Do you prefer sailing on newer or older NCL ships?

Personally I love the newer, bigger ships. There's just more to do, more venues to explore, more options for restaurants, and usually the latest/greatest innovations. A lot of experienced staff go with the new ships, too, so I find the service level is really fantastic. The rooms and architecture also don't usually look as tired. Love more of a modern look, too. That being said, I usually give it a little time before I sail a new vessel just so some growing pains can be worked out.

Just booked our 7th NCL cruise to South Pacific and like so many others, it’s not the ship it’s the itinerary.  Also turns out we’ve bagged some cracking cruises after NCL cancellations and “redeployments”.
About to take our 3rd sailing on Sky, guess age means nothing to us. I quite like a creaky ship, feels like the the ships got a bit of character and gives you the feeling of actually being at sea😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Not exactly. We're on the Pearl out of NY next April. It's a TA...so maybe not something you'd be into.

Yes, the TA cruises are the only ones that I see pop up for NYC when I search.  I would love to do one of those but I think I’d prefer one of the bigger ships for that.  And if I have to fly, I’d rather fly to Europe and cruise back to NY.

I have not been on newer NCL ships, but I love the older smaller ships.  I sailed a larger ship on RCCL and felt like everything and everywhere was crowded and hurry up and wait. I sail mainly for the itineraries.  The ship gives me a bed, food, and some entertainment.  I'm not a foodie, so the main dining rooms and buffets alone are fine for me. I don't want or need pool slides, race cars, etc. I like a good acoustical guitar player in a lounge and the shows in the main theater. 

I'm currently considering a cruise on the Joy or Bliss and was checking out this thread to see why people like the newer larger ships.

• Like 2

We love the BA+ ships (we have cruised them all, some multiple times).  But other than one trip on the Sky, the BA+ ships are all we've experienced.  DH and I were spoiled on our first NCL cruise on the Escape with a Haven upgrade to the OS and we have not looked back.  I love the ship within a ship concept and the BA+ class ships seem to hit the "suite spot" with amenities.  

I don't understand why age has anything to do with it.  The newest ships are smaller than some classes of older ships

I stick with Encore, Bliss, any jewel class, sun, sky.

I haven't yet sailed the Sprit but will soon and expect it to be much like the smaller ships listed above.  I won't experience Prima class until next year and Aqua in 2026.

I don't consider any of the others because they don't have observation lounges.  Joy went from my sail list to avoid list when they butchered that nice OL.

• Like 1

Itinerary is our # one reason to book a specific cruise.

All things equal, when we sail NCL we enjoy the Jewel Class the most.

Fewer Crowds & easier to get around.

However - with the right itinerary we are happy to sail on any size ship!!!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

We like peace and quiet and want to relax while we cruise with no need to make a reservation to everywhere and schedule our days deciding in advance when we want to see a show etc. Hence we choose the smaller NCL ships. We tried the Joy once and it truly wasn’t something that we liked to put it nicely. So Jewel class ships it is for us or Spirit. Or if not NCL we will cruise HAL, Oceania or RSSC. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

5 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

We like peace and quiet and want to relax while we cruise with no need to make a reservation to everywhere and schedule our days deciding in advance when we want to see a show etc. Hence we choose the smaller NCL ships.

Smaller NCL ships don't require dining reservations?  That's something new.

On 4/12/2024 at 6:44 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

I don't understand why age has anything to do with it.  The newest ships are smaller than some classes of older ships

I stick with Encore, Bliss, any jewel class, sun, sky.

I haven't yet sailed the Sprit but will soon and expect it to be much like the smaller ships listed above.  I won't experience Prima class until next year and Aqua in 2026.

I don't consider any of the others because they don't have observation lounges.  Joy went from my sail list to avoid list when they butchered that nice OL.

I tend to like Breakaway and Breakaway + ships....more amenities...lots to do, etc.

But, I am itching to sail the Spirit.  It looks fabulous since the refurb based on the pictures I've seen.

We're pretty much about itinerary first and foremost.  I like any ship as long as the entertainment is good.  My husband enjoys the energy of big ships with lots of action.  We're doing a European "Side2Side" on the Celebrity Constellation (very old small ship) followed by the Viva next month, so that should be an interesting contrast.  We've sailed on the Constellation before and were both fine with it.  The Viva cost well over twice as much, which will make the comparison even more interesting.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Von & John said:

Itinerary is our # one reason to book a specific cruise.

All things equal, when we sail NCL we enjoy the Jewel Class the most.

Fewer Crowds & easier to get around.

However - with the right itinerary we are happy to sail on any size ship!!!

As noted above - All things equal - if you are asking specific NCL Class...

When we sail NCL we enjoy the Jewel Class the most.

Someone mentioned the Spirit - we have not been on the Spirit since 2015 - but Loved our Cruise & the Ship...

Would love to sail w/ her new look to see if she is still as great!

We've enjoyed all our cruises - just some more than others 🙂 

Again - with the right itinerary we are happy to sail on any size ship!!

Edited by Von & John
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Smaller NCL ships don't require dining reservations?  That's something new.

No NCL ship "requires" dining reservations...at least not for the MDR. We have yet to make a reservation for any MDR and have never had a problem getting in either immediately, or a couple minute wait.

Now, if you're talking Specialty restaurants, that's a different ballgame. Although, I know of people who have walked up to a Specialty restaurant and gotten in. So, in that case, reservations weren't "required".

Edited by schmoopie17

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

No NCL ship "requires" dining reservations...at least not for the MDR. We have yet to make a reservation for any MDR and have never had a problem getting in either immediately, or a couple minute wait.

Now, if you're talking Specialty restaurants, that's a different ballgame. Although, I know of people who have walked up to a Specialty restaurant and gotten in. So, in that case, reservations weren't "required".

You are absolutely correct. I used the wrong words.  The post I was responding to read as if they weren't making any plans in advance and that on smaller ships that isn't necessary.  Technically, it's not.  But if there is a specialty you wish to eat in around dinner time, an advance reservation in most of the venues is highly useful.  The are often "required" if you don't want to get stuck waiting until later at night to eat.

i like older ships.

>They are the smaller (in NCL) ships. i like the smaller ship vibe
>smaller ships have in my opinion a wider variety of destinations.
>smaller ship regardless of line tend to be less expensive. i would rather have 2 cruises on a older ship than one on a brand-new ship. 

The Jewel class are my true love with NCL (I would call these a medium ship)

I wonder in the future when it is time to NCL to replace its' small ships: Spirit, Sun, Sky, Dawn, Star and yes the Jewel class if NCL will replace these with megaships or replace them with a single class of smaller/midsize ships.  

5 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

on PoA there were some large lines for the MDR.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, MSUjohn said:

on PoA there were some large lines for the MDR.

That was our experience too on the Joy. We did not make bookings for main dining room and had to regret it. Once we waited over one hour to be seated. The second time we waited well over 30mins. The third time we went right when they opened up and there were long lines already then…but we got in without a beeper. The staff just said to us ”it’s like this always on the Joy, if you don’t want to wait book your MDR table in advance”. And you couldn’t book MDR anymore during the cruise but would have had to do it in advance even before the cruise. 

So yes we like the small ships where all you need to book is the specialty dining and thats only 1-2 days of the cruise. Other days you go to the MDR whenever you wish and you’ll be seated very quickly. You go to a show when you feel like it, not book it in advance. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl