LIVE from Oasis of the Seas Transatlantic (with bonus Disney World) April 2024

On 4/29/2024 at 9:03 AM, Jimbo said:

Chickies and Pete's using old bay on their French Fries, Philadelphia thing started back in 1977. They are called Crab Fries.

https://chickiesandpetes.com/what-are-crabfries/

Chickies and Petes Roosevelt Blvd - Crabfries and a Philadelphia Eagles  game: a Philadelphia classic! 🦅🏈 Our TVs at Chickie's & Pete's are set  and ready for the ultimate football viewing, so

I was a few days behind, scrolling through trying to catch up- the last thing I was expecting was to see an Eagles shirt holding some Crab fries in the blog, lol. 

• Haha 3

On 4/25/2024 at 3:31 AM, laurieal said:

A little girl approached me and asked what was wrong with me. I told her I was struggling with being confronted with my parents’ mortality and that I fear it will be just me caring for them eventually. She seemed confused. 

I had a really good laugh when I read this (thinking about the poor puzzled girl, knowing this was just what you were thinking and not what you actually said).

....then I read it again and had an anxiety attack thinking about my recently retired parents and my useless brother.  😱  There is now a good chance I will have a panic attack every time I see a cruise ship mini golf course. 🤣

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I was a few days behind, scrolling through trying to catch up- the last thing I was expecting was to see an Eagles shirt holding some Crab fries in the blog, lol. 

That is where crab fries started, In Philadelphia Eagles game, there was a Chickies and Pete's inside Veterans Stadium where the Eagles played.

History of Crabfries. At the onset of Chickie's & Pete's® in 1977, crabs were only served in the summer. Once the summer was over Pete needed something to do with all the leftover seasonings. So, he started experimenting with different combinations on french fries.

• Like 3

I’m so late again! I’ll try to catch up quickly before my tour. 

After dinner at Portside BBQ, I grabbed a seat at Boleros for the Perfect Couple Game Show. 

IMG_0897.thumb.jpeg.3ea29abcd30a883b8fe81e7cc8992957.jpeg

IMG_0898.thumb.jpeg.df5904185bdef8300715a4d1c0253690.jpeg

It was a funny way to pass the time. The guy who was hosting was hilarious. 

Then, at last, it was time for my Aqua 80 reservation. 

IMG_0900.thumb.jpeg.751c0e49824a18b9f51012290f8ae0bc.jpeg

IMG_0901.thumb.jpeg.3b1732d78c8f1a0371c6fcbef5d68673.jpeg

What an awesome show! A must see, for sure. My favourite part is always when they’re splashing around in, like, an inch of water. 

IMG_0902.thumb.jpeg.df6ef489bacd63a84772146bffc88823.jpeg

IMG_0911.thumb.jpeg.e43a89e8625af5b3fddfcccc2465eed7.jpeg

IMG_0916.thumb.jpeg.87de5fb2aa0f5bb76905d0697d6950cc.jpeg

IMG_0924.thumb.jpeg.271ad1a46e248fe5ec36f9542fa91d81.jpeg

Do not miss it if you’re on the Oasis. 

• Like 9

The plan was to end the evening there and go to bed, but I accidentally found myself in the 70s Party while trying to cross the ship to get to my stateroom. 

I ran into some people from the solo meetup and we had a little boogie together. 

IMG_0926.thumb.jpeg.ad1153e467fedc6cd3a2a8d5e6190048.jpeg

IMG_0929.thumb.jpeg.b670e103974ea58f611a89c3647f725c.jpeg

IMG_0930.thumb.jpeg.e643ca219034e847a25568abb1eff588.jpeg

IMG_0932.thumb.jpeg.7ae7d649e9d38922a895e1caf8cb7cea.jpeg

IMG_0934.thumb.jpeg.03c2753732c40bd9509e92d78d9e8d2a.jpeg

I went to bed as soon as it ended. 

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Roybthered said:

We sailed on Oasis 2 years ago out of NJ and did not try Portside BBQ so are looking forward to trying it out. We have the UDP so will be indulging as much as we can! We sail on Sunday (5th May) and are looking forward to a nice 7 nights away.  

That’s so fun! Enjoy!

