QM2 Britannia Club - table for 2?

mike x ftc

4 minutes ago, mike x ftc said:

Does anyone know if you are guaranteed a table for 2 if you book club dining on QM2?  If not - what's the benefit of doing it?

Probably not absolutely guaranteed, but you’ll get a table for 2. Fear not.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mike x ftc said:

what's the benefit of doing it?

The main benefit is the club’s a la carte menu (in addition to the regular menu) and more intimate dining environment, with the same reserved table available whenever you want it.

• Like 1

Also Club has priority boarding, and balconies higher up.

But Club has a lot of tables for 2, as has main Britannia itself, so if you want a table for 2 you will get that. I guess it's not a total guarantee but I can't realistically see you failing to get a table for 2. When you board and get to your stateroom you should find a card with your dining arrangements. If you are not happy with it, just go to the front desk and get something you prefer, either during the afternoon before the emergency drill broadcast, or at the time of your first meal.

• Like 1

I would be shocked if you did not get a table for two in Britannia Club on QM2. There is no shortage.

The only issue you might have is the distance from the next table. We had a table for two, third table from a window. We loved it. We could see clearly out of the window and could also see what was happening in most parts of the port side restaurant and parts of the main Britannia restaurant. We were well positioned to flag down the sommelier, waiter or maitre'd.

However there was about one foot space between each of those three tables. Our table neighbours would arrive at different times to us and we would engage in conversation as suited each couple almost as if we were all on the same table, but without any expectation that we would all dine together. The conversation was completely detached from the timing of the meal, much as it would be if you struck up a conversation with a neighbouring table in a restaurant.

There were also some that were not as closely positioned to others.

12 hours ago, D&N said:

I would be shocked if you did not get a table for two in Britannia Club on QM2. There is no shortage.

The only issue you might have is the distance from the next table. We had a table for two, third table from a window. We loved it. We could see clearly out of the window and could also see what was happening in most parts of the port side restaurant and parts of the main Britannia restaurant. We were well positioned to flag down the sommelier, waiter or maitre'd.

However there was about one foot space between each of those three tables. Our table neighbours would arrive at different times to us and we would engage in conversation as suited each couple almost as if we were all on the same table, but without any expectation that we would all dine together. The conversation was completely detached from the timing of the meal, much as it would be if you struck up a conversation with a neighbouring table in a restaurant.

There were also some that were not as closely positioned to others.

I have never found the close spacing of the tables to be a problem - and it is sometimes extremely close in the QG. But, because you are on separate tables, there is no pressure to make conversation beyond ‘Good Evening’ as there would be on a shared table, yet if you want to talk a bit, it is near enough to do so. I can see it could be difficult if one were next to a very opinionated person with a very loud voice, but I feel that rarely happens on Cunard. 😀

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mike x ftc said:

Thanks very much for your replies - Britannia Club it is then!!

I don't think you will regret it.  As  a solo traveller I often than not will opt for Club Dining (requesting a table for two- for solo occupancy) 

The Club Dining concept suits me well, mainly for the 'open evening dining concept' and the dedicated table and wait staff . As an avid dancer the Queens room is certainly an attraction for me in the evenings, so I prefer to be able to come and go as I please, having saying that, I do enjoy a little interaction with the guests on those tables for two adjacent to me.

I've said this so many times on this board - The Club dining concept is a 'Half Way' house to the Grills. 👍        

• Like 3

@Bell Boy

I like your description of Club dining. Although my wife and I enjoyed our late-seating dinners in the Britannia on the QM2 and QE, we opted for Club on our forthcoming QA cruise (Northern Europe and Scandinavia, June 30-July 14). Aside from the other Club benefits, we like the location of the Club dining room on QA---very close to the Chart Room---and what seems to be a bright, airy look to the room.

Jim

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

@Bell Boy

I like your description of Club dining. Although my wife and I enjoyed our late-seating dinners in the Britannia on the QM2 and QE, we opted for Club on our forthcoming QA cruise (Northern Europe and Scandinavia, June 30-July 14). Aside from the other Club benefits, we like the location of the Club dining room on QA---very close to the Chart Room---and what seems to be a bright, airy look to the room.

Jim

You certainly won't regret it, I've book Club dining again for the upcoming Queen Anne Maiden voyage ( May 3rd) so not long now.

Hopefully I will post again with some positive comments. 

• Like 2

On 4/7/2024 at 7:14 PM, exlondoner said:

Probably not absolutely guaranteed, but you’ll get a table for 2. Fear not.

If it's anything like QM2 QG the table for two is going to be about 40cm from the next table - just enough room to squeeze between

We got on very well with the couples on either side, so in some ways it was actually a good arrangement; you can chat if you want to but aren't forced to...

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 9:42 AM, exlondoner said:

I have never found the close spacing of the tables to be a problem - and it is sometimes extremely close in the QG. But, because you are on separate tables, there is no pressure to make conversation beyond ‘Good Evening’ as there would be on a shared table, yet if you want to talk a bit, it is near enough to do so. I can see it could be difficult if one were next to a very opinionated person with a very loud voice, but I feel that rarely happens on Cunard. 😀

Exactly what we found in QM2 QG; got on well especially with the Swiss, restaurant owning, Springsteen fans on the next table.  Who, the evening of arrival in NY, we somehow managed to run in to in Katz Diner (the one of When Harry Met Sally fame); what are the chances of that...?

