Special lots for certain ships at Port Everglades

Just back from a cruise at Port Everglades a few weeks ago.

One person that was in our party of 4 is a handicapped amputee, so I was trying to get the closest possible parking.

That said I attempted to park in the surface lot close to terminal 19 as that was where the ship would be docked upon returning to Port Everglades after our cruise.

Upon trying to enter the lot , there was a person at the entrance informing me that that lot was only for those cruising on the Liberty of The Seas.

He also told me the lot would be locked upon the return of our ship , he was speaking the truth.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this ? 

It's very plausible.

If a lot is used only for one ship then there are a limited number of hours that need to be staffed for that lot, depending on ships' schedules. In your specific case from what you posted, you expect your ship to be at Terminal 19 on return. That means that the ship that was at 19 isn't there at your return. So. if the port staff limited initial access to the lot to cars associated with that ship, they could lock the lot gates for the duration of the cruise, which means no staffing costs and increased security via no access to the lot.

Some of the decision-making is also based on the total number of cars expected in the port. They could reopen the gates if spaces were available but other lots/garages were full.

Port Everglades' terminals can be and are occasionally reassigned at the last minute. 

• Thanks 1

The entry  ( take ticket )  and exit ( payment) booths are fully automated.

With that said any staffing would be minor if even existent.

Just trying to accommodate someone whose mobility is limited.

10 hours ago, horseymike said:

The entry  ( take ticket )  and exit ( payment) booths are fully automated.

With that said any staffing would be minor if even existent.

Just trying to accommodate someone whose mobility is limited.

While it may take more time, can you drop off the person with limited mobility and the rest of your party at the entrance to your embarkation terminal and then upon return go pick up the car and return to the disembarkation terminal where they will be waiting for you?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, capriccio said:

While it may take more time, can you drop off the person with limited mobility and the rest of your party at the entrance to your embarkation terminal and then upon return go pick up the car and return to the disembarkation terminal where they will be waiting for you?

I did think about that , but as you mentioned it definitely takes more time.

Disembarkation is usually nothing short of a mad house with regard to traffic and congestion around the returning terminal.

I actually did drop them off prior to the cruise , parked and caught up with them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2024 at 10:08 AM, horseymike said:

Just back from a cruise at Port Everglades a few weeks ago.

One person that was in our party of 4 is a handicapped amputee, so I was trying to get the closest possible parking.

That said I attempted to park in the surface lot close to terminal 19 as that was where the ship would be docked upon returning to Port Everglades after our cruise.

Upon trying to enter the lot , there was a person at the entrance informing me that that lot was only for those cruising on the Liberty of The Seas.

He also told me the lot would be locked upon the return of our ship , he was speaking the truth.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this ? 

yes, speaking the truth. yes, they do lock up with gates.  Ships are assigned certain parking areas 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Ships are assigned certain parking areas 

Unless they are very crowded ... then it becomes a free for all ..... my last PE parking experience convinced me 1) avoid this as our port and 2) if we MUST .. don't plan to park there ....

We did a Thanksgiving cruise a couple of years ago and I had to park to heck and back and there were no shuttles. Asking attendants where to park when they closed the 'assigned lot' cuz it was full resulted in a shrug and a general arm wave down the road . . At the furthest away garage I was then directed to park under a sign reading no parking tow away zone ..... My car WAS still there when we got back . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