Weather in LA in early January

I will be coming to LA at the beginning of January (from a temperate Southern Hemisphere summer). What type of weather can I look forward to? I am aware it will be winter and cool, but will I need a wool jersey or puffer jacket or is just a light rain jacket sufficient.

9 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Google search is your friend. Try "Los Angeles January weather". 

Yes, I did that. But having lived in a few places around the world I am aware that clothing needs differ even at the same temperature. 

49 minutes ago, sailingkiwi said:

I am aware it will be winter and cool, but will I need a wool jersey or puffer jacket or is just a light rain jacket sufficient.

No idea what a wool jersey or puffer jacket is, but you need more than a "light rain jacket". Overnight lows will be in the 40's, daytime highs in the 60's, maybe low 70's. The coast will be cooler than inland.

30 minutes ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

No idea what a wool jersey or puffer jacket is, but you need more than a "light rain jacket". Overnight lows will be in the 40's, daytime highs in the 60's, maybe low 70's. The coast will be cooler than inland.

Thanks. Might have used New Zealand English terms rather than American.

By Puffer Jacket I mean something like this - https://www.nordstrom.com/browse/women/clothing/coats-jackets/down-coats

By Wool jersey I mean something like this - https://www.nordstrom.com/s/joie-iena-pointelle-crewneck-wool-sweater/7156648?origin=category-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FWomen%2FClothing&color=065

Weather in LA in Jan can be all over the place.  Can be cold (what we consider cold is anything under 55 degrees) and rainy, or very warm ( 80 degrees) and sunny.  I would suggest a lightweight rain jacket, and 1 sweatshirt.  You can always purchase warmer clothes if you feel the need for them.  

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't bring a "puffer" but plan on dressing in layers.  If you're out late in the evening it will be cool and during the day if the sun is out and there's no wind you can wear shorts and t-shirts.  The further inland the warmer and along the coast cooler with fog in the AM.  It's seldom "ski" jacket cold, but a sweatshirt and wind shirt/jacket can be welcome.  Best thing is weather can be fairly predictable in advance.  So watch the local LA weather reports a week or two in advance and they will be pretty accurate.    

1 hour ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I wouldn't bring a "puffer" but plan on dressing in layers.  If you're out late in the evening it will be cool and during the day if the sun is out and there's no wind you can wear shorts and t-shirts.  The further inland the warmer and along the coast cooler with fog in the AM.  It's seldom "ski" jacket cold, but a sweatshirt and wind shirt/jacket can be welcome.  Best thing is weather can be fairly predictable in advance.  So watch the local LA weather reports a week or two in advance and they will be pretty accurate.    

This is great advice thanks. Sounds like our autumnal weather. 

We have sailed from SanPedro as our January treat - we have a sweater or light fleece for the first day of sailing (rain jacket is in the suitcase as a back up and has been needed).  Even first day of sailing south toward Mexico can be cool but we have it needed any heavier coat.  

No matter what the weather is like in Los Angeles, it will be cold and windy as you head north on your return to L.A. from the Mexican Riviera. Have done this cruise many times in January and never has the last day at sea been warm enough to stay out on deck.