How many menu category dishes can you order at one seating?

A 7-night cruise should have 2 'dressy' nights. 

You can order as many dishes as you want. But please, if you order them, eat them (unless they are not fit to eat). 

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, RuthC said:

A 7-night cruise should have 2 'dressy' nights. 

You can order as many dishes as you want. But please, if you order them, eat them (unless they are not fit to eat).

I agree on ordering only what you think you will eat. I'm not a fan of ordering just because you can and walking away leaving a full meal on the table because it's "included". I'm mainly interested in 2 starters like soup & salad or possible 2 desserts..... Providing after eating starter & main course I'd even have room for 1 dessert let alone 2.😉

• Like 2

Friends taught us about ordering a plate (or more) "for the table" if there is something several want to taste but are unsure about commiting to eat a whole serving.   

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Southpaw97470 said:

I agree on ordering only what you think you will eat. I'm not a fan of ordering just because you can and walking away leaving a full meal on the table because it's "included". I'm mainly interested in 2 starters like soup & salad or possible 2 desserts..... Providing after eating starter & main course I'd even have room for 1 dessert let alone 2.😉

You can definitely have 2 starters. Have been on the Zaandam for 11 nights now, have had two starters every night.

You can definitely have two appetizers. And you can ask for smaller portions on the mains if you think you’re too full, say, for a full serving of prime rib. You can also ask for a part of another main. My table companion ordered a chicken dish and also asked for just the steak from another dish to be added to her plate. 

In general, my wife and I order three appetizers, three entrees, and three desserts as we like to try a wide variety of dishes.  Honestly, we have never had to send back a dish in two cruises on HAL as they are so well executed.

I have had more execution problems on the RCCL lines and any steak product I have had in the MDR with Princess.

• Thanks 1

I read some cruise lines are clamping down on the multiple entrees etc thing due to lots of wastage by some, again very rarely see it on European cruises where lots will have starter, pasta dish, entree and dessert and eat them all as that’s what they have normally.

13 hours ago, Southpaw97470 said:

There’s also the option of visiting the Lido for another dessert- the selection there is larger than the MDR.

I can remember when MDR menus were laid out to accommodate a five+ course meal:  appetizers, soup course,  salad course,  an extra pasta course if you’re on Princess Cruises, the main course and then dessert,  the menu was split up that way.  The portions weren’t huge but it did add up to a rather large ,  leisurely meal.  These days it’s a faster turnaround environment in the main dining room which is why I generally prefer late seating.  I still often order 4 courses and occasionally dessert,  the starters aren’t huge.

enjoy!