La Spezia

Bin man

Posted (edited)

@Bin manYes. It a small town but has lots of interesting old buildings to wander around and see. If the market is on then lots to mooch around there too, not just food.

For me the highlight was trying some really authentic local cuisine. Follow the locals at lunch time and you can’t go wrong. We ended up in a place called La Pia which had a very small menu but did an absolutely brilliant version of Farinata. It’s just a small cafe in a back street but well known for this particular food. 

We also stopped off for cheese and wine in a pavement cafe. It served all local cheeses and wines. Lots of places to choose from, enjoy a glass and people watch.

If you just want a quiet day, strolling, admiring the scenery and trying good food / wine then yes a great day locally.

When we were there last you were not allowed to walk through the port but it was a two minute shuttle drop off and right into the main promenade area. They were doing work so you may just be able to walk in now, it’s not far at all.

Edited by Eglesbrech
Add tag

2 hours ago, Bin man said:

Is there anything interesting in La Spezia if you don't do tours

Yes. One of the best pizzas I have had and delicious ice cream.

You can also catch the train to all the Cinque Terre towns 

• Like 1

There is a good Naval history museum a short walk from where you dock, we enjoyed it. U boats used to use La Spezia in WW2 as a supply port.

15 minutes ago, happy v said:

Yes. One of the best pizzas I have had and delicious ice cream.

You can also catch the train to all the Cinque Terre towns 

We will get the local ferry to Porto venere. Not really a trip.

• Like 1

Hi, been to la spezia a few times and if you get a local bus, or walk to the train station there is a superb train service to the cinque terre.   Four of the five villages on the on train line and each great to visit.  You can buy a ticket for day on train and hop on hop off at leisure.  Plenty time in port to do all four villages and get back via la spezia for a glass of vino

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Porto Venere by ferry from the waterfront. Takes about half an hour. Beautiful place and great for lunch. 

That's the plan.

20221009_144334.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'd endorse either the train to the Cinque Terre - use it like a HoHo.  Probably ignore the town on top.of the hill. It's a climb to get there and not the most rewarding use of time.  Vernazza is the jewel in the crown imo. 

Or the ferry to Porto Venere.

Both very doable and excellent day out.

Edited by kruzseeka

We did the ships tour ( by boat) to the Cinque Terre. Quite happy with it. You could do the trip by rail or even commercial  boat from the port but we weren’t too sure about timings. 

I have been looking at things to do in my upcoming Arvia cruise and Cinque Terre by train is definitely on the list now. 

I’d like to potentially do 3 of these stops so assume the card is the best way to go but I was wondering can you purchase these the day before or even in the day online just in case of any reason this port stop doesn’t happen. 

Also is there anything you definitely recommend on the trip, mindful we have a 9 year old with us?