Did Explora Residenses Miss the Boat

CJANDH

It seems to me that Explora may have missed out on attracting the high end of luxury cruisers with their selection and design of Ocean Residence suites. I am talking about those cruisers who are currently booking the large suites (over 600 sf. excluding balcony) on Regent and Silversea. Regent has 20 large suites for a 744 pax ship. Silversea has 10 over 800 sf. for a 596 pax ship, plus 34 Silver Suites that are almost 600 sf.

Of Explora’s 23 Residences, only three are truly big suites. The huge Owners suite is 1668 sf. and the two Cocoon suites measure 797 sf. The rest range from 603 sf. To 678 sf. Additionally, only the Owners and Cocoon suites have 1.5 bathrooms. The rest have one small bathroom. Finally, the most expensive Residences are located at the aft of the ship overlooking the rear pool deck. This is a noisy location when children are playing in the pool and also prone to noise from the thrusters when the ship is in tender mode at a port.

Comparing pricing across the brands, not including air and hotels, for a 14-day Caribbean cruise, Explora doesn’t appear to be good value for those wishing to spend more for more cruise space (perhaps the most profitable customers).

Explora

Regent

Silversea

Cove (10)

603 sf

$19K

Seven Seas (4)

577 sf

$18K

Silver (34)

590 sf

$14K

Serenity (4)

646 sf

$22K

Grandeur(12)

655 sf

$19K

Royal (2)

800 sf

$20K

Retreat (6)

678 sf

$20K

Grand (4)

800 sf

$21K

Grand (4)

880 sf

$23K

Cocoon (2)

797 sf

$23K

Master (4)

1100 sf

$24K

Owners (4)

800 sf

$29K

We have stayed in a Cocoon Residence. It is a beautiful suite with a huge deck provisioned with a hot tub and lots of comfortable seating. However, on a Caribbean cruise with lots of tender ports and kids in the pool below the deck, it wasn’t for us.

I will be interested to hear comments from other Residence guests.

Hi Chris - I'm sure we'd all be piling in with replies if only you'd not limited your interest to replies from Residence guests. There are not too many of those. Most of us are in the 'cheap seats'!

Adrian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Noggins said:

Hi Chris - I'm sure we'd all be piling in with replies if only you'd not limited your interest to replies from Residence guests. There are not too many of those. Most of us are in the 'cheap seats'!

Adrian

Your thoughts are welcome anyway.

Just now, CJANDH said:

Most of us are in the 'cheap seats'!

And that might be another area that distinguishes EV from the competition. Perhaps they are going after a passenger who is looking for a better experience from the "cheap seats" than they can get with RSS or SS. I am just suggesting that their high end is not competitive.

11 hours ago, CJANDH said:

Your thoughts are welcome anyway.

Ah - now I need to come up with something sensible to say.....

Here's my very best effort:

Chris, your table certainly makes for interesting reading. I would not have expected Regent to appear to be such good value (relatively). It opens up a huge number of points for debate!

~ most importantly this is Explora's maiden season and if ever there is a time to play with your pricing models it is now. They will surely have studied the comeptition's prices and persuaded themselves there are multiple reasons why their prices should be higher / lower. I am pretty sure that pricing will 'evolve' over the next few years. Demand will be key.

~ the Caribbean tends to be the cheapest place to cruise. Do cruise lines cross subsidise cruises in different parts of the world? Do they go to the Caribbean because they have to, to satisfy demand and accept that prices have to be moderated - or is it a myth and lower prices are compensated by higher passenger numbers (on average) and hence higher profits.

~ I feel Explora is much more a warm weather ship than it is a worldwide (cold weather included) cruise ship. So many of the appealing aspects of the design relate to being outside. It remains to be seen how the 6 ships are deployed but it could be another reason for pricing to evolve. 

~ I have never understood the relationship between prices of one category room vs another. I think it is generally assumed the larger the room, the larger the margin - and certainly the larger rooms seem to sell out quickly (but is this true of Explora this year? why so many TA's etc in the larger rooms?). The fact that Explora has a LOT of standard rooms suggests to me that it is that market that is the key to success or failure of the operation. Inevitably the larger rooms get more than their share of the limelight and I don't suppose the cheap seats got much of a metion when Rolex were being enticed on board! And who pays who for them to be onboard??

Then there is the ship design apropos the larger rooms.