With the UDP you’ll be able to try the whole menu!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

That is where crab fries started, In Philadelphia Eagles game, there was a Chickies and Pete's inside Veterans Stadium where the Eagles played.

History of Crabfries. At the onset of Chickie's & Pete's® in 1977, crabs were only served in the summer. Once the summer was over Pete needed something to do with all the leftover seasonings. So, he started experimenting with different combinations on french fries.

Yep, the original Chickies and Petes bar is in Northeast philly, just a little corner bar, now they're all over and all huge. Did you know Pete sent all of the local Pizza shops in and around Philly cease and desist orders if they were using the term "crab fries" on their menus. He also stole from his servers for a long time until he got caught, between that and the fact that I actually don't think the food is that good, I rarely go- BUT the line to buy fries at the Phillies games is HUGE, people wait 30-40 minutes to buy fries. 

@laurieal I see a little stage set up on the floor for 70s night... did the cool little bridge thing that unfolds from the globe not work? I LOVE that thing! 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Give me some tips on how you cook fresh corn  on the cob in an air fryer please?

11 hours ago, maggieq said:

We just bought one so would appreciate any tips on cooking in an air fryer.  Thanks!

Not sure how CC will do with links, but here goes. 

That’s the very basic recipe I have saved:

https://pin.it/1syq2fNNV

But you can also get a little wild with it:

https://pin.it/7mxBU04NT

The possibilities of spices are endless (Old Bay corn on the cob, maybe?). Just go to Pinterest, search for “air fryer corn on the cob” and follow your heart. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, perfect match said:

My cats have a very cute pink octopus 🐙 toy. I’ll post a picture of it when I get home. 

I’m not seeing any of the pictures you posted on this page.Could be the wonky Allure internet. It keeps going out today

This night 🦉 was up at 5:45 AM today to go snorkeling 🤿 and did not manage to fit in a nap today!  Ocean Aria was awesome tonight. I’m going to bed now which is way earlier than normal for me.

That’s sounds really cute 🐙 ❤️ 

I’m sorry about your internet. Ours have been excellent. The few things that I’ve had issues I think that it was CC’s fault. 

Where was the early snorkeling? Was it good?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, little britain said:

The WiFi on this cruise has been excellent the whole way. Not one drop out, and switching between devices has been seamless. 

@Rogueperson we were docked by 6:30a. Beat ya! 

@laurieal we missed that cat graffiti. Will have to look for it when I’m back next year. From the angle I’m guessing it’s on the front where the road kinks out? 

This is where I took the picture. 

IMG_0964.thumb.jpeg.c242ba94a37fb05fc549e6ca1d7338d3.jpeg

It’s close to the waterside promenade that goes around Cadiz. 

I’m a bit confused and I think there is someone who looks like you on the ship. I thought I was seeing you around, even talking to you, but now I’m not sure. 

I remember I met you in Central Park. But was it you I saw coming out of the theatre after Cats in the elevator chaos?

I thought I had run into you yesterday during the 70s party, but that lady was coming from 150 and had absolutely loved it. So now I’m thinking there are two of you 😂 Help!

25 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

@laurieal I see a little stage set up on the floor for 70s night... did the cool little bridge thing that unfolds from the globe not work? I LOVE that thing! 

The little bridge was open, but it was further from where I was. You can see it in the background here. 

IMG_0933.thumb.jpeg.bef132546a029944d8e820778947d7b1.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well…the power just went out in my stateroom. 

Edit: the captain just told us that the whole ship has suffered a blackout. They’re investigating why. Power is back in my room. 

Edit 2: captain just came on again to say the power is back on the whole ship. Apparently a blackout is rare, but it can happen when equipment fails. All is fine and they always had power on the bridge with backup power for the important equipment. 

Edited by laurieal
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, laurieal said:

Well…the power just went out in my stateroom. 

Edit: the captain just told us that the whole ship has suffered a blackout. They’re investigating why. Power is back in my room. 

At least the ship wasn’t moving when you lost power.  As a Marylander, I’m keenly terrified when that happened in Baltimore.

• Like 2

At this moment, I’m looking over at you.

IMG_0132.thumb.jpeg.9646cc4ace5a1f386c997ffddac485b2.jpeg

This is the closest i can get to you.  The one real design flaw i hate is that there is no truly public space that views the front of the ship.