Seeing as BC is being discussed here... I get that the dining is a superior experience and half way to grills, but are the cabins half way to grills?  They are the same size as standard balcony whereas even QV/QE/QA the PG cabins are stretched versions of standard cabins (QM2 is better where they are exactly 1.5x wider instead of longer)

What do you get in the BC cabins that you don't get in standard balcony?

I've been put off the half way to PG prices which seems mostly for the half way to PG dining; the cabins (and other grills benefits) aren't half way to PG from what I understand?

10 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

If it's anything like QM2 QG the table for two is going to be about 40cm from the next table - just enough room to squeeze between

We got on very well with the couples on either side, so in some ways it was actually a good arrangement; you can chat if you want to but aren't forced to...

I think they must have a special test for waiters, counterpart to the tender test. Instead of stepping across an 18” gap, they have to show they can squeeze between two tables 10” apart.

• Like 1

Just now, exlondoner said:

I think they must have a special test for waiters, counterpart to the tender test. Instead of stepping across an 18” gap, they have to show they can squeeze between two tables 10” apart.

Helps that the waiters are mostly from the Philippines... I'd struggle...

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

I don't think you will regret it.  As  a solo traveller I often than not will opt for Club Dining (requesting a table for two- for solo occupancy) 

The Club Dining concept suits me well, mainly for the 'open evening dining concept' and the dedicated table and wait staff . As an avid dancer the Queens room is certainly an attraction for me in the evenings, so I prefer to be able to come and go as I please, having saying that, I do enjoy a little interaction with the guests on those tables for two adjacent to me.

I've said this so many times on this board - The Club dining concept is a 'Half Way' house to the Grills. 👍        

I very much second this comment.  For me, the best benefit was the same wait staff for every meal, who after my first meal accommodated my eccentricity of lots of ice in my water.  The wait staff is more experienced in the Club and since they have fewer tables and the same guests, they provide an overall better dining experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

On QM2; A pod coffee machine that we don't use. Still or sparkling 1 litre bottles of water replaced as required (limited use as we wouldn't carry them to a restaurant). A full rather than half bottle of PA. We find the cabin size more than adequate for two weeks transatlantic.

The fixed table in the BC restaurant for all meals (other than lunch in New York) is the main difference.

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

they have to show they can squeeze between two tables 10” apart.

Ours were 11.811" apart (30cm). Waiters never attempted to squeeze between, they always walked around our table to get to the other tables.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Pillow menu? Priority embarkation/disembarkation?

As long as Nora isn't given feathers, we're fine.

Priority check in made a slight difference, but you are at the foot of the priority ladder for embarkation so it's not much earlier than Britannia.

27 minutes ago, D&N said:

As long as Nora isn't given feathers, we're fine.

Priority check in made a slight difference, but you are at the foot of the priority ladder for embarkation so it's not much earlier than Britannia.

Aren’t you before WC members? 

I always change to goose down.

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Aren’t you before WC members? 

I always change to goose down.

No. When the queue split for check in we had as much priority as anyone else, which meant we only waited a minute or so for an agent.

But they sent grills and the various loyalty levels to security scan before us. We had stood for a few minutes then occupied seats vacated by the first boarders and made a point of telling the lady that was directing folk our status.

Nora's hay feverish symptoms have been much better with her healthy weight but we still wouldn't risk having her face that close to feathers for eight hours.

On 4/7/2024 at 7:10 PM, mike x ftc said:

Does anyone know if you are guaranteed a table for 2 if you book club dining on QM2?  If not - what's the benefit of doing it?

Good afternoon close Neighbour @mike x ftc .

I've travelled Britannia Club on the Queen Mary 2 on a number of occasions and just thought that as no one has yet provided o photograph I'd jump in with one or two.

As already mentioned there are a number of tables for just two guests Sharing...

BritanniaClub1.thumb.jpg.a22fb1c085257ea1c1ec0261a2df71e0.jpg

...but I would guess the staff, being so obliging, would indeed find something for you  even if no-one else wanted to sit with you 😄...

BlueNight.thumb.jpg.4e25fcb1a6bb4c401e2c7e29095f651a.jpg

...and of course, there is the table-side service theatre to look forward to....

TableFlambeservice.thumb.jpg.5ccb0c264aa0e56620248e40ca5ea9ff.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Seeing as BC is being discussed here... I get that the dining is a superior experience and half way to grills, but are the cabins half way to grills?  They are the same size as standard balcony whereas even QV/QE/QA the PG cabins are stretched versions of standard cabins (QM2 is better where they are exactly 1.5x wider instead of longer)

I've been put off the half way to PG prices which seems mostly for the half way to PG dining; the cabins (and other grills benefits) aren't half way to PG from what I understand?

My comment to 'Half way' is sort of tongue- in- cheek.  Ok,  may- be a quarter of a way up to the Grills.

As a solo cruiser who after retirement finds him self able to take several Cunard cruises, almost four or five times a year, the concept of the 'Club Brand' suits me very well. For example the evening  dining experience.  

As a solo traveller, a standard balcony stateroom  is all I really need, however, Club offers a few additional amenities for example,  Coffee machine (admit I never use it ) Complimentary bottled Water replenished daily, High quality Bath Robe, Priority Embarkation  (announced after Grills)

I do from time to time keep my hand in with an 'occasional Grills booking', I'll be treating my self to a  Grills birthday gift in May . 😉

• Like 4