Chris, I remember you saying throughout your cruise how disppointed you were with the room location. Invariably the large rooms are (mostly) at the back of ships with sometimes a few at the front. Everyone knows that midships is the best place to be if the ocean is in motion and the very worst place is at either end. And yet these large rooms sell, even for ocean crossings. (I know because we had a corner owners suite for a crossing once. Yes, just the once)  

The majority of Explora's competitors do not have public space at the back of the ship. The big rooms get to enjoy the best views undisturbed by pools, open deck space, bars etc. That Explora have designed a ship that combines the two has appeal but not if, like Chris, you are disturbed by the noise. (I would definitely be disturbed!) Perhaps the issue is going to be compounded come fuller ships and short cruises given the strong focus on encouraging children on board. With a first grandchild due any day I've got to be careful what I say but children on a luxury cruise ship? I'm not so sure.... (especially when, as we saw, parents put their children on separate tables in the restaurants so they are undisturbed by them - never mind the rest of us!! Not the way we parented our children. Harummph!)

If ever there was a case of 'do your homework' it is when you are considering spending a lot of money on a cruise. (If anyone is interested to know my hourly rate for private consultations then do let me know)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Noggins said:

your table certainly makes for interesting reading. I would not have expected Regent to appear to be such good value (relatively). It opens up a huge number of points for debate!

The Regent comparison is actually understated a bit as Regent includes shore excursions and unlimited laundry for every stateroom. I took out the airfare and hotel costs, but could not price the value of the included perks.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. There are indeed many things to consider as you compare cruises. But at the end of the day, whatever your choice among these excellent brands, you will have a great cruise.

Chris.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Noggins said:

as we saw, parents put their children on separate tables in the restaurants so they are undisturbed by them - never mind the rest of us!!

Actually this was a very traditional way to cruise in the 1960's. Children's tables were set in a room off of the main dining room. 

My sister and I were initially assigned to the children's dining room during a TA crossing on Italian Line (SS Cristoforo Columbo). My father came got us, and from then on we sat with our parents.   

Edited by Boatdrill

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Noggins said:

Do they go to the Caribbean because they have to, to satisfy demand and accept that prices have to be moderated - or is it a myth and lower prices are compensated by higher passenger numbers (on average) and hence higher profits.

It's where the money is. People on the east coast and midwest tend to vacation in the Caribbean. Tens of thousands of travelers choose ships to get there instead of planes (better value) . 

With Explora's 7 day itineraries + the Caribbean, Explora should do well.   

West coasters go to Hawaii or Mexican Riviera   But most people fly to Hawaii, so that cruise route isn't lucrative, and can't be done in 7 days. 

And Mexican Riviera cruises don't attract the same numbers as the Caribbean.  

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I think they did also.. We got a good price for our's.

As for the majority of cabins being OTs, yes but there are a significant number of PH's on Explorer.  In fact several are priced close to that of a Cove Residence.

I though the design was OK, but there is lots of wasted space.

The bathrooms are ridiculously small for the majority of the Residences.

The bedroom area is also small and rather claustrophobic -- this maximizes the living space but at the expense of the bedroom.

Only a Residence gets a butler.  We have gotten used to this on Regent, SS, and Crystal. 

Very few benefits -- no extra bookings at Marble or Sakura.  Champagne was recently changed and no more Dom.  Yes you get free laundry, but then on Regent everyone does.

I was in a bigger penthouse , it was just a big cabin  with a rather small bathroom and no separate restroom .

I did receive the Moet with a year - now already abolished and replaced by Mercier bubbles 

no other niceties granted to "penthouses" on other lines - was in PH on Hapag , SS and Crystal. 

14 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

The bathrooms are ridiculously small for the majority of the Residences.

We were in a Cocoon Residence and the bathroom was also small. Luckily, that suite also has a powder room, but the other Residences do not. On RSS and SS the higher suites nearly all have a half bath as well as a big master bathroom (much bigger than Explora).

Another thing that seemed out of sorts - all cabins seem to get the same small fridge from what we saw. Would expect a nicer bigger fridge to go along with the better seating and dining space in the Residences.  

• Like 3

I think they missed not just in the residences but also the PH.  Closet is not big, bathroom w/ a single sink and the DUMBEST thing, the switch to turn on the light on the outside of the bathroom.  Having been on-board for the last 10 days I think from people I have spoken to there are some like us who sail on SB, Regent, Scenic, etc. who were interested in trying out the brand, from the initial hype, high end champagne - no longer the case, a "different" approach to cruising, well I don't see that except in the terminology they use, hosts vs. crew, etc.  Then there are the people who sailed on MSC or Celebrity / Carnival who we spoke to who saw this as a step up. 

