation or if your pager buzzed.

Same experience on the Joy around a week ago. They stopped MDR reservations early on the cruise and after that it was a madhouse unless you went to dine at 5:30 or 9. We had 4 speciality dinners and 3 MRD dinners (without reservation). Once we waited 40 minutes to be seated, the second time 60 minutes. The third time we went already at 5:30 and got seated immediately but the lines were long even then. It was so bad that we even got a pager twice for MDR breakfast and Garden cafe was completely full too unless you went just when it opened or closed. Suffice to say we realized very quickly that we like Jewel class ships (with 10+ days cruises) the most. We are not fans of the mega ships. 

Posted (edited)

About reservations at the MDR done before the cruise:

We have a cruise booked for beginning of August 2024 (120 days from today), and I can absolutely prebook a table at the MDR already  - BUT only for a group of 6 persons or a group of 8 persons, and ONLY two times to choose from: 5.30 PM or 8.30 PM. So definitely outside of the "peak hours". 

My experience is that it is no problem to prebook a table for a certain time in the MDR when being on the ship - and if you prefer to have your dinner at the most popular times in the evening, then I absolutely advice you to prebook a table (usually no problem to do that in the afternoon for the dinner the same evening). If not - be prepared to stand in line, then get the "beeper" and wait 15-30 minutes for your table....

Edit: Forgot to say that on the explore and plan-ist of dining options the MDR is listed with a note of "Not available to book" - when I "click" on it to try to book it anyway, then I get the option of groups of 6 or 8 persons and can choose the times 05.30 PM or 08.30 PM....

Edited by TrumpyNor
Adding information.