IMG_0133.thumb.jpeg.336fb4643414c96f6ba1fbd884801e3f.jpeg

I can’t get past this as this is Richard’s Rooftop and you have to be a rockstar to get in (suite lounge?).

I’m looking for ya @laurieal 🤪

image.png.bcff288289c63cb93c59f7c2ab086bce.png

Plus you might be looking for pier runners as you’re all aboard for you is 4:30.  We are here later.  Out all aboard is 9:30.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 4/19/2024 at 2:39 PM, Jimbo said:

As far as food goes @laurieal you are going to be in a total letdown once you get on Oasis. You have had some amazing food in Disney this week. Royal's food is nothing like what you have had this week.

I just saw this post from @Jimbo.  I believe you are a Royal caribbean fan like I am.  You were with me in Greenland last year on Jewel?  There was another Jimbo, so i get confused.

Here’s the kicker for me.  Granted, I ate less meals at Disney than Laurieal, but on my end…. The food *here* is NOT a letdown.  In fact, in some ways, its better!!!

• Like 4

I'm very late to the party and have made it through the Disney World portion of your trip. I love all things Disney and loved reading about your experience. A few comments:

1. Your food and beverage game is so strong! I loved seeing what you ate and made a few notes for our next visit. I'll go looking for some of the snacks you shared, in particular.

2. Totally agree with you re: mobile ordering. Such a huge time saver at peak meal times!

3. Love, love, love your progressive dinner idea and have added this to my list for a future visit.

4. Did you try Satu'li Canteen during one of your visits to AK? It is my new favorite for quick service, which is saying something at AK. The bowls are amazing.

5. We also paid for ILLs twice during one visit to ride Guardians... and laughed all the way through both rides. That ride represents the very best of what their Imagineers can do.

Luckily it's a slow day at work, because now I'm hooked and want to follow your adventures on the TA!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rogueperson said:

At least the ship wasn’t moving when you lost power.  As a Marylander, I’m keenly terrified when that happened in Baltimore.

It was so horrible to watch. Those poor people must have felt so helpless watching it happen without being able to do anything 😔 

I’m guessing with a huge ship like Oasis there is more room onboard for backup equipment for all the essential bits? Captain seemed to say that even if we had been moving we would have been fine. 

Still, probably better for it to happen while docked. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

I see you all need a head start….Here’s you backing out of the harbor.

See you in Valencia.  GO TEAM SCARLET LADY!

IMG_0136.thumb.jpeg.b495a5924271b9431da2b171d5b687cc.jpeg

I had to miss sailaway, unfortunately. Otherwise I would have waved from somewhere you could have seen me with those binoculars. 

See you soon! Are you in port tomorrow?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

I'm very late to the party and have made it through the Disney World portion of your trip. I love all things Disney and loved reading about your experience. A few comments:

1. Your food and beverage game is so strong! I loved seeing what you ate and made a few notes for our next visit. I'll go looking for some of the snacks you shared, in particular.

2. Totally agree with you re: mobile ordering. Such a huge time saver at peak meal times!

3. Love, love, love your progressive dinner idea and have added this to my list for a future visit.

4. Did you try Satu'li Canteen during one of your visits to AK? It is my new favorite for quick service, which is saying something at AK. The bowls are amazing.

5. We also paid for ILLs twice during one visit to ride Guardians... and laughed all the way through both rides. That ride represents the very best of what their Imagineers can do.

Luckily it's a slow day at work, because now I'm hooked and want to follow your adventures on the TA!

Thank you and welcome aboard!

Sharing snacks was such a game changer. When I’m alone, I can’t try that many things because I don’t like wasting food and I’m never hungry enough. 

We tried Satu’li Canteen the day I was there with my friends, which I didn’t report because I  was so behind and couldn’t catch up. I love the bowls. They’re some of the best quick service food I’ve ever had at Disney. Also delicious is the blue mousse 🤤 

Guardians is SO good. I was thinking about it last night during Aqua 80 because both soundtracks share some songs. I think I will make it a new life goal to get all the songs from Guardians. I’m not off to a great start, but it will give me an excuse to ride again (and again). 

• Like 2