There are a LOT of really good things about this ship: the crew, food, outdoor spaces, 5 pools, 10+ plus bars, but a LOT IMO of things that could be much better.  Limited choice of included spirits, 1 bag of laundry per segment, poor included wines, lack of shaded outside spaces and the list goes on.  I find it surprising with the amount of money being put into this line they didn't do a better analysis of the existing luxury lines offerings and take the best of them.  

• Like 1

Are you inclined to do Explora again?   We'll soon board with supply of wine.  Guessing you have talked with more people that have considered Explora a move up versus the SB, Regent types.  What would you think the split to be?  My guess is 7 to 1.   Your last paragraph is spot on.

Not yet decided, have another 7 days on-board.  Problem is with 290 and now 325 pax hard to know how it works for 800.  As always needs to be the itinerary we are interested in, the timing etc.  Have 6 future cruises booked for end of this year and 2025 plus multiple land-based vacations and nothing I have seen yet for Explora excites me in the future.  But overall we really like the product.  

As to the move up ratio, probably equal to higher enders like us trying it out.  

Obviously you like it if coming back.  So much potential, maybe EJ III can rectify the shade issues and better bathroom design.   

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2024 at 2:44 AM, 2SailingNomads said:

I think they missed not just in the residences but also the PH.  Closet is not big, bathroom w/ a single sink and the DUMBEST thing, the switch to turn on the light on the outside of the bathroom.  Having been on-board for the last 10 days I think from people I have spoken to there are some like us who sail on SB, Regent, Scenic, etc. who were interested in trying out the brand, from the initial hype, high end champagne - no longer the case, a "different" approach to cruising, well I don't see that except in the terminology they use, hosts vs. crew, etc.  Then there are the people who sailed on MSC or Celebrity / Carnival who we spoke to who saw this as a step up. 

There are a LOT of really good things about this ship: the crew, food, outdoor spaces, 5 pools, 10+ plus bars, but a LOT IMO of things that could be much better.  Limited choice of included spirits, 1 bag of laundry per segment, poor included wines, lack of shaded outside spaces and the list goes on.  I find it surprising with the amount of money being put into this line they didn't do a better analysis of the existing luxury lines offerings and take the best of them.  

In the UK and most of Europe safety regulations prohibit electric switches and sockets inside bathrooms and toilets apart from low voltage sockets for razors and electric tooth brushes. Explora Journeys are probably following European guidelines, and all the cruise ships I have been on also follow these rules.

18 hours ago, saminina said:

Guessing you have talked with more people that have considered Explora a move up versus the SB, Regent types.  What would you think the split to be?  My guess is 7 to 1.   Your last paragraph is spot on.

7 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Not yet decided, have another 7 days on-board.  Problem is with 290 and now 325 pax hard to know how it works for 800.  As always needs to be the itinerary we are interested in, the timing etc.  Have 6 future cruises booked for end of this year and 2025 plus multiple land-based vacations and nothing I have seen yet for Explora excites me in the future.  But overall we really like the product.  

As to the move up ratio, probably equal to higher enders like us trying it out.  

Obviously you like it if coming back.  So much potential, maybe EJ III can rectify the shade issues and better bathroom design.   

We've sailed twice and did a few catamaran excursions where we chatted with a lot of people.

Basically everyone had been on Regent/Silversea/ and particularly Seabourn.  While there were many cruise first timers, there were extremely few people who had sailed on a premium or mass market line before.

On our second sailing we actually travelled with our friends who generally do Regent and Silversea.

I spoke to management on board and was told that Explora II will have a lot more shade and I would be getting more too on her return to Europe. We're also shade monsters and didn't find it a huge problem as we would just move once or twice a day. There's waaaaay more shade than the Regent Explorer Class Ships and it appears that there's basically no shade at all on Siver Nova and beyond.

We sailed with 400 on our first trip and between 600 and 700 for our second and the ship strangely felt much better with the additional passengers! Just a nicer vibe although it made second visits to Sakura and Marble next to impossible.

• Like 1

We haven't sailed with Explora yet, but we really like larger cabins, so for us we were shopping for a Grand Penthouse. But the pricing is all wrong relative to the Ocean Terraces. For us, an Owners Suite or Royal Suite in the MSC Yacht Club is a much better value, so that's where we've stayed for now. Weird though that we should probably be a target customer for Explora and I just can't make the leap.