Getting from Ravenna cruise port to city center?

thebsinmiss

We are stopping at Ravenna cruise port on our June 2024 Riviera cruise. Dock at 11 am and depart at 9 pm. Looks like we are the only ship in port on that date.  My issue is we want to do a self tour of the 4-5 main mosaic sites in the old town/downtown and O does not offer a shuttle service. 

From other posts (I've searched cc and googled it) It sounds like there are about 20 taxis in the whole town and they are more interested in long trips from the port to Venice etc... I also see a city bus option (walk 15 minutes from the port then catch the bus which takes about 30 minutes) I found that info on the Ravenna tourist visitor site.

Anyone have recent experience/recommendations on the best/simplest way for 4 people to get from the ship to downtown and then back ?

Sounds like catching a cab at the railroad station back to the ship is not as problematic as from ship to town?

Appreciate any personal experience. 

When I stopped in Ravenna, the port had a free shuttle bus into the city. It was very close to the cathedral and old part of town. We enjoyed the cathedral. The mosaic designs are beautiful.  We also walked in old town. Shopping was good.  Enjoyed Ravenna.

Perfect !  Do you remember where you caught the shuttle (ie: right outside port terminal?) and did you have to book anything or was it just hop on the bus.....first come/first served. 

Shouldn't be that crowded as far as cruise passengers go since it currently shows just Riviera in port which is 1250 passengers. The O "mosaic shore excursion" is $136.00 Cdn p/p   That's a lot for a bus ride, a guide for part of the time and I assume entry tickets (12 euro on line). 

We are really looking forward to this based on the various youtube videos

Just curious what you were basing that O didn't have a shuttle here on? Have you read other reports, talked to someone, read through the pinned post above? 

I've found many times that we don't always know whether or not there is a shuttle until we see the Currents the night before a port stop. 

ORV

I searched online, on the O website (not a lot of help) and called the O number and asked. Was told they did not see any notes about a O shuttle/transfer in to town.  I will ask again once we are on board as I assume they should have better/more current information.

Just to be safe I am assuming there won't be one and I want to make sure of all of our options.  The tourism offices shuttle sounds like a reliable and known option 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, thebsinmiss said:

ORV

I searched online, on the O website (not a lot of help) and called the O number and asked. Was told they did not see any notes about a O shuttle/transfer in to town.  I will ask again once we are on board as I assume they should have better/more current information.

Just to be safe I am assuming there won't be one and I want to make sure of all of our options.  The tourism offices shuttle sounds like a reliable and known option 

Perhaps the situation has changed, but in the past Oceania has not itself provided shuttles at ports, but rather, if they are available, the local ports that would be the entity that provides them.  

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Redtravel said:

When I stopped in Ravenna, the port had a free shuttle bus into the city. It was very close to the cathedral and old part of town. We enjoyed the cathedral. The mosaic designs are beautiful.  We also walked in old town. Shopping was good.  Enjoyed Ravenna.

When was your experience? 

In October 2022 there was no port shuttle.